The online racing simulator
Quote from speedfreak227 :i just came across this thread and i´m not reading the 100 previous posts, so pardon me if i´m repeating something that someone has already said.

the last few imports i´ve owned wouldn´t even let a car start in gear without activating a "clutch interlock override". yet another reason to not buy domestic. (ford, gm, crysler in this case as i´m in canada)

Japanese and German

speedfreak227

Uh? Never heard of any of this device here! But maybe it's because everyone knows how manual gearboxes works so maybe it's a North America thing...
My sister has had a few American cars and they always do it. She's gone French now...
My first time when I drove a car was when I was age of 8, it was winter time and that car was 80's Bedford pickup truck, I did not stall it, but I did drift it, not very well of course, but I floored it and dropped clutch, then countersteerd, however I was bit short so I could not control throttle too well while turning :P

It took time until I learned to drive more civilized manner, but I learned first to drift, then to grip race and finally to drove in traffic.

I have had one car with auto gears, only one car that is that I have ever driven with auto gears, it is must to have if you drive in traffic, you can talk to phone without handsfree then much easier

I have stalled car or vehicle 3 times in my life, two times where because that 20 ton truck had little fault and it could be not shutdown otherwise and once because engine did run only with 2 cylinders instead of 4, it just had no power to run

I have driven around 500 000km (really have not kept book, but one job I had I drove 100k in a year for few years) so have seen quite some things from roads already
Quote from Matrixi :Also, some cars that have 4x discs can have separate small brake drums in the rear just for the handbrake. Many Volvos and BMW have this system.

But if you have discs in the rear, that doesn't mean your handbrake is always hydraulic. My Nissan had discs in the back and it didn't have a hydraulic handbrake. I'm pretty sure it didn't have separate drum brakes for the handbrake either.

Hmm, now I just remember some thread, it is one of craziest threads I have ever seen, it was on RSC and was about how one kid was telling how handbrake affects to all 4 wheels in 180sx or something, damn I laughed reading that stuff

You are of course very right, some cars do have separate handbrake drums or discs, some alfa got discs.

Many cars however don't, specially older cars, handbrake affects to just rear brakes (typically) and if you pull enough hard you will just spin, or if main brakes are bad that is not helping at all. Some newer Volvo's have bad handbrake, if you let it on and it frozes there is problem of brake shoe surface to become loose and that is of course not good at all.
Wow, it's a good thing the garage was seemingly made from paper.
Quote from spookthehamster :Wow, it's a good thing the garage was seemingly made from paper.

Well it was American. They make their houses from paper. Then cry when it gets blown over in a slight gale.
None of the storms America gets would do any damage if houses were made from brick and not paper and double sided sticky tape.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Well it was American. They make their houses from paper. Then cry when it gets blown over in a slight gale.
None of the storms America gets would do any damage if houses were made from brick and not paper and double sided sticky tape.

There was laws that probhited making too strong doors in there
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Well it was American. They make their houses from paper. Then cry when it gets blown over in a slight gale.

An American house....

Just went outside, I'm pretty sure those are real bricks...
Attached images
house2.jpg
Quote from Shotglass :uh the handbrake uses the same brakeing calipers as the footbreak tweak

Isn't it the REAR brakes that the handbrake uses? And as I said, the brakes can fade from going downhill, and those are the front brakes. And in my example a few days back, the front brakes were wearing almost down to metal.... so I used the e-brake to allow more pressure on the rears and light pressure on the fronts from my foot. Yes? Late reply, but 96 GTS already explained it.

I'm sensing you don't understand the situations I am explaining here:
Quote from Shotglass :have you ever driven a manual at all ? if youve stalled you wont roll back

Of course I've driven one, and I drive my parents Boxster often, which has a much more notorious clutch than a typical street driving car. But that aside, my example said stall OR rolling back on a hill.
Quote from Shotglass :its impossible to stall a car in any other situation then starting from a standstill or slowing down to one
ie a car doenst move if its stalls

Maybe you haven't been in bumper to bumper traffic like we have over here. But if you are constantly stop and go in close traffic, and the flow is at a good rate from time to time, and then the car in front of you stalls and stops for no reason... it's something that many people will rear end your car from.
What a fool! I'm sorry, but car controls are NOT complicated - I think I 'drove' my first car at the age of 4, and was doing both pedals and steering as soon as I could see through the steering wheel.

But the classic car was a far prettier, cooler and more desirable car - thank god kids today don't realise that, otherwise the nice one of the pair could have been damaged.
Quote from Tweaker :Isn't it the REAR brakes that the handbrake uses? And as I said, the brakes can fade from going downhill, and those are the front brakes. And in my example a few days back, the front brakes were wearing almost down to metal.... so I used the e-brake to allow more pressure on the rears and light pressure on the fronts from my foot. Yes? Late reply, but 96 GTS already explained it.

Some weird cars handbrake affects to fronts, what a silly design, impossible to make handbrake turns illepall

Hmm, you really should take better care from your cars
Well my brakes were just about due for a replacement. A few days after I had them done (this week).

But there is nothing wrong with using the handbrake when going down a hill. Like I said, it helps if you do not want to apply full pressure to the foot pedal, which in turn would give all the braking force to the FRONTS. Letting the rear do a bit more of the work from the handbrake is safer, allowing you to use lighter pressure on the foot pedal. And it isn't like your rears are going to lock up and you'll start sliding all over the place... I dunno why some people are thinking that. Even with the handbrake gently applied with some pressure and not cranked all the way, it is still safe to drive on, and safe to slow down with. What other purpose do you think the handbrake is for :zombie:????? It's not just for parking.
Quote from Tweaker :Well my brakes were just about due for a replacement. A few days after I had them done (this week).

But there is nothing wrong with using the handbrake when going down a hill. Like I said, it helps if you do not want to apply full pressure to the foot pedal, which in turn would give all the braking force to the FRONTS. Letting the rear do a bit more of the work from the handbrake is safer, allowing you to use lighter pressure on the foot pedal. And it isn't like your rears are going to lock up and you'll start sliding all over the place... I dunno why some people are thinking that. Even with the handbrake gently applied with some pressure and not cranked all the way, it is still safe to drive on, and safe to slow down with. What other purpose do you think the handbrake is for :zombie:????? It's not just for parking.

Foot brake is usually 70-75% for front and rest of pressure is for rear, always.

Handbrake is just for parking really, it is not meant for anything else, at least in Europe, but it is handy for handbraketurns
Quote from Tweaker :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_brake

That is American view, but that is not how it is in here, it is stated to be pretty less meaning as safety measure if main brakes fail.
Maybe because we do have lot of ice on roads and if you pull handbrake you _will_ spin, of course at summer it is much better.
Quote from JTbo :Maybe because we do have lot of ice on roads and if you pull handbrake you _will_ spin, of course at summer it is much better.

I can see where you're coming from then I was on a dry road at this time, it was fine. It's raining here now, and I wouldn't use it now, heheh.
Well my friend uses his handbrake as a secondary brake when pulling up to traffic lights and completely leaves the foot brake alone when at about 10mph (not all the time though), he also uses the clutch to slow the car down.... hehe, he showed me a good demonstration of the clutch braking when going down a 8 level car park, that was fun at 20mph
wait, i don't see why the kid couldn't have just hit the brake, it looked like there was enough room. Sure, you might damage the transmission, or maybe destroy it, but it will be less costly than replacing the wall and fixing the car.

It seems a bit "set up", but then again, the hormone controlled mind of a 14 year old.illepall

edit: perhaps being an idiot runs in the family.
i'd imagine he paniced, didn't know WTF to do and just froze up, like most people do irl, can't blame him for that, he's 14 and is heading for a wall
Handbrake can be a lifesaver with powerful understeering RWD cars at winter and it definately isn't useful only for parking.

Imagine driving with studless winter tires and you hit an icy road and your front loses traction and your car starts understeering. What do you do? Pull the handbrake! That trick saved me a million times last winter. Of course when you do this you must know how to catch a slide, so practice this at an empty parking lot.

Also, if you have an RWD car with not much weight in the back plus you're unlucky to have an open differential, handbrake can help you get the car in to motion at winter. You know when you're waiting in the traffic lights and they turn green, then you lift the clutch and only one rear wheel starts to spin and slip and your car won't move anywhere. Here again, pull the handbrake lightly (let it drag a bit untill the car moves) and the power transfer will be distributed to both rear wheels. It's kind of the same thing when you do a burnout on a non limited slip diff car and both rear tires spin, as the brakes balance the power distribution out.
The use of handbrake (or even the using of brakes) Tweaker told just sounds so foolish! It's not for braking down when going downhill, in normal traffic it's useful when starting stationary position uphill and when parking and that's it. We Finns of course look this from different perspective because just this week the winter (or should I say ice age) rolled in and it's slippery everywhere and a thought of someone pulling a handbrake in downhill just makes me scared. Just put the car on lower gear so you can have some engine braking and play around with the clutch to adjust it so you roll the speed you want..oh, wait... you can't do that with a automatic can you?
Well, I'll ignore the arguments, but that video clip was DAMN amusing.
Quote :wait, i don't see why the kid couldn't have just hit the brake, it looked like there was enough room. Sure, you might damage the transmission, or maybe destroy it, but it will be less costly than replacing the wall and fixing the car.

You can hear the kid blip the throttle, I suspect he didn't have a clue which pedal did what. Which is fair enough if you've never asked and never been shown - but did somewhat compound his problem.

As for handbrakes, i've done two handbrake turns in my life. The first was when pulling away from a set of lights my friend in the passenger seat decided I would do a hand brake turn. I do wish he'd consulted me first because I was driving a Citroen BX which has a front wheel handbrake.

After that kerb jarring exercise I later did one in snowy conditions, with a
racing driver in my passenger seat mouthing off about his car control and how women will never go far in motor sports I decided to leave the race track with something of a demonstration. Perhaps it was adrenaline, maybe it was PMT, but whatever it was the turn, and subsequent power slides and drifts out of the narrow confines was perfectly executed and he somewhat changed his tune, after which I slowed down before I crashed it...
Quote from Blackout :The use of handbrake (or even the using of brakes) Tweaker told just sounds so foolish! It's not for braking down when going downhill, in normal traffic it's useful when starting stationary position uphill and when parking and that's it. We Finns of course look this from different perspective because just this week the winter (or should I say ice age) rolled in and it's slippery everywhere and a thought of someone pulling a handbrake in downhill just makes me scared. Just put the car on lower gear so you can have some engine braking and play around with the clutch to adjust it so you roll the speed you want..oh, wait... you can't do that with a automatic can you?

Not just that, I've seen several cases where someone pulled the handbrake up for parking, and over night the brakes froze together...

Senseless 14 year old+ new 500hp Mustang...
(170 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG