The online racing simulator
Why people dont like drifting in LFS ??
Hi...

I see lots of replys for drift movies, many people dont like drifting, but why ? If someone drift well and make a drift funny (without crashing etc.) So why ? Can U tell me ur opinion thx
Many members of the community are racers, they are not here for syncronised swimming, ballet, or gymnastics, but to race cars. No part of drifting is about racing, it's about car control within a very limited field, and does not use many of the same skills a racing driver uses - which is what the majority of the community is interested in.

That's not to say drifting is in some way wrong, but it's like publishing a rugby movie - nobody cares.
I like to watch but not to drift, becouse Im not so good at that
#2 what Becky said, and drifters got a pretty bad name from all those wannabe dorifto kings with their general "2 Fast 2 Furious" attitude. It's really not the drifting itself, but the typical mindset of the not-so-good drifters.
#5 - DjeMz
What are you blabbing on about becky, drifting isnt only an 'art', its a style of RACING that is growing so fast thats taken the world by storm.

Its games like NFS that may display drifting in that mannor but i regually have track days with my friends in our silvias/200sx r32 ect ect.

In Australia driftin is growing so huge the local police have frantikly launched numours counter mesures to prevent/punish 'street drifters'. And its not just Australia, its more the whole Asia-Pasific region and even around USA and Canada.

There much more to this point im sure other members on here would love to add, but I guess the UK isnt ready for drifting just yet.
Quote :drifting isnt only an 'art', its a style of RACING

I'm not interested in your art, that Pollock guys art is rubbish too (literally, often), and if that's racing then i'm French.

I am not French.
Quote from DjeMz :What are you blabbing on about becky, drifting isnt only an 'art', its a style of RACING...

I know you're new, so you'll have to learn alot still, but you're wrong. Drifting is not racing. Any type of race involves trying to be the fastest. Drifting is not about being the fastest, but about making the nicest drifts, so by definition drifting cannot be a form of racing.
It would be fun to drift in real, not in a game, yeah I would like to try drift in real, Am I insanneillepall
Quote from DjeMz :What are you blabbing on about becky, drifting isnt only an 'art', its a style of RACING that is growing so fast thats taken the world by storm.

That's what you think.

Quote from DjeMz : Its games like NFS that may display drifting in that mannor but i regually have track days with my friends in our silvias/200sx r32 ect ect.

Irrelevant with LFS, sounds more like ego boosting to me.

Quote from DjeMz : In Australia driftin is growing so huge the local police have frantikly launched numours counter mesures to prevent/punish 'street drifters'.

And I'd personally purchase a gun and administer five gunshots to the back of the head of every dumb spunk who thinks irresponsible driving on public road is cool or supports such behaviour.

Quote from DjeMz : There much more to this point im sure other members on here would love to add, but I guess the UK isnt ready for drifting just yet.

No, actually the racing communities just don't buy the drifting agenda as it seems a silly fad and you already have your niche games and movies.
#10 - Gunn
Quote from AndroidXP :#2 what Becky said, and drifters got a pretty bad name from all those wannabe dorifto kings with their general "2 Fast 2 Furious" attitude. It's really not the drifting itself, but the typical mindset of the not-so-good drifters.

And it is these sterotypes which fuel the harmful jibes and hatred from some members, unfortunately. That and the fact that some people wouldn't know what drifting was even if it walked up to them and bit them on the face, so there is always going to be a group who doesn't understand what others like and dislike

I think it is possible to favour something or not, without getting bent out of shape when others don't see it the same way. But human nature prevails.

Minorities often get the rough end of the pineapple, don't they? Drifters may be a minority group in LFS but plenty of them are racers (approximately 83%) and I'd bet my left nut that they outnumber the oval and drag racing community put together. They've helped pay for S1 and S2 and they'll still be around come S3. I hope that more people can accept this minority group (and other minority groups) in the future, whichever way ones opinion lies in relation to how they enjoy LFS.

As Bill and Ted would say: "Be excellent to each other".
You can do all kinds of things with your car. Drifting is just one of many things. In real life I just drive the car, getting from A to B. Sometimes there are roads with no one else so I can drive little more "sporty". In LFS I just race. But I don't have anything against drifting. It is sometimes just too funny to see these true-racers bash on drifters and in the next post they just go into hug-mode when they notice that what they just said makes no sense
Quote from AndroidXP :Any type of race involves trying to be the fastest. Drifting is not about being the fastest, but about making the nicest drifts, so by definition drifting cannot be a form of racing.

Not always...

There are two types of drift.

1) Show drift - pretty self explanatory really

2) Race drift - two cars start of on a series of corners (usally just 3, very rarely the whole track) with two rounds, one car starting behind the other and visa versa. Now, points? What points. There is no calculation on style/angle/smoke ect ect its simply WHO overtakes the other while engaged in a drift. If someone just drives 'normally' and overtakes the opponent without drifting, the opponent wins.

#2 is the type of drifting you kiddies dont see often at all. Ill agree with you that in LFS drifting is mostly excersised in the #1 manner but in REAL LIFE thats not the case all too often.
#13 - Gunn
Quote from DjeMz :

2) Race drift - two cars start of on a series of corners (usally just 3, very rarely the whole track) with two rounds, one car starting behind the other and visa versa. Now, points? What points. There is no calculation on style/angle/smoke ect ect its simply WHO overtakes the other while engaged in a drift. If someone just drives 'normally' and overtakes the opponenent without drifting, the opponenent wins.

This is still not racing even though points can be gained or rounds won by overtaking. There is no race drifting: period.
How is it not a race? Its on a race track, speed is involved, skills must be 2nd to none and ppl do take it seriously as a new form of MOTORSPORT.

I dont know about you, but id say anyform of motorsport + competition = racing. It may not be 100% racing, and im not saying it is, but it definatly IS a FORM of racing.
Form of motorsport I can agree with. Form of racing, not. But is it really necessary to dig out all that old arguments again that we've had a million times already?
Why did someone have to ask this?

Racing is going round a corner on the limit as fast as you can.
Drifting is going sideways round a corner as fast as you can.

There are more factors to it than that i know, but thats generalised to it must be the sideways part that racers dont like
Ive been into racing as long as i can remember and i love it but i do have a passion for drifting also. To me racing is about speed and enjoyment where drifting is purely just for fun. I sit in the middle as i seem to one of the few people who like both and i really dont see why people have such dislike or the other.

Just my $0.02
I'm probably one of the few people that both race AND drift (badly, but anyway). I agree with Becky in some respects, but the required skills in drifting make you a BETTER racer. Picture this, you are in first place in yer XRT on Blackwood. Your tyres are all but molten rubber. You approach the right-left sweeper a bit too fast and start skimming towards thr armco. Now, a drifter at this point would just oppisite lock, bit of power-oversteer and WAHEY, 1st place. Normal racer would probably brake hard and have to build up momentum and speed again. You see my point?
Dont worry, once my payment for s2 has cleared, u can call drift what ever u like!
#19 - Gunn
Quote from DjeMz :How is it not a race? Its on a race track, speed is involved, skills must be 2nd to none and ppl do take it seriously as a new form of MOTORSPORT.

I dont know about you, but id say anyform of motorsport + competition = racing. It may not be 100% racing, and im not saying it is, but it definatly IS a FORM of racing.

I became interested before D1 was born and have followed developments very closely since then. The fledgling Australian drift community is certainly not regarded as any authority on the subject. I've seen their 3 corner duels and I find they are most embarassing for the main part. But be that as it may "tandem" or "twin" drifting is usually scored on several levels including how close the two cars can drift together cleanly. This is not racing.
The format you talk of was inspired buy touge (mountain) racing short course events where one car would lead and another follow, but they weren't drifting mind you. If one car gains a significant lead he wins, and an overtake is an instant win. The drifting version of this touge event has some common elements, one of which isn't: who gets to the finish line first nor who completes the course in the fastest time. The overtake is a win due to skill, not speed.
Quote :You approach the right-left sweeper a bit too fast and start skimming towards thr armco. Now, a drifter at this point would just oppisite lock, bit of power-oversteer and WAHEY, 1st place. Normal racer would probably brake hard and have to build up momentum and speed again. You see my point?

I can counter steer. I can hang the back out of my car all I like. I can power slide, heel and toe, left foot brake and on ocassion even hold a car on two wheels (well in a sim anyway, the other things I will do for real aswell - this one i'll let slip!). I'm a racer. The above is an assumption.
Sorry, I was trying to sound intelligent for a change...
lol, but this is a forum. Sounding intelligent just gets you attacked.
#23 - Gunn
Yes drifting can help you become a better racer, but racing uses all these skills and more besides. Racing takes more overall skill and concentration, but you must undertake the journey to discover that fact.

*edit: should I have added a "young Jedi" to the end of my comment?
Quote from Blaeza :...

You're assuming that racers in general don't know how to catch a slide, or how to drift for that matter. Which is simply wrong. Being able to do that is a pretty common part of racecraft and anybody who cannot do that is probably pretty new to racing - and is going to fail horribly in any RWD car.

The difference is, drifters know much better how to initiate a drift, how to hold it cleanly (in sync with nearby cars) and how to connect corners. I'm surely not a great drifter, but you really don't need to be one to cope with an oversteer situation.
damn if only i didnt dl the trial vers on fraps id show u some race drifts but anyway if u look at the demo servers, id say 60% were drift, 30% race and 10% carpark, but i purchased lfs 50/50 race/drift.
This thread is closed

Why people dont like drifting in LFS ??
(318 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG