The online racing simulator
How advertising affects you?
(35 posts, started )
#1 - TiJay
For my Media course, I have to research how advertising affects consumers' buying choices and views of products so if you take a sec answering a couple of questions it'd really help

1) Have you ever bought a product on the strength of an advert alone and why?

2) Have you ever bought a product because it had an aspirational advert that appealed to you and what was it? (eg Lynx ads show the product making someone a hit with the ladies)

3) Do the production values of adverts affect your view of the product? (eg Marks & Spencers vs Iceland)

4) Skoda cars are made by VW yet more people buy the more expensive VWs over the cheaper Skodas because of Skoda's past image. Do you buy products based on brand name alone?

All answers are much appreciated

No - I'm not that stupid.

2) Have you ever bought a product because it had an aspirational advert that appealed to you and what was it? (eg Lynx ads show the product making someone a hit with the ladies)

Not really.

3) Do the production values of adverts affect your view of the product? (eg Marks & Spencers vs Iceland)

No.

4) Skoda cars are made by VW yet more people buy the more expensive VWs over the cheaper Skodas because of Skoda's past image. Do you buy products based on brand name alone?

No.
#3 - Vain
1. No. But I decided not to buy a product because of the intrusiveness of it's advertisment. Like flash-popups on internet pages or excessively loud/flashy/annoying TV ads.
2. No.
3. No.
4. Partially.
Porsche also shares quite a few parts with VW. That doesn't turn a VW Beetle into a 911.
Additionally, sometimes I just like a specific company more and would rather give them my money then a different one, even if those make the slightly better product.

Vain
No. Though I'm not too sure about...
No. I can't think that I've ever bought anything just because it would make me feel (even) more attractive.
(eg Marks & Spencers vs Iceland)...?
No. I almost bought a skoda but didn't even think about buying VW.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken

not quite, but i have checked out the item on based on the advert.

not that i can think of, but i would say that i prob have.

no, i tend to get the most of of my money...more bang for your buck, as they say

no. although i am a honda man, and i like what they stand for in their motorcycles, i would buy the best bike, or product, that i could, for the price range that i have.
#6 - TiJay
Thanks so far guys, this is the right kind of stuff- and more will be much appreciated

Quote :I've been considering going into my local M&S and asking the staff where the Not Just Toilet Roll, This Is Soft, Fluffy, White, Embossed, Luxurious, Decadent, Hand-Perforated Toilet Roll is.

^ Good idea.

No. I don't watch TV, listen to the radio, read the paper, or leave the house. Ad block on web pages. My own rule is to spend at least two weeks researching before any major purchase.

See above.

See above

By brand name alone, no, but I will admit it does often have influence.
No to all four questions.
Also no to all four. The reasons have already been stated above.
No x 4.

No. I have, however, researched products which were brought to my attention through advertising.

No.

Depends on the product type. If it's food/drink then yes. If it's something more technical (TV, PC etc) then no.

No.
I'm with everyone else, no to all 4. I simply hate advertising. Companies spend millions and millions on advertising, thus increasing the cost of their products so they can cover the cost of that advertising. The only thing you see advertised anymore is products that you already know about. I already know what a Honda or a Toyota is, I'm not about to see an ad for a Toyota and go "Wow, that looks awesome! Gotta go get me one of those!" It's not like I've never seen a Toyota before. Same with McDonalds, clothing, store ads, cleaning products, etc, etc. It really ticks me off that satelite radio subscribers pay for satelite radio so that they don't have to listen to advertisements, yet, I pay for satelite television and I'm subjected to watching more advertisements than I am the TV show I'm trying to watch. Same with intrusive ads on the computer and internet.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I've been considering going into my local M&S and asking the staff where the Not Just Toilet Roll, This Is Soft, Fluffy, White, Embossed, Luxurious, Decadent, Hand-Perforated Toilet Roll is.

LMAO

But seriously ... M&S food is good stuff, especially the sarnies

No

No

Yeap

No
Quote from TiJay :

no, but i have often ernough started to avoid products because of the stupidity of their adverts.
Quote :

no, i'm usually wondering whether the ad guys really think i'm that stupid.
Quote :

no.
Quote :

no.

all in all, even if i apprectiate some well made ads, but even then i view them isolated from the product and i usually don't change my view on the product.

No, the advert makes me look at it but first i check the price and see if it would be worth spending my hard earned cash on.

Not knowingly, although i get lynx shower gel all the time other than the cheaper stuff...i just pick it up without thinking about it.

Iceland has an ex drug addict mother of the year, yet i still shop there because the Sainsburys near me never has milk...because Sainsburys sucks.

No but there is a reason some brand names are better known than others, i buy things because they have a good reputation. VW has a better history of providing quality cars than Skoda, why get a Skoda made by VW if you can get a VW in the first place...
No, because I like to try and make an informed decision, collecting results from benchmarks, and first hand experience.

No.

Not knowingly.

No.
Some interesting points right there

As for me:

1) Nope.

2) Well, I buy Lynx all the time but it's just a subconscious habit thing.

3) Sometimes. If an ad is exceedingly cheap and crappy, then I reckon the product will be too. And those channel 5 etc insurance ads just scream "ambulance chasers".

4) I wouldn't buy a Skoda- because of the name party and because there are better, cheaper cars.
1) No. Bit silly, that.

2) No. I bought Lynx long before they had any cool adverts

3) No. Although I have to say I do hate cheap and crap adverts. Cillit Bang ads make me want to sandpaper that guys face.

4) No. In fact, I quite like the newer Skoda models. My mum had a couple back when I was a kid and they were way more reliable than my uncle's VW (he had to borrow hers in winter sometimes). Not cool, but better than walking.
I'd be perfectly happy if someone handed me an Octavia or 06 Fabia
Since I don't own a TV all the below is relevant to printed and online advertisements.

1) No, never.

2) No, never.

3) No. If I see a well-designed advert I might pause and consider the effort put into it and if it really stands out I will very likely remember the product as a reference. But it won't affect my views on the product itself.

4) No, not on brand name alone. IF it's between choosing between a brandname and a no-name for the same product specs then I'd only go with the brandname if I didn't have a way of evaluating the no-name aforehand. For example: recently I was in the market for a high-RPM rotary tool - I went with Dremel as the brand I chose because I couldn't really try-out the exact-spec alternatives (which were 1/3 the price).
Quote from TiJay :1) Have you ever bought a product on the strength of an advert alone and why?

No, ads never represent the actual product. And add may lead to an inquiry about a product; but only if the product is completely new to me. Basically, ads just make the product aware to me, they never determine whether or not I'll buy it.

Quote :2) Have you ever bought a product because it had an aspirational advert that appealed to you and what was it? (eg Lynx ads show the product making someone a hit with the ladies)

Nope; again, an add just makes the product known to me.

Quote :3) Do the production values of adverts affect your view of the product? (eg Marks & Spencers vs Iceland)

Actually, yes, sometimes. If it's a product I care nothing about or have never heard of, a poor quality ad will ruin the image of the company/product. (as seen in all Atlanta-area colleges with ads on TBS; poor quality, poor writing, and even worse acting) If it is a product I've heard of, or along the lines of something I'd consider perchasing, it does not affect it because I do my own research to find out if it is quality or not.

Quote :4) Skoda cars are made by VW yet more people buy the more expensive VWs over the cheaper Skodas because of Skoda's past image. Do you buy products based on brand name alone?

Very rarely; I can't think of a particular occasion that this has happened, but I'm sure I've done it before. Of course, if the product is crap it is crap, and I won't buy that company any more

no, adverts are biased

no, once again adverts will make their products look appealing so you but them, which does not ever give a truthfull veiw on the product

nope

sometimes, but mostly if i like it i get it and base my opinion on the actually quality itself, not the assuned quality of expensive products.

No.

Absolutely not.

The more money a company spends on advertising, the more their customers pay to finance said advertising. If anything a flashy advert puts me off.

There are some brands to which I am drawn when I think about what to buy, but that's based on previous experience of the brand, not advertising. If there's an alternative which looks better and/or cheaper, bye-bye brand name

No, never, I dont trust adverts (unless they advertise something cheap that I can try)
No, never
ehm....I guess not....
No I dont, but I would buy a VW because it doesnt have a shameful history
#25 - SamH
Yes. I've bought chocolate bars because I like the look of them in the ad. As with everyone else here, I'd prefer to think I'm above being "fooled" by advertising, but I've been made aware of products via advertising, that I've subsequently bought. I've never seen an ad, bought the product, disliked the product, seen the ad and been tricked into buying it again though.

Even I know that nothing on this earth is going to cause me to be a hit with the ladies. I've bought kewl brand names before, though, probably subconsciously in the belief that their kewlness will magically transfer to me. Particularly in my teens, where branding was a key consideration. Long past now, though.

Yes. I'll never call the PI Helpline while they have that sweaty fat bloke on TV. Memorable adverts stand a better chance with me.

Again, I want to say I don't but the truth is that I do. If I had the money to walk into a showroom and buy a new car, I'd walk into VW's before I walked into Skoda's. I'd do that fully in the belief that the Skodas are just as good as their VW counterparts. Funnily enough, this is also why I'd never actually drive away with a VW. But I wouldn't be seen dead buying a Skoda either. I'm offended by badge engineering - particularly since the Rover/Honda days, where Rovers were £Ks more expensive and utterly crap (being built in Longbridge), and so I wouldn't ever buy a product where I'm being blatantly ripped off. Even if I had the money and it didn't "matter".

(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG