The online racing simulator
New cars & used cars
(33 posts, started )
I'm somewhat confused as to where this thread is going? Appears to be you saying your an absolute spunktrumpet when it comes to driving, although from what you're saying you've actually got very little idea of what causes a burnt out clutch? Also, a clutch will usually be 'run in' or bedded in within a few miles.

As for manufacturers, i've been selling new Toyotas and then Volvos for the last 2 years, and i haven't mentioned running in for either of them, its not needed any more due to improved manufacturing processes.

Also, i like the a fast run in makes a fast engine. I had my old car apart and dit piston rings, head work etc, put it all back together and drove the b****cks off it, and never had a problem, loosened it up much faster.
I live in America, which seems to be overly paranoid about things breaking on you. So we, being a sue happy country, get told to do things to prolong engine life, mostly so manufactors can say "You didn't do what we told you!"

Example: Oil change every 3000 miles. I belive I got told, on this very forum, by quite a few knowledgeable people, that oil lasts a good deal longer than 3000 miles.

My car and my bike's user's manual (the only two vehicles I have read the user's manual for) both have an engine break in period. Run it at varying RPMs below 3,000 for the first 100 miles, and below 4,000 for the first 500. Don't keep it at a constant RPM (cruising down a highway). My dad, driving my bike to the house from the dealership (chirstmas present) gunned the throttle pretty much the whole way home.
And the bike is fine.

Although I've never heard "an engine run in fast makes a fast engine", I wouldn't doubt if it was true. Hows that work, if anyone cares to explain?
Well dear boy, you see running in an engine is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You've got to warm them up, ride them hard, and leave them smoking and ready for more.
<Probably british humour, never mind>

Anyway, basically the idea of running in is to clear any crap out of the engine, and get all the parts used to running alongside each other. But really, you can either do that for a long time at low revs, or up the revs and drop the time!
@Shinrar: I think the idea is that running high cylinder pressures (i.e. under full throttle) will push the piston rings into the cylinder walls better so they make a better seal. I think there's still a limit to how high the RPMs should be when you do this, though.

http://motorcyclebreakin.com/
Quote from matt_green84 :Well dear boy, you see running in an engine is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. You've got to warm them up, ride them hard, and leave them smoking and ready for more.
<Probably british humour, never mind>

Haha, ahh I miss that show! It was BRILLIAAAAAAANNNNNTTTTtttt!
Quote from Shinrar :I live in America, which seems to be overly paranoid about things breaking on you. So we, being a sue happy country, get told to do things to prolong engine life, mostly so manufactors can say "You didn't do what we told you!"

As opposed to just making a quality car in the first place.
"Attempting to navigate around a bend at any speed over 20mph will cause this vehicle to tip onto its roof, activate the central locking and catch fire, incinerating any occupants, pets & cargo. Chevrolet will not be held liable for any injury, death or damage that will occur as a result. Injuries, causes of death and specific damage to vehicle or property may vary."

Found in the manual for the Chevy "Suburban" (most inappropriate name ever)
Quote from Hankstar :"Attempting to navigate around a bend at any speed over 20mph will cause this vehicle to tip onto its roof, activate the central locking and catch fire, incinerating any occupants, pets & cargo. Chevrolet will not be held liable for any injury, death or damage that will occur as a result. Injuries, causes of death and specific damage to vehicle or property may vary."

Found in the manual for the Chevy "Suburban" (most inappropriate name ever)

LOL
My G/F's mom has a Chevy Suburban. I think I'm going to ask to look in her manual , and then show it to her . But yeah, I've driven it before. Trust me, the car doesn't WANT to take a turn over 20 MPH. It understeers like mad. I remember driving it through the curve of an onramp and thinking "Did they use butter for tyre tread?" because it, litterally, felt like the front wheels were just sliding along the road.

New cars & used cars
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG