The online racing simulator
Quote from Blaeza :Picture this, you are in first place in yer XRT on Blackwood. Your tyres are all but molten rubber. You approach the right-left sweeper a bit too fast and start skimming towards thr armco. Now, a drifter at this point would just oppisite lock, bit of power-oversteer and WAHEY, 1st place. Normal racer would probably brake hard and have to build up momentum and speed again. You see my point?

I just feel like pointing out that in that case, your "normal" racer just means someone about to crash. Braking hard in that situation would either A: Give you a big dose of understeer, so you smash into the ARMCO anyway, or B: A big dose of lift-off oversteer, so you spin out and smash into the ARMCO backwards.

Any reasonably competent driver in that situation, drifter or not, would attempt to induce a bit of controlled oversteer, either power-on or lift-off depending on what the car setup was like. But then, any reasonably competent driver wouldn't be running molten tires.
Yup, if i went in to quick i'd just lift off and give it a flick and a bit of opposite lock!
Quote from Slartibartfast :Or how about this, at South City Long get in your FOX and literally aim your car AT THE ARMCO on every corner. The trick of course is to go so quickly that you break loose just after turn in and slide past the armco by an inch. Then drift (all 4 wheels) out to within an inch of the exit armco.

Now *that* is drifting.

no ... that my friend is what you call hotlapping
Most decent racers know how to drift a car. Most of us learn about opposite lock and power oversteer the hard way, like when we enter a bend too quick, put a car into a barrier or another car or spin it into a sand trap. Do that often enough and your prehistoric survival instinct kicks in: "drift or die!"

Alternately, if you grew up in the country and learned to drive on dirt tracks (after years of "longest sideways skid" contests on your BMXs, followed by "who can sweep the gravel back into place before dad gets home" contests), kicking the back out is the first thing you learn after dropping the clutch

Stig from Top Gear tends to kick the back out of the odd car here and there, usually if it's a powerful RWD beast and he wants some extra revs coming out of the Hammerhead (I'm thinking of the Monaro episode - often with a car that big the quickest way around a sharp bend is sideways). He does it ever so slightly though, because he's going for a fast laptime. But don't watch Clarkson do it (overgrown boy racer ) - he hangs his arse out more often than Jordan does
wrong question that ppl like it..
Quote from Woz : so why not the $60 for an hour on the local track so they don't put others at risk?

because there is no audience for showing off...
because it is pointless.

Racing incorporates numerous methods and it takes skill to perform each one and experience and knowledge to know when to apply each one. oversteer, understeer, drifting, handbrake turn, trail braking, etcetc.

"drifting" has been transformed from a technique used in racing, into a "sport" on its own.

sure it is fun, i can not deny it, and it indeed needs some skill, but it is like "racing using only 2nd gear" or "racing with the handbrake always applied".
Imagine if you will, 2 or 3 devs from EA Sports quit their jobs and get together and make an "on-line ice skating simulator". The software simulates, as near as possible, the physics of ice skating.

Imagine the flame wars between the hockey players and the figure skaters.

That's what we have here.

When it comes right down to it, we're all playing the same video game.

Have your fun, I'll have mine.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
We get snow and ice here, rwd is very nice then and that has been so before anyone has even heard about drift or ricer stuff, so of course I like to keep tail out at times, but I do grip driving too.

I have heard there is whole race series where they compete in drifting, I can't tell difference between racing and motorsports, last one is just larger term, I guess.

Most important thing is to keep car under control and if you loose it spin so that you don't hit others, also don't drift in grip race, that is like going in army in yellow uniform when others have grays.

There is different ways to learn to drive fast, drifting may help to understand why patience is needed and why entry speed is important and while you can make turn with faster entry speed there is often better to use slower entry speed to get better time in overall.
In games it is good way to test how things work so one can adjust to game better too, as there is currently no single game that represents real world behaviour (also our little screens and office chairs are not helping), even best is still quite far but of course in future things may change.
COS IT'S GAY!
T
Then.. and so does racing..boooring, loong, too much under control , OLD, anybody can race, just a few can drift...people dont like it because its not for everybody,and they just cant compreend it.

Good Drifters can race just as fast as most, good Racers cant drift anything at most.
Fact, period,goodbye. :cool:

And remember,do not press the button on my signature you *press it*
@CSU: nice one. That's really gonna help. *claps*

@Slida: most racers don't drift. Doesn't mean they can't, it means they make a choice not to! Racing's been around for quite some time (first GP was in 1906) so it shouldn't be a surprise that it's still most people's first choice of motorsport. Drift, i.e. the ability to control a slide, is an important weapon in any drivers' arsenal. I'm not talking about arse-out show drifting, I'm talking about gently losing traction and four-wheel-drifting to get better speed through a turn. Before slick tyres and massive downforce (basically the whole period between 1906 to the mid-70s), when tyres were rock hard and cars actually were producing lift at high speed, four-wheel-drifting was the method for cornering quickly. It wasn't to show off, it was vital in order to be fast, and still is vital to save mistakes. It was also difficult to avoid, especially in early racing in the 30s where you had a 600hp car with drum brakes, 4-inch wide tyres and a straight-8 cast iron engine sitting in the front. Try keeping that thing straight! But disregarding the old-timers, if a racer in any car doesn't know drift fundamentals he won't know how to stop his car spinning out or smacking a wall because he's come into a turn too fast, or how to squeeze a bit of extra speed through of a turn by making his car lose traction just a bit.

Drift isn't something drifters invented - it's as old as racing itself. It's just that they took one aspect of driving and made it an entire sport. It's a niche event like ski-jumping is to downhill or slalom, or, as is often mentioned, figure skating is to ice hockey or speed skating. If, tomorrow, somebody decides to make an entire sport out of skidding to a halt, I wonder how the "drift or die" crowd would react if the "skidders" started calling them old & boring and started saying shit like "Good skidders can drift as good as anyone, drifters can't skid for crap"?

Drift, as a sport all its own, is the new kid on the block in the world of motosport. Grading drivers on style over speed is a new thing and some people are gonna have to get used to it, because it's a growing sport and I don't see it disappearing. I like it - but I don't do it because I'm "ol skool" and I prefer going fast. Doesn't mean I don't throw the handbrake on and kick the back out sometimes. You wouldn't be human if didn't enjoy sliding your car around

Just realise some people prefer speed & grip, some don't. Fact, period, whatever. To each his own. Some people don't like racing it because it's not for everybody. Maybe they can't comprehend it?

FFS I don't see why this topic always has to end up with the fundamentalists from either side saying "my way is best so screw you, infidel". Let's get over ourselves and remember we're playing with the same toys.
Quote from Slidaaaa :[COLOR="Red"]And remember,do not press the button on my signature you *press it*

I am not an idiot!

And I defenately didn't press the button!!1

---
And people admit it, getting sideways is fun sometimes
I think drifting is pretty cool, from a spectator's point of view. I can do it, but I'd need a lot of practice to do it well. But I never feel the urge to do it, it just doesn't do anything for me. Rallying is a different story however. The techniques required for rallying are required to get to the finish in the fastest way possible, not just to go sideways for the hell of it.

I don't get the OP's question. Why do we *have* to want to drift? It's not exactly an important aspect of motorracing, it's a niche. It's like the OP is comparing drifting with sex - now who DOESN'T like sex?
-
(HittiS) DELETED by HittiS
Quote from Gunn :This is still not racing even though points can be gained or rounds won by overtaking. There is no race drifting: period.

Well thats not exactly true Gunn now is it. Drifting has its roots in both rally and mountian racing and in both those cases it most certinly is racing. Even super bike racers are starting to learn that drifting is some times the fastest line through a corner. Its just most race tracks and those in LFS are not designed in such a way as to require drifting to get the fastest times, aside from the rallycross layouts.
I think it's important to be clear about what we all mean here.

To clarify: drifting as an event in itself isn't racing as it's judged on points and is not a contest of speed (which is the definition of "race" that most dictionaries give). Drift as a driving technique is often seen in racing, especially in rally because low-grip surfaces like mud and gravel rule out straighter driving techniques (although not always - tarmac rally stages are often driven using traditional "grippy" techniques).

Drift has its roots much further back in the history of motor racing than some might think. Champion GP driver Tazio Nuvolari was an early exponent of four-wheel drift in the 1930s and used it to great effect :up: But it sure wasn't the arse-out technique of today's show drivers. The difference is to do with slip angles (which might sound obvious but here goes): in show drift the rears operate at a much higher slip than the fronts, hence the obvious sideways action. Often the fronts don't really slip much at all because they need to grip, so as to control the direction of travel. In four-wheel drift, as the name suggests, all four wheels are operating at similar slip angles, the idea being to affect a loss of traction without sacrificing corner speed. As such it's not always noticeable to a casual observer that the car is in fact drifting through the turn. Read this for a nice little description of Tazio's drifting by Enzo Ferrari. Anyone who's played GPL, or thrashed an LX about recklessly will know how important the four-wheel drift technique is in a powerful car without much grip from the tyres and without any downforce.
Quote from DjeMz :What are you blabbing on about becky, drifting isnt only an 'art', its a style of RACING that is growing so fast thats taken the world by storm.

Its games like NFS that may display drifting in that mannor but i regually have track days with my friends in our silvias/200sx r32 ect ect.

In Australia driftin is growing so huge the local police have frantikly launched numours counter mesures to prevent/punish 'street drifters'. And its not just Australia, its more the whole Asia-Pasific region and even around USA and Canada.

There much more to this point im sure other members on here would love to add, but I guess the UK isnt ready for drifting just yet.

Yeah, Im in adelaide and the scene here is out of control.
Quote from Hankstar :Anyone who's played GPL, or thrashed an LX about recklessly will know how important the four-wheel drift technique is in a powerful car without much grip from the tyres and without any downforce.

Imagine a four-wheel drift
Quote from HittiS :I would say drifting is [...] something you just do for "fun".

and the reason you race in a nonprofessional way is ?
Scrw you people

dont like like Drift? Then Dont do it, go away, this thread wont lead to anywhere...

and i dont give a damm, i wont stop racing and drifting,just because sides dont like each other, like if i was gona loose the fun both offers just because most of 'pure racers' dont give a sht to Drift and dont respect it, its also fun,i also enjoy, i will also do it,if even Senna enjoyed sometimes, so i will.

Its like be a Bmx pro rider and just practice only one modality,theres not just racing in this world, theres also freestyle...

be happy its lastime i come to this thread
Quote from Slidaaaa :Scrw you people

dont like like Drift? Then Dont do it, go away, this thread wont lead to anywhere...

and i dont give a damm, i wont stop racing and drifting, like if i was gona loose the fun both offers just because most of 'pure racers' dont give a sht to Drift and dont respect it, its also fun,i also enjoy, i will also do it,if even Senna enjoyed sometimes, so i will.

be happy its lastime i come to this thread

Well the thread is called "Why people don't like drifting in LFS"!!!
Looks like you've got the wrong end of the stick here m8 LMAO!!!111!
Quote from CSU1 :Well the thread is called "Why people don't like drifting in LFS"!!!
Looks like you've got the wrong end of the stick here m8 LMAO!!!111!

o rly? congrats cuz u are above the average nerd, isnt it M8 lmaozor pwnz lolzorz... what a L337 3nd... 1!11!11!onetrillionerdayumm1!1!!
Quote from Slidaaaa :o rly? congrats cuz u are above the average nerd, isnt it M8 lmaozor pwnz lolzorz... what a L337 3nd... 1!11!11!onetrillionerdayumm1!1!!

I didn't understand a word of that post? elabourate please?
-
(HittiS) DELETED by HittiS
Has anyone else noticed that it's drifters who make these kinds of threads in different forms (give me bodykits, give me 45 steering angle, give me rims, give me NOS, why you dislike drifters), and then they start throwing tantrums when they are not supported 100%. Rational reasoning is the first one thrown out of the window and flaming ensues until mods finally give the Seal of Approval.

EDIT: 'Drifters' as in 'desktop drifters & non-professional and illegal street drifters' and 'Seal of Approval' = thread locked.
i still think drifting is incomparable to racing. Drifting uses only a subset of the techniques needed to race.
This thread is closed

Why people dont like drifting in LFS ??
(318 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG