The online racing simulator
LFS Custom Car "Contest" WIPs
(180 posts, started )
me in the le mans car. :bananadea
Some nice work here! Really like the prototype ramtech

How about a Toms Toyota 84C to accompany it?

Regards,

Ian
whoa. Ian lives and posts - 11 times in the last few days no less.

The Return of Ian.H: Ian.H strikes back with Vengeance?

Btw nice model Ian
must be putting that in rfactor?
if so, there are tons of polys that you can take out that will have no effect on shape, also, i suggest that if you are going to put that in rfactor that you look at how low poly modelers model the fenders with lines that turn into tri's to make it more round, and save a ton of polys
and im a little unsure about that area just infront of the front fender, it looks.. odd
Thanks TAA

XCN: No idea what I'm doing with it yet.. that was a spur of the moment "I'll give this a shot" and so far the result of 2 hours work.. I know there's a lot of refining to do and there's a few vertices on the front that need to be shifted back to follow the curvature more.

As for polys.. there's nothing wrong with the count. There's not even 2000 polys! and if this does end up in a game, polycount isn't an initial issue.. LODs are _far_ more important.. but thank you Mr. Expert.

Regards,

Ian
2000 is alot compared to what it could be lol, you could easily cut that in half without any visual changes in it

your lines that go from the center to the fender (especially looking at those 4 lines) should go like this:

|
/\

not: | | | |

also, what are you working with, it almost looks like C4D
Granted, it could be less.. but the only optimisation I've done at this point was to reduce the number of polys inside the wheelarches.. the mesh isn't even welded together yet (currently just a group of left / right / spolier meshes). I still have detail to cut / add to it.

What happens when I come to detail the sides now that I've just chopped my nice vertical guides away and have diagonals instead if I go by your optimisation idea on the side? Remember this is low-poly.. I have to think / be careful when using the likes of boolean tools to cut holes in things for detail. That's also the reason the bottom of the front where it wraps around is like it is as the small "box" kinda shape roughly maps out where I'll extrude a section inwards to create a box area to mount some 3D lights

This is only the 2nd car I've ever tried to model to.. the last one was in September and never completed.

I'm doing it all in 3DS v7 in poly mode so far.. that pic's just a scanline render with a cloned set of meshes set to wireframe with a push modifier to render the mesh lines.

Regards,

Ian
boolean? i wouldnt be touching boolean on low poly objects, then you end up with a mess that you have to clean up when you could easily just cut it up yourself and save about an hours work, here.. this may help you:

okay.. well im having trouble spotting a low poly model to show for this instance, but nnothing needs to become diagonal.. all you have to do is weld edges that you have near each other, where they dont need to be seperate, specifically the 4 or so lines that come together can be turned into 2 or 1 depending where they are, and then become triangles where they are on the fender

no point in wasting polys that you dont need, and could put elsewhere like.. on the wheels where everyone wants them lol

edit
voila, heres an example, check out the rear fender, this is what im talking about here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/at ... nt.php?attachmentid=92801
Dude.. boolean tools work fine. All of the holes in the front of this were done with boolean tools with minimal tidying work (and I really had no idea what I was doing when I did this, didn't even know what boolean tools were before I needed them for the holes) This body contains less than 1,800 polys:

If I weld edges that are near to each other, I'm losing definition for things The side of the model was done deliberately that way to follow the contours of the car. Bear in mind that the XRT body is 9,500+ polys IIRC (albeit interior included) as an example. I'm all for optimisation, but I want it as detailed as I can... but I haven't even started with this yet.. this is 2 hours work and just the basic shape

Over optimise.. and things become rather boxy

I can't see that attachment btw.. not registered on their forum.

Regards,

Ian
M1 looks pretty sweet

lol like the generally car haha

here, i uploaded the picture
Attached images
integ_04_wire.jpg
Ahh that looks more like the mesh of my M1 in regards to \|/ style edges from the centre of the wheelarches etc. What you were saying makes more sense now, I was thinking you were refering to the few vertical edges where the door would be.. oops!

This will be optimised yup as I'll weld the vertices on the inside edge of the wheel arches at the top which'll create something that'll look more like the pic you uploaded (thanks for that.. an Integra possibly?).

The bonnet needs some definition too.. from the very few resource pics I found, it seems it's a less smooth transition from top of front wings to bonnet area which'll also probably mean a chance to optimise the bonnet a bit too. The rear needs some work for definite. There's a distinctive line across the top atm and vertices are probably around 5-10mm apart so I'll be welding some bits up there too.

If the entire car (less wheels) is done in under 9000 polys I'll be happy

Regards,

Ian

PS: The GeneRally car is ingame and quite funny to see
Ian, have you try the MultiRes modifier? it can reduce you objects polygons to a specific poly counts you want. Sometimes it works well, I used it on LOD set up when I have made a Hi-res model. (for example, Hi-res model when is in foreground, change to lower res at middle and reduce to lowest res in background) But I am not suggesting this is how people should model a low poly car, this is just an alternative to reduce your model's poly in a quick way. The result could be different to what you wanted.
Quote from samyip :Ian, have you try the MultiRes modifier? it can reduce you objects polygons to a specific poly counts you want. Sometimes it works well, I used it on LOD set up when I have made a Hi-res model. (for example, Hi-res model when is in foreground, change to lower res at middle and reduce to lowest res in background) But I am not suggesting this is how people should model a low poly car, this is just an alternative to reduce your model's poly in a quick way. The result could be different to what you wanted.

Ahh nope, not looked at that modifier but do have a plugin called 'Polycruncher' which sounds like it does the same thing.. can either enter a value for number of polys I want or use a slider bar to adjust which also works "live" in the viewports to see the results. I'll be using this initially to create LODs for things and then make manual tweaks after as it can pretty much destroy a mesh if used OTT it seems, heh. LODs for this would probably be something like 2,500, 1,800, 1,500 and <= 1,000 polys (roughly) but I've never made LODs for anything yet, so will be an interesting learning curve to try and do it right.. especially keeping the mapping "perfectly" intact once I've mapped it

Regards,

Ian
hmm.. XCNuse, in all the tutorials i've read, they all said there SHOULDNT be any triangles in my poly model.. only quadrangles.. maybe thats what's messing up all my models?
depends on how your modeling

low poly modeling, without triangles your just .. making it harder for yourself and probably exponentially increasing the amount of polys

high poly modeling, there are cases where triangles are needed (such as an edge which is being chamfered, that would be a case where a triangle is needed [and trust me.. its needed, not really an option, otherwise you will get a big inward bump]) but .. thats the only time you will have to have a triangle (that i have noticed so far)
hmm, seems I used some triangular polys this time without realising as such.. it just made sense as I went.. maybe due to rounded wheel arches rather than squared off at the tops:

Think for me it also depends on how closely I'm following / preparing for body lines etc too as I go rather than making so many cuts later when adding detail. These are the only cars I've tried to model so far though so still learning too

I checked lo's cobra earlier.. the high detail exterior body LOD sits at ~6,300 polys and I get no FPS issues even on my medium-spec'd box.. so I should be ok with these for games

Regards,

Ian
nice man, keep up the good work
im currently way too busy to make car models.. damn university
lol don't ya hate it when real life stuff gets in the way of the important things?

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Ian.H :lol don't ya hate it when real life stuff gets in the way of the important things?

Regards,

Ian

totally
Quote from Ian.H :lol don't ya hate it when real life stuff gets in the way of the important things?

Regards,

Ian

Amen to that, sitting here doing assignments, much rather be racing or rendering
Uhm, perhaps I can be of some assistance... I am not free to model right now... I got some work... but in my days I made a couple of concepts (no existing cars copied), here are the pics...
I am not pro, but a real modeler can fix bugs and errors in a matter of hours....or that I was told

a hot rod (drag racer) and a light Mid engined concept I called GT... (audi v6 in the back) engine modeled.
An old school V8 supercharged Engine (perhaps will come in handy)
and...ehm...also I had this concept for some time, unfinished...but I will take it and finish, if you find it interesting
Also, sorry for the screens, quality and lack of details on them, I couldnt find time to make new renders...
so tell me if youre interested

Edit: Oh, and the wireframes will be posted later, if interested =)
Attached images
Hot Rod and GT.jpg
Hot Rod.jpg
GT Engine.jpg
Hot Rod Inside.jpg
V8 muscle.jpg
Unfinished1.jpg
Unfinished Engine.jpg
Unfinished inside.jpg
Quote from squidhead :Uhm, perhaps I can be of some assistance... I am not free to model right now... I got some work... but in my days I made a couple of concepts (no existing cars copied), here are the pics...
I am not pro, but a real modeler can fix bugs and errors in a matter of hours....or that I was told

a hot rod (drag racer) and a light Mid engined concept I called GT... (audi v6 in the back) engine modeled.
An old school V8 supercharged Engine (perhaps will come in handy)
and...ehm...also I had this concept for some time, unfinished...but I will take it and finish, if you find it interesting
Also, sorry for the screens, quality and lack of details on them, I couldnt find time to make new renders...
so tell me if youre interested

Edit: Oh, and the wireframes will be posted later, if interested =)

Zanoza Modeler was back in the days of MM2. And what days they were. I would really like to learn stuff in Vray but I need to start with basics again, something about how to make a ball, thne how to make a brick, then how to make glass etc, detailed explenations because I have not done anything like so in years, any links people?

Thanks,

Wolfy
first attempt at modeling a car
Hey guys, decided to kill two birds with one stone by signing up here and getting into 3D modeling at the same time, so this is what I have so far :

Not a high quality render, so it doesn't really look that noisy. Something about the way the diagrams are set up looks strange too.
Expect an update!

LFS Custom Car "Contest" WIPs
(180 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG