The online racing simulator
Quote from sinbad :To be fair all it takes is 5 minutes to sign up. It's a little like how you have to sign-up to nogrip forums now to download from there. Hardly what I would call the actions of "bastards".

from what i understand you have to sign up and turn up to their races. I dont have time to turn up to a league race and what is probably going to be some early hour in the morning for me. If they are willing to race the tracks (silverstone, zandvoort, monaco) in the league then why not release for everyone to enjoy?
Quote from sinbad :To be fair all it takes is 5 minutes to sign up. It's a little like how you have to sign-up to nogrip forums now to download from there. Hardly what I would call the actions of "bastards".

Hmm. So I could just sign up to the http://www.gpchampionship.com and then get to download the tracks from somewhere...? I thought you need to be in the inner circle or something to get those tracks...? If I join to the the GPC am I expected to race there too...?
Quote from Hyperactive :Hmm. So I could just sign up to the http://www.gpchampionship.com and then get to download the tracks from somewhere...? I thought you need to be in the inner circle or something to get those tracks...? If I join to the the GPC am I expected to race there too...?

Well, although you are signing up to the league, let me put it this way. For the past season there were 15 grid slots, sometimes up to 60 people drove laps in the provisional qualifying server, and no doubt countless others didn't bother. So as far as the people competing being the only ones with access to the tracks, that is not the case.
anybody got news on that new nurburgring? the one made from scratch? they ahd a forum but i forgot the address and my bookmarks got erased
Quote from sinbad :Well, although you are signing up to the league, let me put it this way. For the past season there were 15 grid slots, sometimes up to 60 people drove laps in the provisional qualifying server, and no doubt countless others didn't bother. So as far as the people competing being the only ones with access to the tracks, that is not the case.

Is that a yes or no? Can I get those tracks or not? I guess not...

You need to register on the site, pretty sure you need to join a league (anyone know?), then post in the forum and jaap sends a PM with the download link
Quote from Hyperactive :Is that a yes or no? Can I get those tracks or not? I guess not...

Well only a small percent of the people that had access to those tracks actually participated. That should answer your question . But yes, technically you have to sign up to the league.
Quote from Gabkicks :anybody got news on that new nurburgring? the one made from scratch? they ahd a forum but i forgot the address and my bookmarks got erased

http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?p=3194856 ?

I think the situation hasn't changed with nK Poo at all since summer. Website has been redone http://netkar-pro.com , that's basicly the only thing they've done since April. Of course it says even in the website that they're making the patch but I simply refuse to believe that until I see an announcement about an exact patch release date.
Quote from mrbogeyman :Just turn your speakers off when you are listening to it and it actually seems pretty good

The track model looks quite good too.

it should look good since it was ripped from GP4 which used GPS to create accurate tracks
It should look good since it was ripped from GP4 which uses GPS to fool people into thinking the tracks are accurate, since GPS was only accurate to around +-6 feet in those days, which is rather a lot, especially at Monte Carlo.

I believe GPS is more accurate now (as it's more common), but I still don't think it's really viable for track modelling. What you'd need are some lasers linked with inclinometers and some form of gyroscopic compass.

Didn't GT4 say it's GPS modelled Nordschleife was accurate to 10mm. Which GPS do they use??? Or is it, by any chance, PR crap?
GP4 tracks seem pretty spot on to me for a game anyway. Take a look around at some of the GP4 vs real life comparisons, they are pretty much identical.

There seems to be some patch on the horizon for nK which is a good sign, although Kunos should really be working his ass off to make up for all this time. I really hope nK gets into a workable (I mean bugless) state where it can be improved because I think it has a lot of potential.

So far not communicating with the community and having a `tip of the week` that never changes isn't helping his cause.

Keiran
Okay, so it takes 40 minutes PER POINT to get 10cm accuracy. Lets assume they took one point per meter, across three parts of the track (two edges and the centreline). Nordschliefe is something like 20.8km long, so there would be 6114000 points. Assuming, again, that 50 people did it at once, and that it took a negligable time to get from one point to the next, it would take over 9 years of CONTINUOUS AND UNINTERRUPTED 24hr PER DAY, 7 DAYS PER WEEK WORK to get the Nurburgring to that accuracy.

Thus Sony/Polypony are either liars, fools, or just plain wrong.

If a track is accurate in ANY GAME/SIM so far to within 1m in any dimension I will be seriously impressed!!!!
Quote from tristancliffe :Thus Sony/Polypony are either liars, fools, or just plain wrong.

Somehow I can easily picture a line of Sony emloyees all standing within an arm's reach of each other each holding a GPS reader and announcing their readings in a monotone voice through a headset. All of them wearing ties.
#41 - troy
Quote from tristancliffe :Thus Sony/Polypony are either liars, fools, or just plain wrong.

Well, remember GT4 is "The real driving simulator" ROLF
I have a very strange problem with nkpro seen all you hate the game i a willing to have a try at it but i can not see what is wrong with the track it disappears for some reason don't know why and haveing problems getting to see the rev and little info on the steering wheel
Attached images
nkpro.JPG
Quote from xaotik :Somehow I can easily picture a line of Sony emloyees all standing within an arm's reach of each other each holding a GPS reader and announcing their readings in a monotone voice through a headset. All of them wearing ties.

Awesome. Thanks for the image.
Finally.
#47 - Jakg
...sonds good - but do they plan on putting road cars in the demo?
Well, we'll see what it's like in a few weeks then. I hope it's not just the multiplayer code being tweaked in this patch though, as there were some horrid physics bugs too that NEED sorting (90 degrees anyone?).
It seems that the "nk pro RSC spokesman" has changed

Let's just hope that an LFS patch kills it
Quote from Hyperactive :It seems that the "nk pro RSC spokesman" has changed

Let's just hope that an LFS patch kills it

Frankly, the last LFS patch pretty much killed it for me.

I'm happy for everyone who's suffered through the debacle, and is finally getting something for it, but I personally can't seem to get all too excited about a 5-month-after-the-fact patch for what I'd consider the second best (at best) sim.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG