The online racing simulator
What's wrong with the RAC?
(65 posts, started )
I've just flew over the statistics and it tells me the RAC is the car with the less usage in the game. What's wrong with it? Why is nobody driving that sucker?
Personally, I find it very difficult to drive. The back end seems to be much faster than the front, it keeps overtaking me in corners.
RAC and FZ50 just highlights the current physics issues better than the other cars.
At higher speeds it can be a bit painful to drive. Of course it is as nice ride as any other car in LFS, it just takes a bit more time than the average FOX to learn to throw it around.

For tracks like Ky2 or the short city configs it suits almost perfectly imho
i wanted to like it, but the back end has a mind of it's own and it's almost impossible to control.
#6 - bbman
My usual cornering in the RAC: extreme understeer into the corner, and wild oversteer out of it... And I didn't found a setup that suited me yet... So, if I can help it, I drive the LX6 or the FZ5 instead...
It needs very very gentle throttle control.

Also you must keep it UNDER control all the time, it takes a lot of skill to control it at the LIMIT.
Quote from Peptis :Personally, I find it very difficult to drive. The back end seems to be much faster than the front, it keeps overtaking me in corners.

heck, the back overtakes me on the straights sometimes.
Take it to Fern Bay Green; it will show its nasty side there. It will under, over, no steer and then because throttle is very sensitve it will just spin out. Oh, and tthe front and the rear of the car are constantly disagreeing with each other. At the wrong time. Hell, you can spin this car out on a straightaway easily.
I like it, but I only drive it on Rallycross tracks.
Never really drove it. No reason I haven't really. I like the FZ50. There are a few tracks that I like the LX6 better, but I like the FZ on the majority. I did have a short stint on the oval in the RAC a few nights ago. It felt really good. I was hoping we would change to a different track and run RAC, but everyone pretty much left the server then. I had planned on hunting down servers with it enabled, but never did after that. Perhaps I will in a few minutes.
I don't find RAC or FZ5 higlighting physics issues..
They are perfectly controlable if you drive them nicely.
I haven't drove FZ5 much before, because everyone were saying that it is uncontrolable, well i find it becoming one of my favorites cars now. I played a bit with some drift set and my god, the car is great. Everything happens with a reason(just like with other cars), the weight transfer is great, i could really feel it. It really is a powerfull monster, very rewarding to drive!
Haven't driven RAC on the other hand that much, but i guess it's the same deal as with FZ50. You have to understand that you can't push them like that, you can't expect RAC to enter the corner in the same speed and stability as FOX for example. You must drive it gently, with gentle inputs, pretending like you'r in a real car.
This also aplies to those comments like "ice physics" and similiar...
Ice physics, jesus, physics is an absolute blast, people just need to realize that you can't expect the car to do something that can't be done.
Drive the RAC and FZ50 slowly for starters, and gradually increase speed... when you find them uncontrollable or "ICEY" it means that you're reached their limits, and they can't grip anymore, just face with that, don't call that "icey" or whatever..
Quote from Boris Lozac :I don't find RAC or FZ5 higlighting physics issues..
They are perfectly controlable if you drive them nicely.
I haven't drove FZ5 much before, because everyone were saying that it is uncontrolable, well i find it becoming one of my favorites cars now. I played a bit with some drift set and my god, the car is great. Everything happens with a reason(just like with other cars), the weight transfer is great, i could really feel it. It really is a powerfull monster, very rewarding to drive!
Haven't driven RAC on the other hand that much, but i guess it's the same deal as with FZ50. You have to understand that you can't push them like that, you can't expect RAC to enter the corner in the same speed and stability as FOX for example. You must drive it gently, with gentle inputs, pretending like you'r in a real car.
This also aplies to those comments like "ice physics" and similiar...
Ice physics, jesus, physics is an absolute blast, people just need to realize that you can't expect the car to do something that can't be done.
Drive the RAC and FZ50 slowly for starters, and gradually increase speed... when you find them uncontrollable or "ICEY" it means that you're reached their limits, and they can't grip anymore, just face with that, don't call that "icey" or whatever..

Lesson learnt the hard way. I've been a demo user for months and I still can't control the XRT. Hell, even the XRG punches me back from time to time...
i like the RAC for drifting
but for a normal race its 2 hard for me, cant be competive with that car
I love the RAC... it's one of my favorite cars in LFS simply because it IS hard to drive and I derive great joy from SURVIVING a lap, let alone posting a good time.

It's nimble, light, and has an excellent power to weight ratio. It's hard to find configs for the RAC simply because the nuances of each drivers style makes any one config useless.

I've spent countless laps and track configs fine tuning my general RAC config for MY driving style. I prefer not to have a stiff block of wood for a suspension in the RAC as the understeer gets stupid. I made it slightly softer than the default 'race' config and increased the rear camber a touch. It keeps the back end in check under cornering + throttle a little better. The downside is that keeping the car's balance in check when manouevering around gets a little tricky and fishtailing is a little easy to do.

But I digress. RAC = Awesome.
ra/fz5/lx6 is probably my favourite class, but unfortunately there is very rarely any servers with ppl racing them, and when they are, they seem to get dumped very quickly because too many ppl have trouble driving them. I dont really find them hard to drive, they just have a lot more power compared to something like the xrt, so you just have to be a bit more careful, but they are all very rewarding once you get the hang of em.
The RAC's sliding feels strange to me. It sort of 'yaws' diagonally or something, and the only way to help it manage corners properly is to induce understeer when driving or with the setup. Many people are making setups with high amounts of camber because the car just does not grip in so many ways. It is a bit of a shame because I think the car could be a lot better if it felt more nimble. Though mid engined cars are very snappy, it is a natural for them to act like the RAC does, though I think the RAC is a bit too extreme compared to a mid-engined car's performance. The FZ50 makes the effect even worse by having the engine farther to the rear (and the FZ doesn't even have the proper Porsche suspension model).

I am pretty sure that later on down the road, these two cars will be a blast to drive. For now, I think it is best to give them a chance, since you gain a lot of skill from those snappy cars.
eh, i just find it to spin from anything so i don't like it, also i really don't like tat tiny exhaust pipe, it looks like i couldn't fit a cigar in there. Now, If there were two exhaust pipes, then i would be able to look at it.
Would the FZ's correct rear suspension type make that much of a difference?
Quote from Peptis :Personally, I find it very difficult to drive. The back end seems to be much faster than the front, it keeps overtaking me in corners.

Lol. Perfect description.
wait... now i understood what has been said...

the RAC is the LEAST popular car???

that's it! from now on, i will only drive the RAC. no other car, ever...

by definition, the best thing can not be popular, because only the least people can comprehend and use the finer characteristics of something superior.

why do you not drive it?? you should be ashamed of yourselves! you left the RAC alone and unloved...

"it is hard to drive whaaa"

WELL, RACING IS SUPPOSED TO BE HARD!

if you want easy, go weave baskets.

grr
#22 - JJ72
The problem with RAC is mostly under braking, how quickly the weight tranfer and lightens the rear governed the behavior of the car at the corner entry, and that has to compensated by how to apply braking. I had some long with with it on Kyoto Long, and at the double left hander before the contant radius turn that leads to the oval, it was a real headache, it's a corner where you just need to tab the brakes a bit, sometimes the rearend sticks alright, but most of the time it just snaps away from me the instant i put the brake on, or sometimes if I am too gentle on the brake, it understeers and when i try to correct with some more lock, it slide away as well. Later on I realize the method is to turn in early, let the car coast to the apex, hence spreading the weight transition over a longer time and lessen the impact, and use as little steering input as possible, about 3/5 through the turn and before the apex, gentlely apply throttle so the turbo spools up and you get torque, then hold it there, the car will somehow hook on the line better, the rear end pushing the car around in a very stable manner.

most of it's whores come from high speed, at low speed it's very responsive at the front and on tracks like SO, as long as you keep the bumps in check, it's great fun to drive, however pushing it as hard as the other cars would be a bit difficult, I can drive it smoothly and cleanly however my laptime is just 1 second quicker than my LX4 time on SO long, to get quicker I would really need a very nervous car which is beyound my control.
#23 - JCTK
I'm usually already off the brakes when I turn in with the RAC, this isn't the fastest way to drive, but at least it won't slide all over the place and losing time in the process...
#24 - Woz
The RA is not that hard it just requires you to be VERY subtle with the controls. Even with RACE_S it is a great drive if you take some of the bite out of the diff.

The problem is that many setups give too much control over weight transfer to your right foot and this is a car you need to balance at all times to keep on the road.

I used to think the same about the LX cars once but now its not that hard to get a race that people manage to keep them on the track.
once i used slickmod with it on BL1
illepall NEVER AGAIN, on the straights it just went from left to right and visa versa, and the FF was very strange

(65 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG