The online racing simulator
Will LFS be updated again?
(33 posts, started )
So it's been going on 7 months with no updates or news on the main LFS site. I guess I have nothing to complain or ask for (well..) but is the LFS series still in active development to some sort of extent?
#2 - Turb0
it looks like lfs is going through a couple of changes like the scripting in the test patches
she's still alive and kicking, theres a lot of minor things that are being fixed at the moment though .
The main site doesn't seem to get updated unless there's something big in the works.

Best to check the quite active Patch Test Forum, where you can see & discuss all the small improvements as they happen :up:
Scawen and Eric are working hard, as ever. The fruits of their labours will be realised eventually.
Seems like you haven't checked out the test patch forum, as there was a lot going on in the last two months.

For a preview of what the next official patch V will look like, just examine the (huge) U30 change list. It's all compatible stuff, though, so no new physics or other fixes that would cause the hotlap charts to be erased.
#7 - Krane
Quote from Hankstar :Best to check the quite active Patch Test Forum, where you can see & discuss all the small improvements as they happen :up:

No you can't discuss them, only post if you find a problem in the testpatch (ed: which isn't solved by reading the 1st post and the thread). It's allready full of nonsense posters and posts

Use the general LFS discussion for chitchat.
I just hope that they won't delete all hotlapps again
I think you can bet good money they will, when the next physics improvement patch happens, all previous hotlaps will be invalidated.
^ Yes, but this will not be the case with patch V (just adding)
Quote from N I K I :I just hope that they won't delete all hotlapps again

Until we are told otherwise (and I can't see any reason why we would be) hotlaps will always be deleted upon the release of an incompatible patch.

If you know this, then you have no reason to complain. You either do your hotlapping knowing you'll one day have to do it again with different physics, or you don't do them at all.

I'm personally one of the latter - I don't see the point of learning all the cars/tracks to such a high standard on my own when I'll only have to go and do it all again. I'd much rather learn the cars/tracks to a high standard in a racing environment online. But other people (biggie for example) are different, and are quite happy to hotlap knowing they are not 'forever'.
That means holding another WR for about half a day when the next incompatible patch comes out
Gentlemen, start your engines.............
Quote from al heeley :Gentlemen, start your engines.............

Now what is that supposed to mean
Quick, start the rumour machinery
Quote from AndroidXP :Now what is that supposed to mean

Conspiracy theory #32: Translating this to Spanish and back with babelfish yields "The horsemen, ignite their motors." - so we're probably getting more horsepower and engine damage that can result in fires... or simply an equestrian simulation with acts of automotive arson, every hardcore environmentalist's dream game.
Would be interesting to know how important the LFS world stats are for the devs. I mean if there were no stats system at all, would LFS get more often smaller incompatible patches?
I don't think the stats are as important to the devs as they are to the players.

I think the reason they're not churning out endless incompatible patches is because it would annoy so many of the players. You get used to driving one way then have to totally re-learn all the cars.

I never played before the last incompatible patch, but I understand the FO8 was totally different before that.

Too many big changes and people get sick of having to re-learn the hundreds of car/track combos.
Well, ideally the differences/changes would get smaller and smaller after each patch, so while the last update was quite a huge jump because the tyre behaviour got changed quite fundamentally, the next ones shouldn't cause too much of a mess by drastically changing the car behaviour.

Then again, I can see how better differential, aero and body flex can have quite an impact to setups and with that also to driving. But from my point of view, these are really the last few major points that will change handling. I think the countless other improvements will rather influence the driving strategy than the handling itself.
Quote from al heeley :Gentlemen, start your engines.............

Quote from AndroidXP :Now what is that supposed to mean

I think it means we will have a big OVAL track and a fast single seater race car to race on them... a la Indy Racing League.

Oh wait, we got those already
#20 - Davo
Worst thing about new physics patch is downloading all new setups.
Imagine, what the people say, who actually MAKE the sets.
Quote from Davo :Worst thing about new physics patch is downloading all new setups.

Yeah, clicking "All setups" on inferno is super tough!!!!!!!!!!
#23 - SamH
Quote from garph :Yeah, clicking "All setups" on inferno is super tough!!!!!!!!!!

Not before I defrag my HD and empty my Recycle Bin! It's an amazing resource.
Quote from deggis :Would be interesting to know how important the LFS world stats are for the devs. I mean if there were no stats system at all, would LFS get more often smaller incompatible patches?

Quote from Dajmin :I don't think the stats are as important to the devs as they are to the players.

I suspect you're right on that.
Quote from Dajmin :I think the reason they're not churning out endless incompatible patches is because it would annoy so many of the players. You get used to driving one way then have to totally re-learn all the cars.

Yep, right again I think. The reason for the hesitance in delivering incompatible patches is driven by the community, I'm pretty sure.

I'm not bothered about hotlapping myself, but then.. when you drive as slowly as I do, uploading a hotlap is more like uploading a "series of unfortunate events". But I know that it's important to people like biggie and it's clearly a big part of LFS these days. If this is the reason we're not constantly hit with miniscule physics changes, I'm still happy. I'm totally happy to drive LFS (which already rocks) in between those more radical patches, enjoying the other improvements to things like the interface etc. I know that the physics changes will come when they're ready. Good enough for me
Quote from AndroidXP :Seems like you haven't checked out the test patch forum, as there was a lot going on in the last two months.

For a preview of what the next official patch V will look like, just examine the (huge) U30 change list. It's all compatible stuff, though, so no new physics or other fixes that would cause the hotlap charts to be erased.

Tis is VERY true. But many people including myself until recently just check the main page for updates. Latest patch is U.

"Great I have U already installed " most people say I think.

The link in the front page is for the latest major patch only (U patch at the moment) http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=7373 and not for the Test Patches too. (For now U30).

So it would be nice I think, to add a link in the main page for the test patch thread too, http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=9869 because the changes are really fantastic, many new features and improvements and people simply miss that

eg
Quote :
added sat, Apr. 29th, 2006 18:15
>LFS Alpha patch U

Hello LFS Racers!

We are very pleased with the reaction to the S and T patches. The improved physics and BMW Sauber car have proved to be very popular.

Community testing showed up a few issues to resolve. One week later, we now present version U, which has a lot of improvements and fixes, which you can read about here : Patch U forum thread
For latest updates on Patch U read here: TEST Patch U30 (compatible with U) <------ (extra link)

Click here to download the update or full version : Downloads page

Thanks to the LFS community for testing and comments. Have fun!

Quote from deggis :Would be interesting to know how important the LFS world stats are for the devs. I mean if there were no stats system at all, would LFS get more often smaller incompatible patches?

I'm pretty sure that the LFSworld has 0 effect on how many incompatible patches we get. It's all about online compatibility, LFS versions more precisely.

(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG