The online racing simulator
Logitech Formula Force EX problem
Hi guys,

First of all, i would like to thank the comunity for their support. I've never posted before, because all my problems regarding lfs were solved just by reading posts from other users. I think the community of lfs is one of the best gaming comunitys i've ever seen in years. There's always someone with a solution or some sort of encoragement or even some criticism to keep things going smoothly. So... a big thumbs up to you all .

Now to my problem.. A month ago i bought a logitech FF EX along with my S2 license, but i am a bit disapointed with the wheel.
My big question is, is it normal a wheel not be able to center on a straight?
I mean... It seems the wheel doesn't center properly. I've tried windows calibration as well as LFS calibration with the same results. When i grab the wheel and try to center it on a straight, it always moves a bit to the left and right (about 1 or 2 degrees to be more precise). When i turn the wheel it feels like it jumps from one side to another, doesn't feel like a continuous movement like a wheel should. I don't know if i'm making myself clear. My english is not the best around.
The most annoying thing is that it moves a little up and down also (i can tilt it a bit). Like if it was a little loose inside.
Maybe i've broken something inside? Nevertheless, it's a bit disapointing a month old wheel to brake so easy... I mean... i know this isn't the best wheel around, but hey... money doesn't grow on trees yet...

Since this is my first wheel, i don't know if this is normal or not. If it is, it sucks, cause it lacks lots of precision. The centering is the most important thing on any wheel. If i can't hold a straight line on track without constant corrections, i end up bumping cars around. I usually drive FXR, and as you know, straight speeds are over 250 Km/h, a little bump from another racer is all that it takes to crash badly.

If any of you guys had some similar problem or have some idea how to solve this i would apreciate some feedback.

Thanks again guys, and keep up the good work
I have the same wheel but haven't encountered this problem and I've tossed it around quite a bit with RBR.

Perhaps it's a version of the older wingman wheel problem where there is a slight bit of play between the potentiometer's axle and the wheel's central column? Try opening up the wheel and see if the potentiometer turns in accordance with your wheel, if there appears to be some slack try jamming something there to make the pot move with the wheel.

Also, for added central range precision you might want to try setting turn rate compensation to 1.0 - there was a subject about this not too much time ago in the forums, search for it.
Thanks mate... will try to do that . Don't really know what or where the potentiometer's axle and the wheel's central column are located (i guess they should be in the center duh) but will give it a go.

Btw i already had the turn rate compensation set to 1.0. Before i post, i searched the forum, but did not quite found the answer i was looking for maybe your advice will do the trick (let's hope it does).

Thanks
#4 - SamH
When driving on a straight, if you let go the wheel, does it turn right round, or does it wobble/rattle from side to side?
If i let go the wheel centered on a straight, the wheel does a little wobbling, but not from lock to lock. Just on those 1/2 degrees that i have no direct control. Btw, in those 1 or 2 degres i do not have FF.

Have not yet tried xaotik's advice since i'm on lunch break, but will try it later at night. Although i'm a little worried that opening the wheel will afect the warranty since it's "brand new".
Have you any further sugestions how to correct this?

All help or advice would be much apreciated.

Thanks guys
If it that new, don't open it, update the drivers, if you still have problems return it for a replacment!
Like i said, it's a month old (i think it can be branded as new). The drivers are updated. Including the wingman profiler with the V4.60.

Btw, replacement only happens if the equipment brakes down completely. What i mean is, to get a replacement wheel, first they need to figure out what it is wrong and what caused the malfunction of the wheel. That could take days (in Portugal, usually takes weeks don't ask me why illepall). Believe me, returning the wheel is the last thing i want to do. But if it comes to that, i have no choice. I'm really trying to avoid this since support for these kind of products are tricky.
Nope, don't return to logitech - return to place where bought, you are within your rights to get a replacement wheel on the spot there and then!
#9 - SamH
I'm not sure that'll be the case in ronny's country. Here in the UK, statutory rights give you 1 year of STORE warranty on new electrical goods. When you buy something from a shop, you don't have to deal with the manufacturer during that period. It's different in the US, for example, though.
Quote from SamH :I'm not sure that'll be the case in ronny's country. Here in the UK, statutory rights give you 1 year of STORE warranty on new electrical goods. When you buy something from a shop, you don't have to deal with the manufacturer during that period. It's different in the US, for example, though.

Different in the US yes, but that isn't UK law, it's EU law!
#11 - SamH
Quote from Thorvertonian :Different in the US yes, but that isn't UK law, it's EU law!

As I say.. I'm not sure.. but definitely the 1 year store warranty is UK law, and came into effect in the 70s.. long before we joined the European Union. Whether or not it's also reflected in European law I couldn't say
It most defintely is EU law, I have used this many times in the past! It may well be UK law as well, but I have always quoted the EU law in the past...
Ok guys, i've opened the wheel (praying that nothing would brake in the process) and found out that there is no slack when i turn it.
What i find "interesting" though is that the column (or arm, don't know how it should be called) of the wheel seems to be a little loose. I mean.. it jerks up and down a bit. Is that normal?
Another anoying fact that i realized this night, is that after calibrating the wheel in LFS, if i press the acelerator pedal, the wheel turns +/- 20º to the left... ok... new problem...
Quite disapointed really, so I'm going to the store this weekend and talk to someone about this and see if they can replace the wheel.
I am a little upset, because when i bought this wheel, there was a FF Wingman GP for the same price, but i chose this one because it seemed more sturdy and had more buttons. Just plain bad luck i guess.
I apreciate all your help and efforts guys.

Note: The portuguese law is a little different from UK law. We have a 2 year warranty for every equipament bought, but, the store is only forced to replace or refund the damaged item until the 8º day after the purchase. After that, the store chooses to repair the item or replace/refund it (usually they ship it for repair since it's cheaper).

Btw, Thorvertonian... when i was talking about weeks of wainting for the wheel to be repaired, i was talking about sending it to the store and not to logitech (i don't know why, but when something needs repair, it has to be done in the capital city of Portugal, a.k.a. Lisbon. Stupid thing really, but it's true).
Just to let u know that the wheel has surrendered his/her soul to the creator. It broke... completly. I mean... Does not connect at all. No light, no steering, no FF... simply died... but the good news is... i went to the store and they asked me if i wanted a new one. Of course i said yes, but... this time for a little extra money i ordered a DFP , so... let's see how it goes.
I'm only getting it this weekend but i am quite anxious to test it. I don't have money for the new G25 so i guess this is the next best thing (the momo was a bit more expensive so i chose the DFP) .

Thanks again for all the help and hope to see u soon racing
I just searched this thread out due to the same problem. The advices here where rather radical - replace that f***ing sh1t.

but I think 1st - the mechanical issue (loose axis-potentiometer). When repaired then 2nd - recalibrate controller - I recallibrated it from control panel but it occured that it was not callibrated properly in LFS. So when I tried to put have wheel straight the FF responded with forces hence the wobbling. So recallibration removes the problem of it.
I have this wheel aswell and i cant center it aswell.
I redo the settings and center it then when i steer to roughly it isnt centered anymore.
But i didnt had problems the last few times i used it and thats a long time ago.
And i cant test it now because im on vacation
I have Logitech Fomrula force GP and the wheel you have is a replacement for that wheel in Logitech line of wheels.

Mine is doing the same from start and got even worst after a time.To be honest this is not a bug but a feature.You know its cheap wheel .

I know its very annoying when driving
works now
is MOMO racing better than formula or this problem is on MOMO????

i have formula and same problem !!
Quote from Hamed Sam :is MOMO racing better than formula or this problem is on MOMO????

i have formula and same problem !!

why do people look at MOMO when it costs sometimes even more then DFP?
I mean - here in Latvia you get DFP for $130-$140
momo $140-$160
Quote from squidhead :why do people look at MOMO when it costs sometimes even more then DFP?
I mean - here in Latvia you get DFP for $130-$140
momo $140-$160

DFP ia better than MOMO ??!!!!!!!!!!!!
sorry again !! is MOMO racing better than formula or this problem is on MOMO????
Quote from Hamed Sam :DFP ia better than MOMO ??!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ofcourse it is! You get 900 deegree lock comparde to MOMO's 240

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG