The online racing simulator
#1 - SatCP
Show cars you just touched/collided with in log/history
I've posted a similar feature request a long time ago, but back then I didn't explain it properly and people apparantly misunderstood what I was trying to say...

Would it be possible to add a message to the log/history when two cars touch/collide? I don't want a mechanism that makes kicking/banning easier, but I'd really like to know which car I touched or touched me. Especially in chaotic situations as the start or T1 where I often have no clue who's who because the positions change quickly and I really have no time to look at the driver names hoovering over the cars (if visible).

Sometimes you get bumped, but trying to recover your car you didn't get the chance to see who actually did it. Or otherwise, you hit someone accidently and want to excuse yourself to the other car. But who was it? If the contact was light and without severe impact for both drivers the "Sorry" key is sufficient enough. It doesn't matter to know who the other guy was. A simple sorry will do - although some people already get furious if just barely scratch their paintwork.

But sometimes you cause a crash where the other driver loses a lot of time or places, or you end up in a crash going off yourselves. In these situations I'd like to excuse myself personally to the other driver or ask for an explanation why the other car hit me. Especially this last case seems useful to me because in close pack racing there are often some over-enthousiastic drivers that force you to go off the track but never apologize.

So all I'd like to see is just the name of the driver you just hit appearing in the log/history. It should not reveal which car caused the accident, because the game cannot possibly know. It's just information for both drivers that should make aggressive driving with a lot of bumping or accidents less anonymous. It is NOT meant to determine who caused an accident. Both drivers should realize that for themselves, but at least you would know who to address.

It may be even useful though to have this information shown to all drivers. Especially during starts or T1s crashes are frequently caused by the same drivers. It's not really accurate, but if a certain driver's name keeps popping up right after the start as the first to collide with another car there may be a strong suspicion towards him. Now it's often the wrong driver that gets accused. It happened more than once that someone started a (succesful) vote kick against me because "I wiped him off the road" even though I was at the other end of the pack but my car's colors look more or less like the person who started it...

A nice touch would be to take the difference in speed and/or done damage into account. The log could then look like:

Crash: SatCP <> Player (full hit with a lot of damage and/or difference in speed)
Collision: SatCP <> Player (medium difference in speed and/or medium damage)
Scratch: SatCP <> Player (just scratching the paintwork)
Excessive and worthless information. What if it was car A who misbraked, hit B and B hit you? You would log that it was B's fault.

Besides, you have replays, which before judgement day will be rewindable, hopefully

Sounds like a tool to help propogate arguments. I like onto LFS to relax, noto to listen to drivers bicker. I go as far as banning drivers for it.

#4 - Renku
I'm sure then will be added another line to LFS Lapper: ban both cars that touched or just that car who touched an admin.
#5 - dev
#6 - SatCP
Quote from BurnOut69 :Excessive and worthless information. What if it was car A who misbraked, hit B and B hit you? You would log that it was B's fault.

Then the log would show "A <> B" first and then "B <> Me". Once again, it's not really meant to find out who started everything because the real causer may not even have hit another car. But at least I would know who hit me or who I have hit. People who have raced with me know I'm a very polite driver and I'll always excuse myself for mistakes I make. I never even started a vote to kick/ban someone even though I was on frequent occasions victim of a wrecker. But sometimes I just don't know who I've hit, but I'd like to say something to the other driver (like sorry, or you could have left the door a bit wider, didn't you see me,...). I mean, there are tons of reasons why you'd want to know which cars hit each other, but I agree with everyone that it might be abused.
Quote :Besides, you have replays, which before judgement day will be rewindable, hopefully

Yes, but that's not until after the race or you have to exit the race. By the timle you're back on the server the other guy is gone or has forgotten about the incident.
Quote from Becky Rose :Sounds like a tool to help propogate arguments. I like onto LFS to relax, noto to listen to drivers bicker. I go as far as banning drivers for it.

Is asking what went wrong or excusing yourself for causing an accident "bicker"? But it seems I didn't take the whiners into account with my feature request. It will probably be abused to "find" the one who caused the accident - which it gives no information about. That may lead to the usual boring and annoying discussions
Quote from Renku :I'm sure then will be added another line to LFS Lapper: ban both cars that touched or just that car who touched an admin.

That would of course be quite bad. I never looked into such tools so I don't know what they are capable off, but the last thing I want to accomplish with my feature request is getting more people banned.

Well, it sounded like a good idea to me, but if the majority believes it will be abused, it probably will be, so the devs better not implement it.

When racing on the limit, people will come together, fighting for position, fighting for the racing line, people when collide. That is what makes racing, racing.

Just my change from something costing £0.98 and paying with a £1 coin.
It should be optional and only viewable on private servers.

Good for league commentators, but would cause supermassive problems on public servers.

Conditional +1 from me.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from Becky Rose :Sounds like a tool to help propogate arguments. I like onto LFS to relax, noto to listen to drivers bicker. I go as far as banning drivers for it.

figured it would be a good tool for league admins if it actually wrote those contacts with a timestamp to a log rather than on screen

on screen it will only cause arguments
I don't find that very useful at all, but on the other hand, if it doesn't take too much of Scawen's recources, I don't think it would make things worse either. The judgments of who was in fault would still have to be made from replays, like it is now.

A simple "Collision: username" could work.
I find watching replays from "helicopter" cam gives a pretty good indication of who punked me. It's just a hassle to have to disco, watch the replay, reconnect and start some shit that goes something like "dude, I just watched the replay and you didn't even brake", "you broked early, STFU n00b" etc, etc, etc.

Now, if you were able to view replays while in spectator mode, that would be nice :up: You'd be able to see if someone lagged into you, you lagged into them, if one of you was just an idiot or some other idiot caused a chain reaction that messed you both up. You'd both be able to do it without disconnecting and there'd be less debate. Claims of "omfg lag" could be sorted out pretty quickly.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG