The online racing simulator
Deformable tyrewalls
(23 posts, started )
Deformable tyrewalls
Hi, what i would like to see in a next big patch or something like that, deformable tyrwalls: so if u crash into them they'll get another shape and stay in that condition

Greetz, Kevin
(ill guess this well be a -1 thread )
+1 for really blowable tyres
+1 for defects in tyres
+1 for moaning and bitching about tyre legality (lol)
Well, not -1.

But I think, there are many better and more important things to do than eye-candy.
i don't see it as eye-candy, just to have the feeling that u really hit a tyrwall instead of now: they are like walls to me
You know, IRL some of those "tyre"walls are filled with concrete
lol, but in LFS u CLEARLY can see that these are filled with tyres or r they concrete tyres?
There is deformation if you look, just visual

+1 for blowing
+1 for tyre stress stuff
+111111 for engine temp ...
He's talking about tyre-walls. You know, the stacks of tyres. Near a wall. Not the sidewalls of a tyre.
For that to work, would it not be needed to first have energy absorbtion implemented?
Quote from Nick_ll :For that to work, would it not be needed to first have energy absorbtion implemented?

Yes, which would single handedly reduce the (rare, I can't remember the last time it happened. Oh yes I can, SO Town Rev in the XFG I think, on the fast uphill, over a crest and down to the left-right-right bit. Touch a wall on the left and you go miles!) flying car syndrome.
Ya but what would happen if there was a deformable tire wall and no energy absorbtion? The wall deforming, coming back and throwing your car away?
Quote from Nick_ll :Ya but what would happen if there was a deformable tire wall and no energy absorbtion? The wall deforming, coming back and throwing your car away?

Yes, that's exatly it. If you drop something on an ideal (absolutely NO damping) spring, it will simply bounce the object back and energize it with as much kinetic energy as there was potential energy in the deeformed spring. This assumes that there's no air resistance, of course, but the results are still the same: bounce.

What LFS needs is to implement some damping forces to the walls. The worst case in LFS os the walls at the pit area. They seem to be modelled as VERY stiff springs with minimal/no damping. If you've ever tried colliding ANY car into those walls at ANY speed, it'll simply bounce of and spin like mad, even at 10KPH.

When was the last time some car hit a strong and solid brick wall at 10kph and at a 30 degree angle and bounce off spinning like mad?

BTW, +1 for poperly behaving tire walls.
+1 for really blowable tyres
+1 for defects in tyres
+1 for moaning and bitching about tyre legality
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1
-1 for wasting time on all that wall deformation stuff (that's not going to fix the collision weirdness)

+1 for fixing collision detection, so intersecting objects, especially a tyre contact point intersecting a wall, do not generate insane forces. Best method would IMO be to store the last few physics states of the car all the time, and incase of a object intersection you can look at these states and extrapolate the impact force from them, instead of taking the amount of object overlap.
Couldnt care less about deforming tyre walls (I care more about the alleged 'eye candy' of visualised tyre damage on my own car).

The collision system atm is the wrong approach, imho, it uses 3d intersection to determine collision velocity. It should be a mathematical calculation of mass, speed and angle of impact etc. On this point Scawen and I will continue to disagree until cars stop joining the NASA space programme.
Quote from Jamexing :Yes, that's exatly it. If you drop something on an ideal (absolutely NO damping) spring, it will simply bounce the object back and energize it with as much kinetic energy as there was potential energy in the deeformed spring. This assumes that there's no air resistance, of course, but the results are still the same: bounce.

What LFS needs is to implement some damping forces to the walls. The worst case in LFS os the walls at the pit area. They seem to be modelled as VERY stiff springs with minimal/no damping. If you've ever tried colliding ANY car into those walls at ANY speed, it'll simply bounce of and spin like mad, even at 10KPH.

When was the last time some car hit a strong and solid brick wall at 10kph and at a 30 degree angle and bounce off spinning like mad?

BTW, +1 for poperly behaving tire walls.

I actually believe it's the car that should absorb most of the impact. This is where energy absorbtion is needed.
The walls as you say just need some damper physics in cases where it applies like tire walls, but the cars need to actually absorb impacts and deform/loose parts.
+1 kazillion for drive train and gear box / shift sound.
+1 for flying cars syndrom.

first on track physics, then offtrack physics.
and then if all this is done ambient physics.
its like asking for animated pit crews.
+1 animated pit crews ...
... please tell me that that is not a hamster "driving" that dragster car...
Quote from Nick_ll :I actually believe it's the car that should absorb most of the impact. This is where energy absorbtion is needed.
The walls as you say just need some damper physics in cases where it applies like tire walls, but the cars need to actually absorb impacts and deform/loose parts.

Actually, both need better energy absorbtion. And in RL engineering terms, concrete walls aren't quite as rigid as they seem to the average joe. Hit them hard enough and they'll crack/flack, absorbing some of the energy.

Honestly, simulating cracking/flaking walls is a bit OTT for a driving sim, but as you've also said, Nick II, damping physics would go a long way to approximating RL behavior.
Sorry but I give a -1, I'm up for eye candy, but processing power is a valuable resource, and it can be used in other areas (Transmission, Brakes, Engine...)

Quote from Eldanor :Sorry but I give a -1, I'm up for eye candy, but processing power is a valuable resource, and it can be used in other areas (Transmission, Brakes, Engine...)

We're trying to stop flying/spinning like mad after low speed collision into the wall syndrome, nothing more and nothing less.
thank you!!

Deformable tyrewalls
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG