The online racing simulator
Creating real gauges
(5 posts, started )
#1 - sk83k
Creating real gauges
Hi

Im looking to build a real speedo and tacho,for use with LFS. I plan to use outgauge/outsim to get the speed and rpm value.

Then I want to use a programming language, something like C++ or python, to manipulate the data and export it to a serial servo controller, which will control the servos in the gauges.

Just how feasible is this, and how fast will the gauge be, will the servo keep up?

The hardest bits are getting the useful data out of the UDP packets, and then sending the servo position to the servo controller. Any ideas? Or are there any applications I can look at as examples?

cheers, dom
Quote from sk83k :Just how feasible is this, and how fast will the gauge be, will the servo keep up?

Very feasible, and it has been done by a few enterprising members of the forums I believe. With regards to the servos keeping up, it all depends on the quality of the hardware.

Quote from sk83k :The hardest bits are getting the useful data out of the UDP packets, and then sending the servo position to the servo controller. Any ideas? Or are there any applications I can look at as examples?

Getting the useful information is simple, and communicating with a USB / serial connection shouldn only be slightly tricky. If you're starting from scratch, you might want to look at Phidgets, which would eliminate any "significant" hardware construction.
#3 - sk83k
Thanks man

Looked at the phidgets modules, look pretty good and simple although you pay for the privelege

Ideally I'll buy/make a serial servo controller, but might end up using a phidgets module

cheers, dom
#4 - nilo
Quote from sk83k :
The hardest bits are getting the useful data out of the UDP packets, and then sending the servo position to the servo controller. Any ideas? Or are there any applications I can look at as examples?

I recently played around a bit with outgauge->python->bluetooth->mobile phone, I think the python part is pretty much what you can use to start with.

(See attachment... check out Example.py)
Attached files
LFSLib.zip - 2.1 KB - 362 views
Not a huge fan of python, but that's sweet. Also, Phidgets rock.

Creating real gauges
(5 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG