The online racing simulator
Why not more tracks?
(79 posts, started )
#28 - Jakg
Quote from BigDave2967 :Ok thanks for the info.

basically, instead of it coming with anything good by default - you need to spend a couple of hours on RSC (that is before the rTractor page even loads!) trying to find some "stuff" for it, only to realise that the LFS physics are better. Oh what fun!
Quote from Jakg :basically, instead of it coming with anything good by default - you need to spend a couple of hours on RSC (that is before the rTractor page even loads!) trying to find some "stuff" for it, only to realise that the LFS physics are better. Oh what fun!

http://www.rfactorcentral.com
#30 - axus
Quote from Speed Soro :I want more tracks. Simples as that.

6 tracks is not enough. We have got championships here, with always the same 6 tracks...

I don't think there are something wrong with any corner. Straight, brake, curve is what any track is. Except of course the boring ovals.

Each curve, each corner, you do how you can, so, if must to reduce your speed, just do it. There are nothing wrong. The tracks are waht they are.

What we need is more variation, more tracks we different look, different chalenge.

We don't need a new Fern Bay or a new Black wood, but new tracks.

And ok, it must not be easy to do, but it is not impossible.

And why not open the track modeling to a selected team of colaborators?

I'm here not criticizing nobody, but just asking, WHY NOT MORE TRACKS?

ZzZzzZZzZ

You're speaking for everyone here, aren't you? For one, I'd love a revised Fern Bay beacuse its just such an awesome track for the driver but it makes you squint because its so ugly right now. For sure, I'd like more tracks but have you learnt Kyoto, Westhill and Aston with the GTR's (ie, max about 2s off the pace)? Or Aston North, South City and Fern Bay with the LX's? Or Blackwood with the XFR and UFR? Or mastered the Formula V8 which is probably suited to more tracks than any other car in LFS at the moment? And those are just my favourite combos off the top of my head. There are many great ones that I haven't even driven.

Would you like half-arsed enviroments like that new version of Barcelona in GTR2 where you can't find the same brake point for two laps in a row on half the corners? I'd prefer fewer environments but ones where I can race consistently and enjoy it and most LFS tracks do a great job of this for me. As I understand it, Kyoto improvements are already in the pipeline for the next patch. Westhill is also a bit dead at the moment - I'd like to see it come to life because I think it would be about 10x as brilliant as it is (in a fast car) with a proper environment. There's so many things to use as reference for braking and turn-in at South City, Aston and Blackwood.... and Fern Bay too, but its just feeling its age. Fern Bay has some of the best corner sequences ever, please don't let it die. Honestly, I think Eric should just finish the current environments before starting any new ones. Throw good interiors in and then get cracking on whatever other tracks for S3 (*cough*ortherallypack*cough*). I'm sure many share my oppinion of the need for tracks to be properly made.
As a fantasy dream with LFS Physics, I'd love to try out Monaco on the BF1. Just imagine how much that track would be used for championships
Quote from BigDave2967 :As a fantasy dream with LFS Physics, I'd love to try out Monaco on the BF1. Just imagine how much that track would be used for championships

2nd corner wicked.....
If you have not tried the 2005 f1 mod and the Bahrain International track, do yourslef the favor.

LfS phsic... are better, but still-......
Quote from ruckus37 :If you have not tried the 2005 f1 mod and the Bahrain International track, do yourslef the favor.

LfS phsic... are better, but still-......

Don't have rfactor, LFS got me hooked
Quote from deggis :In overall LFS just needs more slow and sharp corners

Oh God, please don't turn LFS into an FIA-Track-Sim. In general, I hate slow sharp corners. They destroy the flow of a race track. You CAN have a technically challenging track without having stupid slow corners.

I just want a Mosport-esque track in LFS. That's it. Just that, and I will be happy. The current LFS tracks are too flat for my tastes; I like heart-stopping elevation changes, high speeds and flowing tracks. Not flat stop-and-go tracks.
Quote from BigDave2967 :Don't have rfactor, LFS got me hooked

Dave no doubt LFS is better with Physics, out of bounds (grass and sand etc) but rfactor does have the veriaty you are looking for.
Quote from MAGGOT :Oh God, please don't turn LFS into an FIA-Track-Sim. In general, I hate slow sharp corners. They destroy the flow of a race track. You CAN have a technically challenging track without having stupid slow corners.

I just want a Mosport-esque track in LFS. That's it. Just that, and I will be happy. The current LFS tracks are too flat for my tastes; I like heart-stopping elevation changes, high speeds and flowing tracks. Not flat stop-and-go tracks.

Monaco
#38 - axus
Quote from MAGGOT :You CAN have a technically challenging track without having stupid slow corners.

Agreed - Westhill is a great example of this (especially in reverse), and so is Kyoto GP Long. Assuming that you have a fast car, that is. Aston's pretty good for a high speed track in some configs too. I think we just need more bumps to make racing on the limit a bit more interesting.

That statement reminds me of a shit tv show called "Sweet 16". They WANT something, then they get it then they want more... illepall
Quote from ruckus37 :Monaco

Huh? Are you saying Monaco is a fast flowing track?

Or, did you mean Monaco is an exciting track with sharp corners? I agree with you there. Like I said "In general" I don't like sharp corners. There are exceptions, of course.
#41 - Jakg
Quote from MAGGOT :I like heart-stopping elevation changes, high speeds and flowing tracks. Not flat stop-and-go tracks.

i want something like the 'ring (WAIT on the flaming!)

What i mean is that STYLE, with the rather large changes in elevation (of course i want slightly more kerbing!), which uses the force of gravity to shoot your car into a corner
Quote from MAGGOT :Huh? Are you saying Monaco is a fast flowing track?

Or, did you mean Monaco is an exciting track with sharp corners? I agree with you there. Like I said "In general" I don't like sharp corners. There are exceptions, of course.

yep: Monaco is an exciting track with sharp corners ..
Quote from Lible :please don't make it a race circuit, like you did with Blackwood.

http://www.marcls-home.de/file ... onid=13&p13_fileid=59

Quote from MAGGOT :Oh God, please don't turn LFS into an FIA-Track-Sim. In general, I hate slow sharp corners. They destroy the flow of a race track. You CAN have a technically challenging track without having stupid slow corners.

I didn't mean I'd like to have tilkenized tracks (= destroyed by Hermann Tilke ). With sharper I mostly meant tighter turns, take a look at Aston for example, the corners are simply too wide and too smooth. It's like an airfield.

And there are no "slow" chicanes in LFS at all. E.g. the ones in KY GP are clearly meant to be slow chicanes but you can just ram over the curbs which is so damn annoying, stupid and unrealistic.
Quote from deggis :And there no "slow" chicanes in LFS at all. E.g. the ones in KY GP are clearly meant to be slow chicanes but you can just ram over the curbs which is so damn annoying, stupid and unrealistic.

yeah, we need some slow chicanes to add to the mix of the already present corner collection in LFS. I mean lfs has chicanes but they are or can be all taken flat out. Fern bay has a few but you can just throw the car in without descreasing speed by much. I quite like what they did with the Bus stop at Spa. It use to be a fast chicane but they changed it and made it a lot longer so now cars are forced to reduce speed drastically and take the chicane properly..

+1 for Chicanes

6 tracks is not enough. We have got championships here, with always the same 6 tracks...

Thats the poorest excuse I've ever came across. Most real life championships go to the same tracks time after time after time, every so often they introduce a new one but in a whole a lot of them go to the same tracks.

LFS has more than 6 tracks, I define a track as including all the different layouts as in the end they are different layouts.

With a bit of imagination I don't think it's to hard to come up with a championship with different tracks each season...
I like mosport, flows like fine wine and gives you nosebleeds with the elevation changes

John
I'd love to do some tracks for LFS lol, i'm one of the few remaining track creators for nascar 2003 (i focus on road corses) and i just dont get much response from it, but my diehard road course fans love them, they would be just increadible in LFS :-p
Let me put something together real quick and see if you can agree or disagree with this.

Westhill, only has 2 configurations and that's regular and reverse. I concider regular and reverse configs not different layouts. Another track that we have that is only reg and reverse configs is Blackwood.

So, we have Kyoto. Folks complain that we only have 6 tracks and run the same ones over and over again. They also complain that you can't count the different layouts for each track because they are all the same. In Kyoto you have oval, National, and GP Long. Not a one of those are similar. They all drive completely different and only share a portion of the oval with each other.

So now we have 5, BL1, WE1, KY1, KY2, and KY3. We move to Aston. National seems to be the easiest and most frequently used track in mostly GTR's and FOX. Then you move to Club, a really nice short track usually run in XFR or FOX, but I've had some really nice racing in the big GTR's there. Nothing like National where it only shares a short section of the front stretch. The final chicane is nothing alike for these to layouts since you enter it in club completely different. I was never fond of Historic, and it does share much of the newer config I do like, which is North. This track starts at Club, moves into the reversed back section of Historic and down the corkscrew, and back to the short shared front section of Club. Drives nothing like either National or Club. I haven't really driven GT at all, but I do like GP, the longest configuration in LFS. I do love this config, and even though it shares the back section of North, it is reversed from that so drives differently. That puts us with 4 viable configs that all drive different than each other at Aston. I also didn't stick Cadet in here as that I feel is just good for the little cars, but opinions of course vary.

Add the Aston layouts to our total and we move up to 9 viable different "tracks" so far for league racing. Looking at South City, we have 5 configs where Sprint 1 and Sprint 2 are completely separate from each other. I don't have much experience with SO except with Classic mostly in the MRT and SO Long. I would definitely put Long into the mix of a league series, as well as maybe Sprint 1. Then, instead of putting Classic or Sprint 2 in the mix as I feel they are just too short for proper league racing, we can combine them and use SO Town Course giving us 3 more layouts that drive different.

We move on with our now 12 layouts for league use to Fern Bay. We have 4 configs not including the rally tracks. Two of them, Green and Gold are, again, completely separated from each other. Both are excellent tracks, and if you combine them, you get the fantastic Black track, another long one. All three of these are great, but I will disregard Black since it does share the entire lengths of both Green and Gold. So, there are 2 more.

That puts our total to 14 tracks to use for league use. Combine that with the fact that many of these are also excellent and drive completely different in reverse configuration, you easily could have a total of 28 tracks at your disposal for league racing. Tell me, which league runs 28 races? Is there one? I don't know.

If you are still reading this way down here, I can see why folks would like more tracks. Variety is the spice of life and many of the configs are suited more for one car class than the other. I am basing all that above on the GTR's as that is what I like to drive. But if you could do it for GTR's, then they also easily suit the F08, FOX, baby GTR's, and possible even the LFR class. You might want to knock off a few of the longer stuff if going for the slower road cars. But then you also have other smaller configs to substitute for the long ones.

That all said, I do agree. I would love to have more different tracks than we have now. But I don't see any merit in the complaining that all we have is the same old tracks to use for leagues. Because there are plenty of variety in the configs to give you more than enough tracks for leagues. Using 28 tracks including the reverses of them gives you 7 months of once a week racing for leagues. I don't think I could last with racing the same league series for a solid 7 months straight.

Thank you and happy racing .
#49 - SamH
Great post, Mike. Comprehensive, as always!

To follow on, from my own perspective, I think the reason there are six different tracks with lots of different configurations, at this stage makes sense. They're all well-rounded courses - each configuration has merit in its own right.

What we have is efficient coding. Content is re-used, portions of each configuration can be found in other configurations, meaning that one track designer has been able to create a large number of exceptionally good configurations out of 6 locations. SO FAR. We know there's more to come.

So the simple answer to the original poster's question, for me, is that LFS isn't finished yet. The Devs are still working on it. It's not the end of the story. As Victor said, in a recent interview, the future possibilities are limitless.
Quote from deggis :"Mini Eau Rouge" for example - yeah it's similar to Laguna Seca's corkscrew but Aston is supposed to be a modern GP track.

To be fair, the "Mini Eau Rouge" (I prefer to call it simply the "dipped chicane" myself ) originally only appeared on Cadet and Historic configs of Aston. The Historic config is nearly identical to the GP config with the exception of the dipped chicane being replaced by the infield section with the double hairpins - the obvious inference being that the infield is the new, sanitised version because the old dipped chicane is too mad/dangerous. And Aston Cadet is only really suitable for slower cars, where you can't get enough speed through the chicane to make it seem obviously unrealistic.

Having said that, I agree that the chicanes in the LFS Universe at the moment aren't good enough because they can all be taken too quickly, either as a result of the damage/physics modelling, or the actual track construction.

I'd also love to see more environments in LFS, rather than new configs - however there is of course only one modeller/graphic artist who designs the tracks, and there's only so much he can do. The environments and configs we have now are good fun, and present a good variety of tracks - from the super-fast Westhill to the right angles of South City, via the tight turns of Fern Bay. My complaint lies in the theming of the environments, because they're all just a bit too... similar.

Blackwood - a circuit in England, with a palette that represents the greens and greys of England.
Westhill - a circuit in the countryside of England, with a palette that represents the...
Aston - a circuit in the countryside of England, with a palette... oh you get the idea by now. And of course South City is inspired by parts of Greater London, judging by the road signs.

Only Fern Bay and the Kyoto complex offer any real difference in atmosphere and ambience. Kyoto works especially well I think - gives the feeling of a track in a bowl somewhere amongst a mountainous region of Japan. Fern Bay, despite it's graphical age, does have that sunny Jamaican feel to it.

What LFS would benefit from is more characterful environments. That doesn't mean they have to be unrealistic, because there really are racetracks of varying speed and substance in (for example) the heat and concrete and dust of Nevada or California, or amongst the forests and low sun of Scandinavia, or in the smog and dirt of a rarely used track on the outskirts of a huge sprawl like Mexico City. And they're just the ones off the top of my head, I'm sure there's countless more realistic settings for tracks in reality.

Them's the kind of things I'd love to see in LFS.

Why not more tracks?
(79 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG