The online racing simulator
Car on fire!
(20 posts, started )
Car on fire!
Well first I was wondering if oneday we will be able to move/adjust the position of our mirrors because you can't see everything were they are now. Well I can't anyways.

And also I was thinking like, if you crash your car very badly that it gose up in flames and you cant drive it until you pit and there could be like a 10 second timer to pit then after that 10 secs it auto pits you.

Like driving the oval and you crash into the side fast that your car gose into flames and runs up the wall and crashes down in the middle grass part. That would be cool.

EDIT: Also like if u have a minor crash your mirrors could get like smashed.

So is there anyone at all who likes these?
Quote from spacedeck :Well first I was wondering if oneday we will be able to move/adjust the position of our mirrors because you can't see everything were they are now. Well I can't anyways.

And also I was thinking like, if you crash your car very badly that it gose up in flames and you cant drive it until you pit and there could be like a 10 second timer to pit then after that 10 secs it auto pits you.

Like driving the oval and you crash into the side fast that your car gose into flames and runs up the wall and crashes down in the middle grass part. That would be cool.

EDIT: Also like if u have a minor crash your mirrors could get like smashed.

So is there anyone at all who likes these?

hi, u allready can move ur mirror but only inside, but i guess u mean the outside mirrors

and i think we 1st need sparks and then flames
i like the mirrors idea...

if they could break of come off when you hit someone side-by-side. that would be pretty cool. +1

as for the flames... why? just cuz it looks cool!? it wouldn't add to the racing experience at all.
also if you think about it it would br quite hard to implement, you'd have to have a virtual fuel tank and work out if it gets hit hard enough to burst, if it doesn then is there anything around to ignite the fuel, if so how much fuel comes out to burn, where does the fuel run to, flames spread.... etc, etc, etc....

cars very rarely burst into flames in real life... it would just be a waste of processor usage if you ask me. -1
i think both ideas are good bring em on !
yeah fire would be cool.... GrandPrix 2 had fire, and that wos about 1994???

but i think they also had parts getting wripped off from the car.
Currently, we have a pretty decent suspension damage system, though it's sometimes oversenstitive (too easily damaged). Rememner the BF1 at Kyot Oval problem, whereby one side of the rear suspension always cops damage even at pretty high ride heights (no detectable bottoming).

My point is, as good as this fire suggestion is, it's useless until the full damage model (engines and chassis damage) was fully modelled. Last thing we need is random fires. Besides, cars don't catch fire much these days unless something major blows, such as the engine.
I'm all for cracked windows/mirrors/parts being torn off/fire. Games have had these for years, and it really adds to the immersion. However, the only fire I want to see is engine fires, GPL style.
only flames i think should be there are when there is fuel/oil whatever in the exhaust. and it ignites and looks pretty. like me. :P
#9 - Sage
Mirror idea is really neat. Sounds good to me!
Hello,

all in all I have to say that the realism for crashes in LFS is quite bad. Flying car's over 500m and bouncing like a ball.......illepall
Also when I crash a car straight in to a wall with 200km/h......there gotta be nothing left

This need's really some consideration

tomylee
#11 - Jakg
not sure on fire, but i am for mirrors and bumpers breaking off, but remember, LFS is still in alpha
Quote from nikimere :you'd have to have a virtual fuel tank

We do, go into pits and empty the fuel tank, then slide it across to full and watch the back end drop.
Quote :
i am for mirrors and bumpers breaking off, but remember, LFS is still in alpha

While still being in alpha, I am impressed by the damage effects in LFS. Too many games advertise things flying off (mirrors, bumpers, doors) as realistic damage modelling but forget that a car is 'squishable'. I love when you smack into a wall in LFS and the whole front end just compacts to the front wheels, or how the roof caves in (sometimes molded nicely around the drivers head!) after a nasty roll. And the results are (mostly) believable and always unique. Great stuff!
+1 But there are lots of more important things to do.. lately.
I would like to see this as well i like the idea of bits falling off the cars, it would also be good to have windows cracking and smashing on the road or bits of the car falling off and other cars that hit the glass or broken stuff get punctures and bits of the other car getting stuck in the tyres and underside of the car.
Quote :and bits of the other car getting stuck in the tyres and underside of the car.

Flatout was pretty into that kind of idea. When Flatout came out I got back into driving games, enjoying the destructive physics and the bush-bash feel. Scawen has already proved himself in the physics dept- but going over the top in a 'flatout' way probably isn't appropriate for a game like LFS. Watching the F1 in Istanbul today- some guy rammed into the barrier and wrecked it. That would be fun to see in LFS. Barrier damage! haha
Looking forward to seeing the morrors coming of, aswell as bumbers and other parts of the car , especially when racing close to eachother and coming into contact

Good idea +1
Quote from sebaa :
you cannot see anything behind you..you can only see you seat

In real life you couldn't even look back like that, because you sit in a racing seat wearing racing seatbelts. What i'd like to see is limited view radius (like 240 degrees) combined to Becky Rose's suggestion.

Adjusting mirrors: Already discussed, but +1
Flames: Why not, but it's not a must-have feature that affects gameplay, so let's forget it for few years, ok?
Mirrors smashed: I'm sure this will be included in the damage model at some point
#19 - Gunn
Quote from tomylee :Hello,

all in all I have to say that the realism for crashes in LFS is quite bad. Flying car's over 500m and bouncing like a ball.......illepall
Also when I crash a car straight in to a wall with 200km/h......there gotta be nothing left

This need's really some consideration

tomylee

It already has consideration. The current damage model is not yet fully developed. This is fairly well-known.
mirrors
Mirrors do break/distort already.
I remember having a couple wall touches, that broke my mirrors.

Engine can be wrecked already - take the gti on oval and shift from
5th down to 1st gear on top speed and see what happens :-)

Fire only makes sense when the gas tank bursts.

But i like the idea of loosing cooling fluid or oil which will be similar to
the actual engine wrecking effect.
(power loss, stuttering engine and later failure)

Car on fire!
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG