The online racing simulator
What would the world be like in a 1,000,000 years?
Pretty scary huh...

If human are still alive by then i think we wont be living on earth, we would of run out of water, fuel, oil, clean air ect. or all the ice will melt and earth will be flooded , We will blow up the whole world from nuclear attacks or history will repeat its self and a commit will hit earth.

By then i think we would evolve slowly into like a land whale lol, especially if mcdonald is around...

so... what would the world be like in a 1,000,000 years?
#2 - Krane
Quote from Arrow. :what would the world be like in a 1,000,000 years?

Look up on a clear night there's a very likely example very close to earth.
#3 - CSU1
Ok, we are now long over due for a shift in the polarity in the Earths magnetic poles; this will not see any major differences in the overall warming of the planet, it will just shift the storm systems all over the place, deserts will flourrish, forests will dry-out.That could happen in the space of two decades!.
The human race is too intelligent to become extinct, Nasa has a plan to send toxic vapour producing mechanised factorys to Mars in the near future, when up and running they will create a layer around Mars in-turn slowley creating an atmosphere!
Then we will move there! simple! we are not doomed
To answer that question I think we need to know whether the universe is expanding or contracting, and the rate of the expansion/contraction.
i don't care what happens. As long as i got S3, very unlikly.
Quote from CSU1 :Ok, we are now long over due for a shift in the polarity in the Earths magnetic poles; this will not see any major differences in the overall warming of the planet, it will just shift the storm systems all over the place, deserts will flourrish, forests will dry-out.That could happen in the space of two decades!.

Thats weird.. I was having a discussion with some guys on a private forum about this a few days ago I'm not convinced on all of the generalisations, but I agree it would screw us up. Birds, for instance, take upto 2 generations to work it out and correct themselves.

Don't forget that computers will just stop working, since they rely on the current magnetic fields. Bits will be flipped (0 would become 1 and vice versa), etc. No more debt, etc. Since all reasonable backup is either:
1. Tape
2. Hard drive
3. RAMSAN
No data!

Quote from CSU1 : The human race is too intelligent to become extinct, Nasa has a plan to send toxic vapour producing mechanised factorys to Mars in the near future, when up and running they will create a layer around Mars in-turn slowley creating an atmosphere!

In my opinion we should've been on the moon long ago. I agree that space is the hope of our survival, but we don't seem to be that bothered atm I can't agree that we're too intelligent to become extinct though.

Quote from Gentlefoot :To answer that question I think we need to know whether the universe is expanding or contracting, and the rate of the expansion/contraction.

The general belief is expanding, and the rate is co-incidentally 247 * the speed of the average little chef waitress.
lol i would much rather be alive then have s3
Quote from CSU1 :Ok, we are now long over due for a shift in the polarity in the Earths magnetic poles; this will not see any major differences in the overall warming of the planet, it will just shift the storm systems all over the place, deserts will flourrish, forests will dry-out.That could happen in the space of two decades!.
The human race is too intelligent to become extinct, Nasa has a plan to send toxic vapour producing mechanised factorys to Mars in the near future, when up and running they will create a layer around Mars in-turn slowley creating an atmosphere!

Not really - our understand of magnetic pole shifts is very weak
But we are pretty sure that when it happens it'll be much much worse than you describe
The human is so intelligent we WILL become extinct! We have a very poor record of doing the right thing
Mars will take a long time to create a breathable, supportable, atmosphere. It's just science fiction at the moment - getting support for funding etc.
We won't move there. A few people will go there and start a new race, but the majority of humans on earth will stay on earth.
#9 - CSU1
Quote from Gentlefoot :To answer that question I think we need to know whether the universe is expanding or contracting, and the rate of the expansion/contraction.

if arrow = X~, and the dictionary = >x, his post = X - 1,000,000, then ...contracting...yes the univers is contracting.
#10 - CSU1
Quote from tristancliffe :Not really - our understand of magnetic pole shifts is very weak
But we are pretty sure that when it happens it'll be much much worse than you describe
The human is so intelligent we WILL become extinct! We have a very poor record of doing the right thing
Mars will take a long time to create a breathable, supportable, atmosphere. It's just science fiction at the moment - getting support for funding etc.
We won't move there. A few people will go there and start a new race, but the majority of humans on earth will stay on earth.

Yes, we don't know alot about how the shifts effected the envoirment in the past, but what we can tell is that it happens periodically, and are loooong overdue by averages

...and the rest of you post...C'mon you have to show/believe some hope...hope...
Actually, I think a more pertinent question is "Is the rate of expansion/contraction changing?" If the universe is expanding now what is the rate of expansion? Is it expanding faster or slower than a million years ago? If the answer is slower, then at some point the overall mass of the universe will be greater than the momentum of expansion and the universe will begin to contract, eventually resulting in a 'Singularity' where the universe is contained in a space of infinate minuteness and mass at the same time Then maybe another big bang, and the cycle starts all over again. - that's what I beleieve anyway.

Hmm - never did get my head round the concept of singularity - or infinity for that matter
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from xaotik :I think that the most pressing question which rises from this issue is "who will be eaten first?"

ROLF

1M years is a lot of time. First, humans have to survive capitalism and democracy...
Quote from Eldanor :ROLF

1M years is a lot of time. First, humans have to survive capitalism and democracy...

...and that's pretty unlikely

But the question was "What will the World be like". The world doesn't necasarily have to include humans . So I guess the debate can continue.
Quote from Gentlefoot :Hmm - never did get my head round the concept of singularity - or infinity for that matter

A limitation of the human mind. No one can actually understand the concept, even if they can understand the consequences or the meaning.
Quote from tristancliffe :A limitation of the human mind. No one can actually understand the concept, even if they can understand the consequences or the meaning.

I'm glad you said that. It just seems funny to me that we all accept a concept that no-one understands. Usually in Mathematics, if you come up with the answer Infinity, it means you've made a mistake somewhere.
Too long to make a guess. But i think we'll be able to modify ourselves dna's so we can survive in any environment we like. Or even maybe we'll transfer our beeing into a chip and start living in a robot body. (we'll need antivirus
Quote from ZORER :Too long to make a guess. But i think we'll be able to modify ourselves dna's so we can survive in any environment we like. Or even maybe we'll transfer our beeing into a chip and start living in a robot body. (we'll need antivirus

Ofcourse we may well all have been compressed into an infinately small space by then. I don't think anyone (or anything) will survive that somehow. lol
Cockroaches will
Changing ourselves is the only way to conquer the universe(s).We must do that.

Maybe we'll find the "others" and share knowledge. They might teach us, everything we know now might be all wrong.

We're pathetic small creatures living short lifes fighting for small things...But after 1.000.000 years we might have grown a bit.

edit: o look my signature started to make sense in this thread
Quote from Gentlefoot :Ofcourse we may well all have been compressed into an infinately small space by then. I don't think anyone (or anything) will survive that somehow. lol

Do you mean black hole?

every galaxy has a black hole at the very center of them. And those blackholes eat their galaxies.A time will come that our blackhole will eat all the milkyway. but that's far far far than a million year.

And yes, noone would survive that unless moving to another universe.

i luv discovery chnl.
#22 - aoun
In 1,000,000 years time, everything will be to do with cars and racing. Life will be about racing. The presidents will be the best racers, wars will take place as championships.. and so on!

LOL someone ban me! .
Quote from Gentlefoot :Actually, I think a more pertinent question is "Is the rate of expansion/contraction changing?"

Well, all the models involved in the metric expansion of space theories consider a million years as a trifling period of time. However, if you do adhere to those theories then you have to choose between these models of visualization (and I shit you not, these are the real scientific names):
  • Ant on a balloon
  • Expanding rubber sheet
  • Raisin bread (my favourite as an amateur baker)
Quote from Gentlefoot :Hmm - never did get my head round the concept of singularity - or infinity for that matter

In most fields of science you get a singularity when a value in a model ends up going up to infinity. In essence what happens is that you've reached the limitations of your model and it "breaks down" - so basically it's not a "real world" phenomenon, just a virtual one (it only occurs in the world the model is depicting).

For examples, see LFS's collision detection. :P
Quote from ZORER :Do you mean black hole?

every galaxy has a black hole at the very center of them. And those blackholes eat their galaxies.A time will come that our blackhole will eat all the milkyway. but that's far far far than a million year.

And yes, noone would survive that unless moving to another universe.

i luv discovery chnl.

We don't know every galaxy has a black hole in the middle. We don't know for sure than any have. All we know is that something doesn't quite add up in the middle with our existing knowledge. But then you get onto Dark Matter, p-branes, string and superstring theory; and you realise that an answer like 'there is a black hole in the middle' cannot in all probability be correct.

Will the blackhole, if it exists, consume the Milky Way? Who knows? Is the orbit of the galaxy declining or increasing (i.e. will it fly apart or be consumed).

The Discovery Channel takes very complicated facts, breaks them down to simple sections, lies a bit, uses fancy made-up graphics, and then people believe it. Don't - it's a channel for stupid people. By all means watch it, and learn about new things, but never take what they say as 'The Truth'.
In a million years Tristan's post count should be around 4 billion.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG