The online racing simulator
Advice for a beginner
(20 posts, started )
#1 - osen
Advice for a beginner
Hello

I've been racing the DEMO for a while and I really got hooked. Did a LOT of laps on Blackwood with the GTI and my PB was around 1.33.8x. Really fun and I really felt that I could keep up with most of the racers

So I bought a new wheel (Logitech MOMO) and purchased a S2 license... and it's really boring? Almost no servers at all? What are you supposed to do? Join teams and get acces to private servers? What am I missing?

Also, I bet this has been repeated millions of times, but I can't find any good information about it: What is the "best" way to start learning the new cars and tracks? What cars are the most popular and what tracks? I appriciate any advice, thanks.

I'm really that kind of person who just uses one car and race one track until near perfection (and then keep racing that combo because I can't race anything else lol illepall). I want to change that Please give me some advice as how to start racing serious.

Seems to be a great community and I hope to get more into it

/osen
use the fxo gtr or the xf gtr there use to use dont know about tracks tho.
go to lfsworld.net and you will find all sorts of statistics on the most used cars and tracks, as well as all of your personal best times on each track with each car. there is also a graph that shows when the most users are online.
Quote from osen :So I bought a new wheel (Logitech MOMO) and purchased a S2 license... and it's really boring? Almost no servers at all? What are you supposed to do? Join teams and get acces to private servers? What am I missing?

No, there are quite a lot of servers actually. The peak is usually between 7 and 11 pm CET, I would say. You can find at least 20 servers with more than 10 people on them most of the time. Most likely, you have a filter on. The one on the right has to be on "all", or you only see the servers with one car class.

Quote :Also, I bet this has been repeated millions of times, but I can't find any good information about it: What is the "best" way to start learning the new cars and tracks? What cars are the most popular and what tracks? I appriciate any advice, thanks.

Well, most popular are Aston National with the big GTRs and Blackwood and Aston Club with the FOX. But that doesnt mean, that these are the "best" combos. Its only very likely, that you will find at least one server with these combos running all the time. Its just personal preference, which combos you like more or less. I would suggest starting with FOX. Its a popular car and probably the easiest car to control (which doesnt mean being fast with it ). But if you dont mind slow cars or dont like single-seaters, UF1 is also a good choice. You can start with it and just take the next step to the next faster class, when you feel comfortable with it.
#5 - osen
Thanks for all the replies!

Quote from zeugnimod :I would suggest starting with FOX. Its a popular car and probably the easiest car to control (which doesnt mean being fast with it ). But if you dont mind slow cars or dont like single-seaters, UF1 is also a good choice. You can start with it and just take the next step to the next faster class, when you feel comfortable with it.

Yeah, I've been trying the FXO a little bit and it seems to be a good start. The UF1 is a little to slow for my taste The XFG is fine though, maby I should keep racing with it and learn the new tracks that way.

Thanks!
#6 - SamH
Quote from zeugnimod :I would suggest starting with FOX. Its a popular car and probably the easiest car to control (which doesnt mean being fast with it ).

Quote from osen :Yeah, I've been trying the FXO a little bit and it seems to be a good start.

Thought I'd better point out that the FOX is the Formula XR single-seater, open-wheeled car, and not the FXO - which looks like a Holden, or a Vauxhall/Opel Astra.

It will take a while to get familiar with all the different 3-letter descriptors, but you'll soon be up to speed

And welcome to LFS S2, by the way

On the subject of servers, you should be able to see 400+ servers. Not all of those will be populated. Of the drivers, most (~400) are online at around 7-8pm GMT, and racing is quietest (~50 drivers) at about 6-7am GMT.
#7 - osen
Quote from SamH :Thought I'd better point out that the FOX is the Formula XR single-seater, open-wheeled car, and not the FXO - which looks like a Holden, or a Vauxhall/Opel Astra.

It will take a while to get familiar with all the different 3-letter descriptors, but you'll soon be up to speed

And welcome to LFS S2, by the way

On the subject of servers, you should be able to see 400+ servers. Not all of those will be populated. Of the drivers, most (~400) are online at around 7-8pm GMT, and racing is quietest (~50 drivers) at about 6-7am GMT.

Ah, thats right Thanks for the welcome
Quote from osen :Hello

I've been racing the DEMO for a while and I really got hooked. Did a LOT of laps on Blackwood with the GTI and my PB was around 1.33.8x. Really fun and I really felt that I could keep up with most of the racers

So I bought a new wheel (Logitech MOMO) and purchased a S2 license... and it's really boring? Almost no servers at all? What are you supposed to do? Join teams and get acces to private servers? What am I missing?

Also, I bet this has been repeated millions of times, but I can't find any good information about it: What is the "best" way to start learning the new cars and tracks? What cars are the most popular and what tracks? I appriciate any advice, thanks.

I'm really that kind of person who just uses one car and race one track until near perfection (and then keep racing that combo because I can't race anything else lol illepall). I want to change that Please give me some advice as how to start racing serious.

Seems to be a great community and I hope to get more into it

/osen

Hi Osen !

Are you familliar with the swedish "clan" SDRA. You can find them at www.sdra.se

Maby something for you
#9 - th84
the way I practise a new car or track is: just join a server, pick a car and then drive carfully, keeping an eye on the minimap so I'm sure I wont be in the way of the more experienced racers. (shift S if you mess up and you'll return to the pits)
When a new race starts, I get out of the way, because all the others are probably better then I am. Dont wait for them to pass, but accellerate like all the others do, and THEN drive on the utmost left or right side and lift. If you just wait at the start some of the others will run into you.
After a few races Ill ask if I can try somebodies setup. Usually I get 1 or 2, and try them for a few races.

Dont expect to win the first few days.. that takes a lot longer
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Didnt't you click the link in the post after the one, you quoted?
I just got S2 today and had my first bash today. I'ts fantastic. Mostly been figuing out my setups which took some time!

I'm now just twiddling my thumbs until i get my Momo which i bought off of ebay.
-
Oh, should have thought about it.

Actually, that sounds like a very reasonable thing to do.
-
#15 - th84
ROFL! Screw you guy's...im going home.
One time I saw a blue flag, so I slowed down a bit and then the guy rear ended me, and then I was banned from the server.

Now every time I see a blue flag I get so nervous, that I wipe out. Every goddamn time.

This happen to anybody else?
#17 - SamH
Yeah, it happens to one of the guys on our SSR team (we have two teams in UKCT, SSR and CTR).. he panics whenever a car comes up behind him, and he crashes either into them or into the nearest tyrewall. He's very embarassed about it, so I won't mention Martyn's name
Quote from silver bullet :One time I saw a blue flag, so I slowed down a bit and then the guy rear ended me, and then I was banned from the server.

Now every time I see a blue flag I get so nervous, that I wipe out. Every goddamn time.

This happen to anybody else?

blue flag doesnt mean you gotta slow down, it means let the faster car pass where its possible, without holding him up significantly. watch ur mirrors, or the minimap, and prepare to let him pass. if hes close, move from the ideal racing line, and brake. never brake before moving from the racing line, cuz it could end up with a crash btw, blue flag is a lot more complicated, but its roughly what i wrote.
Quote from RevengeR :blue flag doesnt mean you gotta slow down, it means let the faster car pass where its possible, without holding him up significantly. watch ur mirrors, or the minimap, and prepare to let him pass. if hes close, move from the ideal racing line, and brake. never brake before moving from the racing line, cuz it could end up with a crash btw, blue flag is a lot more complicated, but its roughly what i wrote.

good advice m8, just the other day i had a slight problem, i was blue flagged so i followed that procedure (i braked slightly late so that i would take the outside of T1 on aston club) and i let the 2nd place car through with no hastle. but my problems started there. i was much faster than the 2nd place driver and i kept catching up with him. so i would drop back about 75m and within a corner or two i was right behind this guy, i was not worried about this as i was a lap down and a podium was not possible. but what made me laugh was that at the end of the race the guy asked me if i knew what a blue flag was and that i should follow it. i went on to tell him that i let him pass and that a blue flag is only issued when the car behind is 1 or more laps ahead, not when i am following at a faster pace. this was new to the guy but at the end we both laughed it off. i always try to follow the flag system in place on lfs (even though i sometimes feel it is not localised enough).
but if you treat lappees as you would like to be lapped then all should be well

happy hunting
Quote from RevengeR :blue flag doesnt mean you gotta slow down, it means let the faster car pass where its possible, without holding him up significantly. watch ur mirrors, or the minimap, and prepare to let him pass. if hes close, move from the ideal racing line, and brake. never brake before moving from the racing line, cuz it could end up with a crash btw, blue flag is a lot more complicated, but its roughly what i wrote.

No! Don't brake! If you're on a straight, he might have followed you off the racing line to use your slipstream... Only let off the throttle when he is besides you to make it easier to pass you... That's for a straight...

If he's coming close near a turn and you want him to pass in the braking zone, move away of the ideal line and brake early into the corner, allowing him to take the ideal line and get by you with the speed difference... This can be very risky especially if you don't know each other ('s driving)... So I advise you to do the third as often as possible:

Brake normal for the corner, but hang onto the outer side of the turn, allowing the faster driver to get by on the inside... It's the technique which is least risky (because it's pretendable) and both will lose the least time doing this...

One more thing: Never ever let someone pass you in a chicane... It's just not enough room to do that, and even if he gets by, you WILL be a roadblock for everyone closing up in the exit because you had to slow down so much...

Advice for a beginner
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG