The online racing simulator
Quote from deggis :For example take a look at the horrible collision detection sound in LFS which is generated (though it might sound so horrible partly because of the "bugs" in the collision detection).

jesus effing christ how many posts will it take till you finally understand that its not a collision sound ?
Quote from mrodgers :I found myself "missing" shifts almost every shift. Missing such as I overshot the shift point consistantly. This was probably due more to the actual sounds rather than the mod. It didn't sound like it was up to rev's until around 11000 rpm in the FZR.

http://torttu.net/temp/lfs/beefy_FZR.mp3

Better?

Though it sounds a lot different anyways because I also changed engine sounds and increased the sampling frequencies. I tested it by turning off gauges, then saving the replay to see when did I actually shift - I didn't miss a single shift. Maybe I got used to it already but then I tested the default FZR sound in this mod with the same way and immediately overshot shifts.

If you didn't know CSR includes a great sound editor which is pretty easy to use. Now it's just up to people to make and tune up the sounds, CSR has more potential than just the few included default sounds.

Quote :I tried to blend the LFS and CSR sounds, but couldn't change the level in CSR.

Press down mouse button on the orange volume slider and move mouse foward/backward.

Quote :Important - I could not get the momoled program working with it. Pitspotter mod did work. Both of those are important. I've yet to get any 2 programs that use outgage working together (like LFSC and momoled).

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=13950

Quote from Shotglass :jesus effing christ how many posts will it take till you finally understand that its not a collision sound ?

You hear it MOSTLY when you crash other cars or objects, so it's easier to call it collision sound than writing 10 lines and explaining where it actually comes.
Well some of you might be interested, some of you might not be. But in a thread, tweak said this

Quote from tweak :
He is roughly 3 seconds off the world record with the XFR @ SOT, and IF he can get within at least a second of the world record, I'd consider the sounds as helping him and refer him as a reliable source

So I said, I see this as a challange. Well just to let you know, 5 laps in, and only 1 sec to find now
not sure what it'll prove myself... some of us are more effected by emotion when driving than others?
Quote from Blowtus :not sure what it'll prove myself... some of us are more effected by emotion when driving than others?

Of course, I think this is also one reason why some ppl get that extra boost from sounds and others don't.

Fordman, go for it, only one tiny second, you should be able to that in one night so no need to go sleep until you get that 1 second off
deggis, thanks for those 2 files (file and thread actually). Unfortunately I don't have speakers, only the PC speaker in the case at work AND I forgot my thumbdrive. I usually download something I see at work and bring it home that way. I have some stuff to setup at home with Download Accellerator, so I'll give it a shot as I'm home now.

Fordman, good luck to ya! Only 1 second to go, eh?
Quote from Fordman :Hi All,

First of all, Let me take back that comment about Americans etc etc. I have American family, it was ment as tounge in check, and I said it, as that was the answer I was expecting from Tweak. Hense why I hung around after posting, awaiting his reply.

On this note, may I add, that it is a proven fact ( In real life, Cambridge Univeristy studied it with our tax payers money ) different types of music make's you drive differently. I won't go into all the different Genre's of music, but you get the idea.

LOL I took it that way But to be honest, The bash the USA crap does get a bit old.

Isn't funny how colleges and Universities can get all this research money to
research most stuff any two digit IQ simpleton already knows? It'd be nice
if instead of using that grant money researching music/driving styles, cow farts and why poor people have bad health insurance, they'd - I dunno - Add that $$$ to CANCER research? or AIDS? or Alternative energy?

Oh and good luck with the WR
Quote from Fordman :Well some of you might be interested, some of you might not be. But in a thread, tweak said this
Quote :He is roughly 3 seconds off the world record with the XFR @ SOT, and IF he can get within at least a second of the world record, I'd consider the sounds as helping him and refer him as a reliable source

So I said, I see this as a challange. Well just to let you know, 5 laps in, and only 1 sec to find now

WR is by Vince at 1:19.930

Your time is 1:22.5, roughtly 2.5 secs to go sir (not 1 sec) Make sure you have backfire and brake squeal on, it gives that extra boost of speed.
Sound do make different, Im deaf LFS racer. im slow, lagging behind pack....
Quote from Tweaker :WR is by Vince at 1:19.930

Your time is 1:22.5, roughtly 2.5 secs to go sir (not 1 sec) Make sure you have backfire and brake squeal on, it gives that extra boost of speed.

Tweak, sorry haven;t up loaded the hotlap lap ( as this is what I was doing ) 1:21:16 and you said "Within 1 sec" There is no way I will get the WR, but to be within 1sec, is a major acheivement for me Did I tell you I found the NOS button and Neon Button also. These give you better Aerodynamics
Yucko!, if you don't have anything nice or useful to say, don't post.
Quote from SamH :Yucko!, if you don't have anything nice or useful to say, don't post.

..... or become a moderator....

All this sound stuff makes me wonder; Do y'all think the graphic improvements of S-2 over S-1 Has anything to do with WRs and PBs as well?
I know that with clear windshields now that you can see the other person's head move and That has helped me at least to anticipate what the other
person is thinking a little, but what about the overall results from the upgrading?

I hope I ain't going too off topic with this
Quote from Racer Y :..... or become a moderator....

All this sound stuff makes me wonder; Do y'all think the graphic improvements of S-2 over S-1 Has anything to do with WRs and PBs as well?
I know that with clear windshields now that you can see the other person's head move and That has helped me at least to anticipate what the other
person is thinking a little, but what about the overall results from the upgrading?

I hope I ain't going too off topic with this

At least for me graphic improvements in S2 has meant nothing or almost nothing, graphics in S1 were enough good already so no matter how great they become I really don't care, sound and other things are bit behind.

But for many graphics seem to be very very important, even more important than physics, maybe for them it can cause some improvement to times too.
However I think that sound in LFS specially can give better result.
I like Deggis' sample there. Good job!

I haven't read the whole thread so pardon me if I say something that is old news already. I'm not suprised really if somebody becomes faster with improved engine sound included. The immersion factor can really help a lot of people. Some of us would be faster that way, others not. I suspect for me it wouldn't make much difference since I'm quite a visually oriented driver, but who knows? I know in my sim it somehow feels different when I change sounds. Not the handling of course, but the general feeling and how I drive can be influenced a bit by that. When the engine is really knarly and beefy sounding I tend to operate the throttle a little differently (I get scared ).

Anyway, it wouldn't suprise me to see someone go faster with different sounds. Two seconds is quite a lot though. That is suprising.
JTW, yes I agree 2 secs ( and more now ) is alot. Maybe the concentration levels have been way off, maybe I could not be bothered, I don't know. All I know is, that night, and from now on, since I am using CSR, all of my times are dropping, across the board.

Now I can only put this down to the "immersion" factor of the superfical improvement of the sounds. As many have said, its the Immersion factor, its the WOW factor, its this its that. Me, I don;t care what it is, its making me faster "because I am enjoying it" simple.

At the start of this thread, all I asked was, "Has Anyone experienced the same effect " not everybody.

Fact stands, that my question has been answered, and by quiet a few respectable people.

Fordie
CSR is fantastic through my headphones, I can finally crank the sound all the way up. :eclipseehyeehaa!!!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG