The online racing simulator
#1 - ajp71
I get the sense he threw in the towel when he offered everyone a refund and offered the majority of nK for free following the amount of crap he got on the RSC forum and the whole issue of the crack being promoted on this forum. I still feel that the divide left by nK in this community is still here and bringing it up in discussion is likely to end in a flame fest.

As for the actual nK itself I haven't touched it for months, I gave up on it pretty much the same day Kunos announced he would be giving refunds as it seemed clear then that the patches weren't going to materialise. I still feel there's a huge amount of promise in the physics but it's overall too buggy to be worth the hassle. I don't think nK will ever come back as nK but maybe the physics engine (which still has the potential to thrash LFS IMO) could be sold on to another party and produce a new sim.
#2 - ajp71
WTF? my post is the first post in this thread?
Skip netkar PRO,I'll wait for Drivers Republic
It'd be a shame if nK never realised its potential. Driving those Formula Fords is awesome fun and it's one of the best feeling sims I've tried since GPL, but yes, the MP has mega problems and that's not the only thing that needs serious attention. I just wish Kunos would come out of his frickin' hole and say something, even if it's just "I'm over it lads, go back to GPL & LFS". That would at least be something. It's just so odd. During development, Kunos would post progress reports every time he'd...made progress ...and it was clear that he had great passion for netKar. I was into netKar while it was in namie stage and loved it (Modena or Mini Cooper at Lime Rock, oh yes :up: ), even though I never got the MP to work. I liked that there was another indie dev out there trying something different, just like Scavier did with LFS. I won't speculate what's going on in his life but I just can't fathom his complete lack of contact with a community that's so ready to support him and his project. It's such a pity because with its great physics and "feel", it could really become a cult, genre-defining hit amongst the obsessive sim racing community
Quote from Vain :...and can make a statement about the current state of the game and their experience with it?Vain

Funny part is that there is no current state.

There has been some discussion about this same thing over at rscnet.org. I can't believe some people are still defending Kunos, I guess they just pretend that "everything is ok and nK Pro is flawless" or something. As sad as it is I think this reply sums this up pretty well: http://forum.rscnet.org/showpo ... 3095090&postcount=126

The biggest problem right now is Kunos who has made zero commucation with the community since the first small patch. Kunos' "nK Pro concept" was great for him, first do some hype, then release some piece of shit and after you get the money vanish to the underground (or a nice vacation to Japan, some people have been guessing that).
Does NKP have potential? Definately. I haven't tried the game after the small patch release either, seeing that it didn't do pretty much anything. I thought I'd wait until there had been lots of patches made and the game was actually playable. TBH, seeing that kunos hasn't done anything after that makes me feel even more ripped off than before. Not happy.. not happy at all.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
It has great potential, but if what you guys say is true is he's bin'd the project perhaps someone will buy the rights and continue with it...
The italian forums usually get information before RSC. Apparently he is working on fixing the multiplayer right now. You can get a refund from what i understand. Just be patient. Focus on S3 for now :hide:
#9 - Vain
nK Pro - Discussion: Round 2 - State of affairs?
Hello!

A bit of talk arised about nK Pro in the forums here lately. I was always interested in nK Pro as it looked promising but put me off with the huge negative response to the release. Back then I thought that I should wait and see how it develops.
Well, I guess that enough time has passed to get rid of the most annoying bugs and release some patches. Are there any people here who lately got a new opinion about nK Pro and can make a statement about the current state of the game and their experience with it?

Vain
My opinion of it is the same now as it was, has massive potential, but let down by a few problems, and diabolical netcode.

That and the fact that Kunos has seemingly abandoned it leave a pretty bad taste in my mouth, its very clear that it was in no way ready for a public release (calling it V1.0 is laughable), but there you go, its not a bad sim per-say, just a very mixed bag of good and bad, from the physics, which I think are good, although the flat spot effects have made all my fillings drop out, and the curious "90DEG" spin problem is wierd, to the sound, which is awfull, finally a sim thats worse in the sound department than LFS is.

Would I recommend it in its current state?, that would be a HELL NO, maybe in the future, but at present, no way, stay clear for now.

edit : yeah, the patch, well, TBH it didnt really make the sim any better IMO, netcode and lobby are still a joke

Dan,
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from thisnameistaken :Nothing's happening. Kunos put out one patch to fix some of the most killer bugs, but promised another one about a month ago which never materialised, and nobody's heard from him since.

Hmm thats a shame. I was ready to support another indy developer once it reached some sort of stable stage. I haven't been following its development on the forums much at all now, so I guess I never realised he has abandoned it.

I suppose it highlights the need for communication like we have here.
#12 - axus
Quote from ajp71 :(which still has the potential to thrash LFS IMO)

The LFS engine has potential to trash itself TBH, after the drivetrain issues are ironed out and the aerodynamics are improved... I thought that it sort of thrashed itself with the last physics patch.
Quote from sil3ntwar :You can get a refund from what i understand.

Nope. Many weeks ago, I tried emailing the netKar PRO support email address about a refund. No response. I tried emailing them again. Still no response. I tried emailing kunos directly. No response there either. I have considered having my credit card company do a charge-back on the grounds that the product is not fit for use but have refrained from doing so because it will affect kunos' credit. My credit card has a 6-month charge-back period and if there has been no progress within the next couple of months, I'll do a charge-back and let kunos deal with the credit card company if he chooses to fight it.
So its a scam?
Quote from BuddhaBing :Nope

Kunos orignally made a post on RSC that anyone who wanted one could have a refund. He probably is no longer opening mail because he's buggered off.
I highly doubt he has buggered off. I bet he has no time to open emails because he is working flat out on this game. This has been his project for many years why would he drop it now? netKar has great potential and of course he will know that. I do remember the delay for S2 and the devs not being around for that for quite a long.
Quote from sil3ntwar :I highly doubt he has buggered off. I bet he has no time to open emails because he is working flat out on this game. This has been his project for many years why would he drop it now? netKar has great potential and of course he will know that. I do remember the delay for S2 and the devs not being around for that for quite a long.

1. There have been absolutley no signs of activity since the first patch and there was plenty pre-release and up until the first patch.

2. He offered everyone refunds and made it sound as if he was giving up.

3. The patch was meant to be released months ago.
Quote from sil3ntwar :I highly doubt he has buggered off. I bet he has no time to open emails because he is working flat out on this game.

I've seen this argument made several times over at RSC. It doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Look, kunos was posting quite regularly at RSC in the weeks leading up to netKar PRO's release. The weeks leading up to a release are known as crunch time, where you work flat out to get the product out the door. If he could post regularly then, he can certainly post an occasional one-line update now. Instead, it's been months since anyone has heard from him. He seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. His associate Schummy1, who was also posting regularly at RSC in the weeks leading up to and immediately following release, has likewise disappeared. Emails to the support email address go unanswered.

I'm not suggesting that netKar PRO is/was a scam. At this point, I don't suppose any of us will ever know what happened. I suspect, however -- and this is pure speculation -- that it didn't sell nearly as well as kunos had hoped and that he had to make a choice between abandoning the project or facing financial hardship. I know which choice I would make.
Quote from BuddhaBing : I suspect, however -- and this is pure speculation -- that it didn't sell nearly as well as kunos had hoped and that he had to make a choice between abandoning the project or facing financial hardship. I know which choice I would make.

If it didnt sell well, then he would all ready be in "financial hardship", so abandoning the project would only put him into more "financial hardship", and continuing would potentially increase sales. I dont think this is what happened but you never know.

TBH the game is pretty playable online. I've had a few good races and close wheel to wheel battles and cant see why so many people are still complaining about the netcode, the only thing i would be complaining about are the lack of people playing it online, and in quali if you start a hotlap just before the clock runs out, it wont let you finish the lap, but this happens a lot in LFS because people always shift+R :irked:

I hope it hasnt been abandoned because there's a lot of potential with new tracks and mods once the devkits out, but I swear the netcode isnt as bad as people make out!
and the bastards wont release the track unless you join their little club which you wont be able to do if you've ever whispered anything bad about netKar. The netKar community is crap as its run by a small group of people who like to keep the cool things to themselves.
Quote from sil3ntwar :and the bastards wont release the track unless you join their little club which you wont be able to do if you've ever whispered anything bad about netKar. The netKar community is crap as its run by a small group of people who like to keep the cool things to themselves.

That's a really intelligent approach to earn money...illepall
Quote from Vykos69 :That's a really intelligent approach to earn money...illepall

thats all the community though. Has nothing to do with Kunos and the dev team.
Quote from sil3ntwar :thats all the community though. Has nothing to do with Kunos and the dev team.

To be fair all it takes is 5 minutes to sign up. It's a little like how you have to sign-up to nogrip forums now to download from there. Hardly what I would call the actions of "bastards".
I played around with DR last night and It felt good- much more solid in fact than nKpro. Similar loads in the graphics department I expect but DR was much smoother. To describe it it felt like LFS meets nKpro, if that makes any sense. Smooth and approachable like LFS, but with the 'unfinished but potentially good' feeling of nKpro. I'm excited about the community modding/car building aspect of DR though. If that was ever realised in an elegent way the fruits I imagine could be very interesting.

We wait..

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG