The online racing simulator
New cars & used cars
(33 posts, started )
New cars & used cars
I'll type this before I forget

You should run cars with few miles on the clock carefully and slowly pick up the pace when you get up to like 500 miles or 1000 miles.
Just like I drove a brand new Nissan Micra with a few miles on the clock and nearly burnt out the clutch

Hope you understood that
That would add nothing to the Simulation, and would be kinda frustrating for new drivers imo.

Quote from Highsider9 :That would add nothing to the Simulation, and would be kinda frustrating for new drivers imo.

+10 for me.
It is a simulation. And new drivers will just have to learn like in real life.
Yes its a simulation, but a racing simulation, not i got a brand new engine and i need to run it in simulator.

So a -1 from me.
Quote from Stew2000 :I'll type this before I forget

You should run cars with few miles on the clock carefully and slowly pick up the pace when you get up to like 500 miles or 1000 miles.
Just like I drove a brand new Nissan Micra with a few miles on the clock and nearly burnt out the clutch

Hope you understood that

Clutches have got nothing to do with the miles on the clock of the car. You just slip the clutch too much. Probably toom any driving lessons with your granny.

Just shows what you know about engines in my opinion.
I agree with you

What I want from a game is GT but more real, LFS could fill this gap, please many people and may mega money in the process. GT is a racing simulator and if you don't want to buy cars play in 'arcade' mode and not career. +1 from me.
Shouldn't you follow the old adage: "an engine run in fast makes a fast engine" anyway? So in fact, it wouldn't really make any difference?
It might be quite nice if the XFG in your garage was your XFG which you can take care of as you wish. So you have a sense of ownership and probably for most they'd have a soft spot for good old FXO chassis number XXXXXX or something. No to credits for maintenance costs though, and no to "running in" periods. Probably no to the whole thing, it's a nice idea, but not really a worthy time consumer for Mr Roberts.
Quote from sinbad :It might be quite nice if the XFG in your garage was your XFG which you can take care of as you wish. So you have a sense of ownership and probably for most they'd have a soft spot for good old FXO chassis number XXXXXX or something. No to credits for maintenance costs though, and no to "running in" periods. Probably no to the whole thing, it's a nice idea, but not really a worthy time consumer for Mr Roberts.

like turning it into a Private race car and not a Professional one.

And to add to my comment of the Micra...
It was during my "lessons", but I was an excellent driver at the time anyway.
And I learn't in 5 new micras all of them had different handling, like one had smoother steering and another had a smoother gearbox.
And with the really new one, you could smell the clutch burning.

My driving isn't much the same now, and I drive a 97 Charade.
(Full Lisence ftw!)

What effect would it have? A negligeble one.

Engine wear should take place in endo's but not be carried over race to race.
Quote from duke_toaster :-1

What effect would it have?

Engine wear should take place in endo's but not be carried over race to race.

You are 14. I could flame you for not being able to try it in real life (but I won't)

I still stick by my original thought
#12 - dev
-(10^9999999999999999), makes no sence...
See, real race teams take a car from race to race, but they usually fix/replace anything wrong with it. I remember hearing a commentator in one series mention how a car got smashed up during a qualification incident, and it was fixed by the race day. Granted, the mechanics probably performed a miracle.

If an engine breaks, the mechanics fix it. If the tyres wear out, they get replaced. Its the same car, in spirit, but from the start to the end of a series, its possible most every part has been replaced at some point or another, depending on how rough the series is (I mean how likley the drivers are to hit each other).

Plus:
If an engine needs a break in period, and you were a race team, wouldn't you slap the sucker on some sort of gizmo that automatically runs it through various RPMs for a certain number of simulated miles, so when you drop it in the car, its not a 'new' engine?

It all just seems really off to me.
Well, with racing engines you generally 'just' build them with low friction in mind, and don't care so much with 'life' or oil consumption. On a road car you want an engine to last, be reliable forever, consume next to no oil, remain quiet... the list goes on and on.

So you run in your tight road car engine to make sure it has a long and healthy life. But your race engine is built to work from scratch. It might get a bit more powerful as bearings loosen up, but at the same time you'll get a bit more blow-by or something to cancel the effect.

Someone will mention how two-race F1 engines have different power levels over time, but they'll fail to realise just how extreme they are, and how carefully controlled the revs and parameters are, so please save your embarrasment by not bringing it up...
#15 - Woz
Quote from Stew2000 :And to add to my comment of the Micra...
It was during my "lessons", but I was an excellent driver at the time anyway.
And I learn't in 5 new micras all of them had different handling, like one had smoother steering and another had a smoother gearbox.
And with the really new one, you could smell the clutch burning.

My driving isn't much the same now, and I drive a 97 Charade.
(Full Lisence ftw!)

Sorry to say but the fact you burnt out the clutch had nothing to do with running in the engine, just poor clutch control and riding the clutch for too long. I hate to say it but you probably were not already an excelent driver at the time, a fact backed up with a burnt out clutch.

Most modern engines do not really NEED a run in period anymore although manufacturers still state a 500+ mile period.

If you want run in period it will mean you have to do 500-1000 miles in each car at below 4000rpm..... ARE YOU SERIOUS?

I have clocked up about 12000+ miles at the moment in LFS so I would still not have run in all the cars, that is just stupid the amount I have played LFS.

BTW, I doubt race engines are run in and if they are they will have been run in on a static rig. I can just see an F1 driver have to run 1000 miles below Xrpm while running in the engine, that would really help them get pole position or win a race.

Is it April 1st?
Quote from Woz :Sorry to say but the fact you burnt out the clutch had nothing to do with running in the engine, just poor clutch control and riding the clutch for too long. I hate to say it but you probably were not already an excelent driver at the time, a fact backed up with a burnt out clutch.

I didn't burn it out totally. And my clutch control was and is excellent.
But you probably do have a valid point, as I was doing a reverse round corner (slowly) :P
Quote from tristancliffe :Someone will mention how two-race F1 engines have different power levels over time, but they'll fail to realise just how extreme they are, and how carefully controlled the revs and parameters are, so please save your embarrasment by not bringing it up...

Whilst they are extreme, we have an F1 car in LFS .
Not a good idea imho, for some of the reasons mentioned above.

People play computer games partly so they can avoid doing normal, boring real-life crap - like running in a new engine or paying millions for an F1 car - and get straight to the good stuff. Well, I do anyway Just because something exists in RL it doesn't mean it belongs in a race sim. Fluffy dice, though ... bring 'em on.
Quote from dev :-(10^9999999999999999), makes no sence...

agree.....
No point at all.

If the teams are going to run an engine in they'll do it before they even hit the track.

When ever I had an engine rebuild I'd just keep the revs below a certain point at a test day and gradually build up. Never would you run a engine in at a race meeting. Makes no sense.
Quote from duke_toaster :Whilst they are extreme, we have an F1 car in LFS .

But we don't have the rest of F1. We don't have (or need) any of the real life complexities of F1, because if we did we'd never get near the track (unless groups of 300 of us or so all teamed up to get one car working).
Quote from Stew2000 :I didn't burn it out totally. And my clutch control was and is excellent.

You don't like to listen, do you? If you had excellent clutch control, you would not have burned out the clutch.
#23 - aoun
+1 if there is a life/career mode.
-1 if its just how it is now.
Quote from MAGGOT :You don't like to listen, do you? If you had excellent clutch control, you would not have burned out the clutch.

Heh well, I guess if you held a car perfectly stationary on an incline for a few minutes, with just the clutch, then you would demonstrate good control........but still burn out the clutch Clutch control and mechanical sympathy are two slightly different things, and driving schools rarely teach the latter.
Quote from sinbad :Heh well, I guess if you held a car perfectly stationary on an incline for a few minutes, with just the clutch, then you would demonstrate good control........but still burn out the clutch Clutch control and mechanical sympathy are two slightly different things, and driving schools rarely teach the latter.

Man I love holding the car on a hill with just the clutch.
Just like how I love faking that i'm gonna do a wheelspin .

New cars & used cars
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG