The online racing simulator
What's wrong with the RAC?
(65 posts, started )
What's wrong with it, well, for start with, it doesn't have a anti roll bar at the rear, it's light, mid-engined, it has lot of power but most importantly, it's filled with EVIL spirits! Doesn't mean it's impossible to drive, it's not, but I feel it's the easiest car to overstep, it's very easy overdrive it, you go too fast, understeer or oversteer in corners and it's very easy to blame the car (like all race drivers do). Like said many times in this thread, you just need to be very gentle. Noticed that myself few weeks back when I tried it again, and like it should be with all cars if you understeer don't go that fast in the next time, be smooth with it. It's starting to look like the RAC would be getting the same reputation that LX6 had in S1, it was impossible and pure evil and only the most bravest and skilfully could drive it, is that what it is now?
The secret to enjoying the RAC is to make a decent setup! I chose the RAC as a project car for finally getting around to learning the mechanics of a good setup. I never liked it either, so changing anything I didn't like about it really improved things. I eventually turned it into a drift setup when testing one afternoon and ended up with something that can outdrift a lot of the other guys and I'm a rare drifter . I've found that during oversteer you need to have nearly full opposite lock to catch it properly.

Still, would be nice to see it used more often!
The secret is to increase tire pressures almost to max. Then all cars act more firmly. For FZ50 I use 3.45 bars for front and 3.50 bars for rear. This might sound unrealistic and fool but after increased tire pressures FZ50 and RAC won't slide all the time and have a realistic amount of basic understeer like Porsche 911.

LFS's current tire flexibility is bit exaggerated and I think that ~3.5 bars is more likely around 2.5-3.0 bars.

I strongly recommend to test the increasement of tire pressures.

Here is Bob's Easy to drive setup pack.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=278
I don't know people's problems with the RAC, it's quite nice to drive, it doesn't do anything unexspected... Of course it's much easier to drive the FXO, but the RAC is one of the most fun cars in LFS, together with the LXs
Quote from Antsa :Here is Bob's Easy to drive setup pack.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=279

Those sets were made for the physics in patch P/Q. They understeer too much when used with S/T/U, IMO. I keep meaning to get around to "fixing" them, but it's a slow and somewhat laborious process when I have to do all the testing alone.

And the RAC actually handles great with the latest physics, it used to be all understeer then oversteer, now it's just sweet. Dunno what all the fuss is about. Just drive the damn thing.
The only reason I don't drive it is because of the interior.

It gets on my nerves so much I find it impossible top concentrate.
Quote from Bob Smith :Those sets were made for the physics in patch P/Q. They understeer too much when used with S/T/U, IMO. I keep meaning to get around to "fixing" them, but it's a slow and somewhat laborious process when I have to do all the testing alone.

And the RAC actually handles great with the latest physics, it used to be all understeer then oversteer, now it's just sweet. Dunno what all the fuss is about. Just drive the damn thing.

Sorry, I posted a wrong version. I fixed it. But I still want that everyone tests different tire pressures because those have a huge effect on car's handling and balance in LFS.
#33 - JTbo
RAC is one of most enjoyable rides in LFS, it just need rather good setup and bit control to right foot, it is not super easy to drive as some of LFS cars are.
Quote from deggis :RAC and FZ50 just highlights the current physics issues better than the other cars.

FZ50 really depends A LOT on the setup and track. On South City I dont even need the Traction control with my setup and its not a problem to drive with keyboard
When I chose the RAC as the STCC safety car I spent the evening trying to build as much understeer into the car setup as possible, it needed to be ultra-timid so that I didn't make the foolish mistake of spinning out the 'safety car'. I chose it purely on looks, not on practicality!

My main concern is that i'm rapidly building up a collection of extremely abysmal pb's on LFS World toodling around the various STCC tracks at safety car speeds...

Really, I could be much faster if I tried ! (*gulp*)

I have thrown the car around a little, with my safety car understeering setup, and it is very difficult to hook up lap after lap at 'race' speed without making mistakes. This pretty much rules it out of arrive & crash public server use, people play LFS for fun not for frustration! Although it is rewarding to have completed a lap without error and then coast around a second lap and at each corner say "I did that at race speed in an RAC!".
Fischfix asked for my SC setup, we'll I can't see any wr's being broken, or even any TBO wr's! All the same here they are !
i went through a stage when i used to drive the RAC a little offline, but the thing is it was that hard to master, i never felt confident enough that i could race it on a server and not take everyone out.
I'm going to try the RAC and FZ50 on fern bay club right away!

There, I tried it, wasn't super fast, but I would be able to beat myself in an FXO with the RAC or FZ50 at fern bay. In the FXO it was way easier to get a good time, but I would be able to compete in those two cars. They're very twitchy, but when you don't try to rush yourself, these cars have great acceleration, just ease in and when you're alligned, then hit the throttle hard, during the turn just feather it a bit, maybe give some extra juice to make it slide a bit to counter the understeer, and there ya go.
tis my favourite car in LFS, I think
Now I keep running it around fern bay black, so much fun! Spin out a few times, but nothing severe, I can always continu. Just this one time, in the second chicane, I hit a tyre, and so I slammed into the other tyres, which made me do a complete front flip and let me continu. Although I had to give up after a few turns noticing my suspension went to hell, but it was great
The RAC is a car I'd love to love, but I just can't. Shes like that girl at the back of the room you can just see oozing with charm, but if you try anything that goes beyond her rules, she'll bite and bite you hard. And she'll enjoy it.

In many ways, driving the RAC is like making love to a beautiful woman (apologies for Fast Show reference)..
Quote from the_angry_angel :In many ways, driving the RAC is like making love to a beautiful woman

So you've never driven the RAC, eh? :P
Or did you buy a beautiful woman simulator for 24 pounds?
Quote from xaotik :So you've never driven the RAC, eh? :P

Yes he did, the RAC just doesn't know yet.

(damn 60 seconds again!!)
#44 - Jakg
Its the slowest of the LRF's, it gets pwned in a straight line by everything, same for corners
Quote from Jakg :Its the slowest of the LRF's, it gets pwned in a straight line by everything, same for corners

Ra has far better acceleration out of corners than the FZ50 which is the main competitor for the Ra. Ra also toasts the FZ50 in starts and the Ra owns the FZ50 with better corner-in abilitis but loses time on topspeed.

FZ50 is the NFS wannabe in LFS
Well, you can feel the FZ's heaviness every single moment, it's only party-piece is the power and therefore it's top speed... I think the biggest disadvantage of the RA is that you can't adjust the rear ARBs... And the LX6 has none of these disadvantages, so it smokes both other cars on every track (except Aston, where top speed matters)...
totally agree.
Ive been using lrf at WErev only and I must say I like rac very much. frankly its the fz50 that is more tail happy than rac - I do not dump it hard so with bit of weight transfer I have perfect control of under-over-steer. And you can feel there is no engine at rear that always drags you back to front

as my sig says ix6 could be balanced too
I sometimes have a go with the rac but everytime i have to get myself into serious mode to stop that car spin its rear and front end on seperate ways...ok it is a hard2drive car but imo it should be replaced with a car in same class with an elise.

I love fz50 and fxr and xfr and bf1 and all of them...
#49 - Jakg
ok, sod the RAC - the LX6 with a passenger round BL1R is a blast. The Passenger helps to slow it down to everything else can keep up (and to give more traction!)
#50 - Tube
Quote from deggis :RAC and FZ50 just highlights the current physics issues better than the other cars.

I don't believe this for a second. Both, FZ50 and RAC can be controlled perfectly. We had great, close races with them on a high level.
RAC is just one of the cars which you cannot force beyond all bounds, unlike the noob cars like BF1 which basically drive for you and all you have to do is get the turn entrance right.

What's wrong with the RAC?
(65 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG