The online racing simulator

Poll : Favorite racing view while racing??

In Cockpit
Bumper
Custom
Chase
Soft Poll - What's your favorite drivers view when racing?
Bumper? Cockpit? Chase? and so on...

When I say bumper I mean the view where all you see are your front wheels. ie; custome wheel views and so on.

How do you edit a poll to add an option? Ahh darn. You get the idea.

C.
No other view than cockpit.
Gotta be cockpit. Anything else just isn't a sim, and the framerate hit is so tiny that I think it's a naff excuse unless you have a Pentium II
^^^
Chase view is for NFS/GTA/GT, i.e. non-sim racing games ...
View I use is custom wheel view - which is not a bumper view but more an incar view without the car being drawn (think a number of people use this view so would be good to add to the poll)
Well hard to explain, I picked the in cockpit view cause technically it is inside But just so you guys can get an idea.. here ya go see attached
Attached images
XRR Cockpit.JPG
None of the above?

I use a custom view. Basically it is a like the wheels view, but with the car drawn, and the camera is put as high as it can go vertically (Z offset view)... so basically I see the front of the car or hood/bonnet and am always sitting in the middle.

Might feel or look wierd at first, but it made me more consistent, as I can see the corners alot sooner/clearer than most of you

Plus by doing this, I get a much better arrangement of the data views and gauges, can sit on either side of the car because my view is really always centered, and don't have to use the stupid sidea mirrors. Some people do this by using the wheels view, but I always found that it was too low and the wheels blocked my vision... so I made this view, and it has worked out ever since

EDIT: Oh and Tristan, I find the cockpit view to be the most framerate hit compared to any other view!! Notice the FPS I have on my shots below... and that is with a crap laptop
Attached images
custom_view_lfs_tweak.jpg
custom_view_lfs_settings_tweak.jpg
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
edit: @Tweak SO THAT'S YOUR SECRET!

I drive cockpit view, sometimes with the forces on instead of the cockpit! Try it, it's cool. (Hit F in cockpit view)

I'm still waiting for the sweet suspension graphics to be integrated, a la Viper Racing but much better. Along with those glowing rotors :
Quote from tristancliffe :Gotta be cockpit. Anything else just isn't a sim, and the framerate hit is so tiny that I think it's a naff excuse unless you have a Pentium II

the framerate hit is in the 20-30 fps range ... so its a lot on any pc

cockpit
#10 - axus
I use the wheels view - my excuse is that I have a 17" CRT and I don't want half my screen being taken up by interior bits that just sit there. If I had a bigger screen (remember the 17" CRT's have a viewing spcae of about 14") I would probably go for cockpit.
wheel view.

i always wonder why most ppl use the cockpit view instead. It reduces the "useable" FOV to a 10cm strip. When using wheelview your FOV is about what u ll have in a real car.
Monitor is small enough, no need to waste it with the static cockpit.
It has to be Cockpit, when driving a real car thats what you see, so using anything else isnt really very realistic.

Dan,
Quote from Infiniti :Well hard to explain, I picked the in cockpit view cause technically it is inside But just so you guys can get an idea.. here ya go see attached

Got exactly the same view This is so much realistic.
Just experience yourself in a real car, you cant see road AND revmeter at the same time without moving your eyes.
Also, when drivin i dont want to see useless stuff in my view sight like steering wheel ( i already see the one i have in my hands ), etc.

cheers,
Quote from danowat :It has to be Cockpit, when driving a real car thats what you see, so using anything else isnt really very realistic.

Dan,

Well, actually when you are driving a car, a lot of the dash and lower parts are just not in your peripheral vision... or at least, you shouldn't be sitting back far enough that you can focus on that. Normally when you race, those things are completely out of your view and you are looking at the track. I'd say that the view Infiniti posted above is more like what you would experience... but maybe a bit higher FOV. About the only thing that should be in your view in a proper seating position and eye level is the A-Pillar, top of dash, and your side & middle mirrors. Also think about if you were wearing a helmet.
Well, I beg to differ, when I am driving a real car, the clocks and steering wheel ARE in periheral vision, and I only have to flick my eyes down to view them

The same is true in LFS, the clocks and steering wheel are in periheral vision, and I only have to flick my eyes to see the clocks and wheel.

How anyone can say any view OTHER than the cockpit view is more realistic is beyond my comprehention.

Dan,
Quote from Infiniti :Well hard to explain, I picked the in cockpit view cause technically it is inside But just so you guys can get an idea.. here ya go see attached

thats exactly the view i use. i also picked the cockpit option.

and its more realistic than the standard cockpit view.
I use cockpit view with about 85 FOV. Wouldn't change it to anything else
I'm using cockpit view with 68° FOV. Personally, I can't stand a high FOV, it makes me motion sick.

Quote from Infiniti :Well hard to explain, I picked the in cockpit view cause technically it is inside. But just so you guys can get an idea.. here ya go see attached

I used to race like that but it's not exactly realistic. To make it realistic you'd need to use the standard cockpit view with a very low FOV, like 30° or something. If you move the camera position forward like you do, it's like you're driving with your chin on the steering wheel and I hope you don't do that IRL . On the first glance it might look quite close to RL, but if you think about it for a while, it becomes apparant that you have way too high FOV for that position.

It makes driving much easier though, and it's still far more realistic than any wheels or nothing-at-all view.
standard cockpit view
Quote from AndroidXP :I'm using cockpit view with 68° FOV. Personally, I can't stand a high FOV, it makes me motion sick.

I used to race like that but it's not exactly realistic. To make it realistic you'd need to use the standard cockpit view with a very low FOV, like 30° or something. If you move the camera position forward like you do, it's like you're driving with your chin on the steering wheel and I hope you don't do that IRL . On the first glance it might look quite close to RL, but if you think about it for a while, it becomes apparant that you have way too high FOV for that position.

It makes driving much easier though, and it's still far more realistic than any wheels or nothing-at-all view.

none of the views is exactly realistic with a standard monitor , the standard cockpit view neither. well i don't know how far away your monitor is, but for a 68° view it must be pretty close to your eyes .
Nothing will EVER be totally realistic, it is a game after all, but the cockpit view is a more realistic representation of what you see in a real car.

Dan,
I just use the normal in car cokpit view. Never tried any other view. Might try a custom view when i get home later though.
Quote from Fetzo :none of the views is exactly realistic with a standard monitor , the standard cockpit view neither. well i don't know how far away your monitor is, but for a 68° view it must be pretty close to your eyes .

Pardon? I said the only realistic view is one from the cockpit with very low FOV. I did not say that my view was any more realistic than his
#24 - Nobo
I allways drive with the chase view! What i really need is a mirror!!!!!!!

And dont say thats unrealistic, its unrealistic, too, that you have a minimap and all that stuff! As long as you can drive with the views its ok! ....My advantage is that i have a better overview....and i allways see whats next to my car....for example, at the weekend we had an event, a cocpit view driver turned into me in one of the corners of SO Long, because he hasnt seen me next to him....cant happen to me ....
but as i said, a mirror must definately implented into the chase view! I know a lot of chase view drivers who really need that, too!

ALDI
Cockpit!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG