The online racing simulator

Poll : Favorite racing view while racing??

In Cockpit
Bumper
Custom
Chase
Cockpit of course....

with the added bonus of a TrackIR device, which takes care of the situational awareness.. plus makes it so much more immersive.

I'm really pleased with the TIR in LFS too, in some other race sims
it feels a bit awkward, but the tracking in LFS feels really natural.

With the lights off and the sound cranked up, you'll get sucked in
right away...
Cockpit's the only view for me.
Quote from danowat :Nothing will EVER be totally realistic, it is a game after all, but the cockpit view is a more realistic representation of what you see in a real car.

Dan,

No it isn`t - The cockpitview is a poor view, and is nowhere close to the real thing. I`ve been driving my own cars, since 1977, so my statement has a sort of value.

I usually see the tires, in the position they are in a real car. Openwheelers I sit in the "cockpit".

The cockpitview, is the worst thing about LFS, and any other simlike racergame, as you can never ever get the feeling, from a real car. I have seen those three screens setups - They look much much better, but I do not earn enough money, to buy such thingies !?

Force cockpitview on me, and I will drop LFS instantly.
Quote from alland44 :No it isn`t - The cockpitview is a poor view, and is nowhere close to the real thing. I`ve been driving my own cars, since 1977, so my statement has a sort of value.

I usually see the tires, in the position they are in a real car. Openwheelers I sit in the "cockpit".

Wait a second, a view with the camera positioned where the driver's head would be is less realistic than an x-ray vision camera positioned in the middle of the car with only the front wheels on show? What sort of cars have you been driving?

I'm sure I've posted before in this thread so my opinions are "on record" and I won't repeat myself, but when I see people justifying the realism claims made about the central "wheels view", with no sort of real basis for doing so, it winds me up.
reality = fun = cockpit
Quote from sinbad :Wait a second, a view with the camera positioned where the driver's head would be is less realistic than an x-ray vision camera positioned in the middle of the car with only the front wheels on show? What sort of cars have you been driving?

I'm sure I've posted before in this thread so my opinions are "on record" and I won't repeat myself, but when I see people justifying the realism claims made about the central "wheels view", with no sort of real basis for doing so, it winds me up.

Do you own a car yourself !?

It`s the feeling of the road - The black material underneath the car, I`m speaking of

I have to see this black material move, to drive the car. Sitting in the cockpit, do not allow you the same feeling, as in an IRL car.

When I choose this view, I get the closest to the IRL feeling, I can get. I have tried all views, and I mean ALL !

I am working on a better view, and are planning to get in the car, when I get the rigth equipment. I am in the market for a projector, which could give me the rigth feeling I seek.

But again - Money is the issue

EDIT :

And again. All the openwheelers, i sit IN THE CAR !

Lx4, Lx6, Fox, Fo8, Mrt, Bf1, so 33% of the cars is ok - Rigth

REEDIT :

And in the uf1000, when the top is off - Now we`re really getting somewhere !
This post is not directed at anyone, just something I always want to say when I read these driving view threads.

With the custom views etc. LFS allows you set the view so that you can see everything around you better than you would in real life. You can see exactly where your front tire goes and how close to the grass it is on the corner exit. With wheels view you can leave 0.5 millimeters between you and the wall and be 100% sure that you won't touch the wall. You can predict the racing line perfectly when looking the world around you higher than any real life racer is able to look. You get better visibility in blind corners, see the other cars perfectly and have 0 blind spots, A-pillars obstructing your vision etc..

I'm happy with the almost default cockpit view. It has the A-pillars blocking my view into corners, all other pillars obstructing partly my vision into other directions. I don't have my eyes 20 feet high so I don't see others on the track perfectly, some times I have to guess where they are. I have to guess how close I am to the wall as I can't tell it from the cockpit. So sometimes I hit something when I thought there was more room, sometimes I find out that there was more room than I thought.

I have tried the wheels-view and it was faster and easier. But not realistic, at all. Everybody to their own, I'm not saying that you should use this or that. But in my books using the wheels view, setting the camera a bit higher is cheating. Rough word, but that's my honest opinion.

Been driving cars for just 5 years in real life. Always inside the cockpit.
Quote from Hyperactive :This post is not directed at anyone, just something I always want to say when I read these driving view threads.

With the custom views etc. LFS allows you set the view so that you can see everything around you better than you would in real life. You can see exactly where your front tire goes and how close to the grass it is on the corner exit. With wheels view you can leave 0.5 millimeters between you and the wall and be 100% sure that you won't touch the wall. You can predict the racing line perfectly when looking the world around you higher than any real life racer is able to look. You get better visibility in blind corners, see the other cars perfectly and have 0 blind spots, A-pillars obstructing your vision etc..

I'm happy with the almost default cockpit view. It has the A-pillars blocking my view into corners, all other pillars obstructing partly my vision into other directions. I don't have my eyes 20 feet high so I don't see others on the track perfectly, some times I have to guess where they are. I have to guess how close I am to the wall as I can't tell it from the cockpit. So sometimes I hit something when I thought there was more room, sometimes I find out that there was more room than I thought.

I have tried the wheels-view and it was faster and easier. But not realistic, at all. Everybody to their own, I'm not saying that you should use this or that. But in my books using the wheels view, setting the camera a bit higher is cheating. Rough word, but that's my honest opinion.

Been driving cars for just 5 years in real life. Always inside the cockpit.

I am a bit worried. You have driven an irl car for 5 years, and you can`t tell the difference !?

How does that sound

But you finns can drive any car, anywhere - faaaast !
Finns are born with gasoline in their venes
Cockpit...End of story...if your racing in a sim use cockpit...if you race arcade use some other crap!!! Thats how i feel!!!!
What was wrong with the other topic where we discussed the camera angels used? Let us not start it all over again.

----Chase veiw user since S1 demo, and still uses it----
Is it something i said?? haha sorry just a strong SIM guy HAHA
Nono, nothing wrong said
People have their opinion, and I have mine. My point was just that we allready has a topic on the 1st page that are used in discussion cockpit vs chase/other camera angels. Was no need for bumping an almost 1 year old topic.
opps it read today..and new post i guess my comp is acting up!! haha sorry!!
Quote from DFS_MadFred :Cockpit of course....

with the added bonus of a TrackIR device, which takes care of the situational awareness.. plus makes it so much more immersive.

I'm really pleased with the TIR in LFS too, in some other race sims
it feels a bit awkward, but the tracking in LFS feels really natural.

With the lights off and the sound cranked up, you'll get sucked in
right away...

Same for me.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG