The online racing simulator
Sequential Shifting Question
(13 posts, started )
I've just managed to watch 5mins of the GT Racing on Ch4 this morning before the kids wanted Noddy......

I'm a potential G25 user, so my question is when in sequential mode in the GT cars do you still use manual clutch, or do these cars have an auto clutch system when they change?

If its manual clutch, would it be similar to a motorcycle, where you can clutchless shift UP but need to clutch down?

As far as I know only the BF1 has an auto clutch system IRL.

Thanks (and patiently waiting)

Andrew
#2 - ajp71
I've only worked with one GT car with a sequential 'box but that did have a conventional racing clutch for starting but shifted completely clutchlessly. I think this is the norm for GT cars using sequential 'boxes. Unlike LFS though it could not flat up shift safely and either had the driver either had to lift off the throttle like in a manual or the car could be setup with an auto throttle cut on upshifts (which should really be enforced on all the sequential cars in LFS, particuarly the SS).
#3 - JTbo
Modern sequential boxes are connected to ECU and when you shift that will be registered in ECU and shift limiter is activated, for example if normally your limiter is 9000rpm, shift limiter can be 5000rpm at upshifts, in shifter there is switches to find out are you shifting up or down, some boxes do have electronic shifters just like in your pc wheel, also more advanced ECUs do throttle blips on downshifting, here servo throttle plate is of course needed, ie. you don't have traditional throttle cable, but throttle is operated completely by ECU.

In WRC cars they have usually electronic sifter on wheel and mechanical on floor, on some in car footage you can see this mechanical shifter moving when driver changes gear from steering wheel, gearbox handles all in these cars, driver just need to keep throttle floored.

There is also completely mechanical sequential boxes and with these there is no rpm limiters or such, but also with these no lifting is required, but blipping must be done manually to keep car stable, but gearbox take care of other parts of shifting.

Here is then some information of mechanics, it has some pictures too
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/sequential-gearbox.htm
So presumably LFS will support this kind of gear change accurately in the future?
#5 - JTbo
Quote from mrfell :So presumably LFS will support this kind of gear change accurately in the future?

All can be said is hopefully, it is actually quite easy to implement too, would not take more than 15mins of dev's time, but testing of it is taking much more time again, so we can only hope and wait
Does the same apply to the mtr5 fox and fo8?

Especially the mrt5, is that manual clutch with a shifter or sequential?
Quote from mrfell :Does the same apply to the mtr5 fox and fo8?

Especially the mrt5, is that manual clutch with a shifter or sequential?

Dunno about the others but im guessing the mrt5 would have a manual clutch because it uses a motorbike engine. and also because on the website it says this "The gear shifter and clutch pedal are mounted behind the steering wheel."
Quote from Turner89 :Dunno about the others but im guessing the mrt5 would have a manual clutch because it uses a motorbike engine. and also because on the website it says this "The gear shifter and clutch pedal are mounted behind the steering wheel."

That'll be a big hint then!!
YEP hehe!
Quote :Scawen says:

Don't worry, I am aware that the sequential boxes aren't right at the moment. In fact sequential gearboxes aren't simulated in LFS at all. The race car boxes all have neutrals between the gears, just like a road car - because they are using the same code. I have bike and a car so I have plenty of experience of both types, and they will be simulated properly.

You can see by the controls updates in the new patch, for the first time a difference has been introduced between the single seaters and the road cars. I could not update the physics side of it, because this is a compatible patch, preserving hotlaps and not dividing the community. One thing we haven't thought right through yet is which of the GTR cars should have sequential boxes as well.

I expect to start working soon on some gearbox updates and also the false starts system, and try and get several incompatible updates into the incomaptible version. By the way, it's not just the sequential boxes, I'm not really happy with how the road car boxes work either. I don't like the way you can put it in gear and later on press the clutch and it shifts for you. I'll be trying out some other ways of doing it. Unfortunately I can't actually kick the shifter out of its slot like a real car. But I think I could play a crunching noise and force the user to pull it back into neutral.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=159720#post159720
Interesting reading thanks!!
What about H patter clutchless shifting? (dogbox i think) If I recall correctly, BMW uses those in WTCC and used it in M3 GTR.
#13 - JTbo
Quote from Primoz :What about H patter clutchless shifting? (dogbox i think) If I recall correctly, BMW uses those in WTCC and used it in M3 GTR.

This is already in LFS, just turn clutch help off and don't use clutch when you shift, you need just match rpm to make shift succesfully, but there is no more advanced version of this where ecu sets shift limiter active when you shift.

Motorcycles do have sequential boxes (shifting is done moving toe up, toe down as you know), that reads also in howstuff works article that I linked earlier

Good quote deggis, clears lot of questions

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG