The online racing simulator
Toughest Corner in LFS
(62 posts, started )
#26 - dev
The one I've had most trouble with lately is the uphill chicane in WE1R in the FOX. No matter what I try, 8 times out of 10 I end up spinning out towards the end of the exit where the track drops away a little unless I take it really slowly. I guess it could be a setup issue though.
Well, Aston national reversed 1st turn. It is just so hard to do just right because the big curbs inside will always tip you over if you're in FXR/XRR. One needs to brake, turn in and steer very precisely to get a good exit from there...Long braking from high speed. It is just so easy to make s small error there. Also SO1R, that downhill right-chicane can be nightmare
silly question, if you think about it.

Every single corner, as you approach the limit, becomes increasingly difficult.

It is not a matter of a corner's design, it is the process of reaching the limit to take a corner perfectly (since you said "corner" and not "curve" i do not take flat-out curves in consideration).

that process becomes more and more difficult, as you approach the limit. From this point of view, every corner is of the same difficulty.

however, what is more interesting is that for every person there is a different corner that is more difficult, which is subjective.

just my $.03
I kind of agree, but there is also the factor of the severity of the corner if you fail...
For example some corners if you fail to take them perfectly you just lose time, some others you hit the wall (South City chicane?:nod.
Most of the corners at Fern Bay. Hit them right and be rewarded. Hit them wrong and spin out or flip over, depending on vehicle.

Last corner on Westhill, the radius is screwy and decieving, and it is reversed banked, too.
I'd still say BL1R T1. Crest and corner and braking and getting the line for next corner = mess.
all those that require good timing to make them at all like turing of the green straight at black rev or the last turn at so3 and of course leaving the motorway on so long rev
at least when the car is sideways into those 2 corners
Fern Bay Green Rev chicane before the second split. One some cars it's possible to do it flat-out, or near enough ~, but get it wrong and..
as cadet last corner, it kills me. its really hard to get a good braking point, and u can get some huge understeer if u go a bit faster. as3 last chicane, and the south city chicane r hard as well.
Quote from Paranoid Android :I kind of agree, but there is also the factor of the severity of the corner if you fail...

The outcome of a failed cornering is completely unrelated.

There is no rule that easy corners are not without risk. For example T1 in WE is flat out and easy indeed, however there is little margin for error.

If the question was "which turn is the most risky?" then any corner before long straights are first in the list.

But the question was not that.

thinking back on all my lapping, the corner I think gives me the most trouble to get 'right' is the turn 1 combo on aston club reversed - coming down from high speed, on the brakes, drift right, opens out left. It's not very dangerous, but it was exceedingly rare for me to feel like I got all I could out of it.

Also agree that the final corner of westhill is a bugger to get right.
The bumpy sweeper on south city long reverse is dangerous (particularly for passing!!) but I've never had that much trouble doing it pretty well.
Westhill's last one is the hardest. Kyoto Ring also has few difficult ones when driven clockwise, in Nat the 180 degree looong T3, and in both configs the oval section entry is tricky with some cars.
Aston Historic Reversed, the last *difficult* corner (because the last two corners are really high speed). It starts off fast, then gets tighter, tighter, tighter. Have to keep dropping gears to stay on the road. Can never get it right. Either come out of it with plenty of road left over, or hit the wall.
Westhill last corner/T1 in reverse is so forgiving a corner it can't be considered. Sure it's hard to do fast, but you'll only wreck your car there if you mix it up with another driver.

The chicane at South City Classic is easy "if" you know what to do. If you dont you crash, and it's as simple as that really, but it shouldn't take long to figure it out as it's not that challenging a corner. As the lap unfolds i'm more concerned about getting the hairpin right than the chicane.

Aston's Eu Rogue is interesting, but not nearly fast enough in most cars to provide a challenge.

Blackwood GP rev is a difficult corner to get right, being one of the few corners where if you get it wrong you go flying across the inside! Once you've done some laps though it just becomes a difficult corner, not a dangerous one.

The last few corners on KY GP Long are quite low grip, but patch T, more downforce, or just driving a tiny bit slower solve that.

The corners I think are the most fearsome in LFS are the chicanes, because the physics system so easily turns you into a NASA experiment heading for Mars if you get them wrong. Fe Gold, Fe Green, Ky GP Long chicanes all spring to mind as corners where the impossible happens alarmingly frequently.
Quote from Crazy Harry :KY1 Turn 3. The smallest mistake screws your laptime totally. Maybe some other corners are more difficult to take, but the result of a screwed t3 on KY1 is hard.

Quote from mrbogeyman :That corner on the drag straight........now that's tough!

ROFL, I can never make it through these turns, +1 for hardest of all in LFS!!!

Can anyone turn out of the pits, I just go straight!!!!???
Quote from Crazy Harry :
KY1 Turn 3. The smallest mistake screws your laptime totally. Maybe some other corners are more difficult to take, but the result of a screwed t3 on KY1 is hard.

Quote from mrbogeyman :
That corner on the drag straight........now that's tough!

[11:06:50] <Gener_AL> imagine a whole track of turns like t3 @ KY1 prob to difficult

:ices_rofl
Quote from bw_krupp :Aston Historic Reversed, the last *difficult* corner (because the last two corners are really high speed). It starts off fast, then gets tighter, tighter, tighter. Have to keep dropping gears to stay on the road. Can never get it right. Either come out of it with plenty of road left over, or hit the wall.

Yeah, that one's a pain, I always end up drifting my car round it. Thankfully most people on public servers are hopeless at it.
More often than not I hit this turn and brake too late for it.
Attached images
untitled.JPG
I don't know if it is just my FFB but the aston Eau Rouge is most challenging in the F08 and BF1, the weight change and speed give the impression that I'll never make it through the exit of the turn, you have to 'float' the car till the aero kicks in and you have some weight in the steering again until then you might as well be flying. It is certainly one of the harder corners to judge without 'feeling'. The only other corners I find 'challenging' are the ones that ALWAYS induce turn in understeer. So anything downhill, off camber, ever decreasing radius screws me royally.
Quote from Mauni :I found Westhill the hardest track overall. Many fast corners which are hard to drive fast. And that last corner, it's like paraboilica(spelling?) at Monza, Italy, expect slower.

I love speed, which is why I love the FZR and Westhill. I find Westhill very easy all except for the big chicane and the final turn. It's the only 2 corners I use the brakes. Everywhere else is no brakes except for the little chicane with the tire barrier. Just a good quick stab of the brakes before that section. That said, I agree with DWB in post #2. I lose all my time in the final corner. It's easy to drive, but difficult to drive fast. My time at Westhill is mid 1:32, I'm not a very fast driver.

Most of the other corners listed here I can agree with as well, but I'm just not fast at these tracks to designate a "tough" corner there. Except KY GP Long, the combination of the final right-right-left. Final corner section of Aston Club as well in the FOX. I'm running 1:02 there and lose probably a second in the final corner onto the front stretch.

Actually, any corner in FOX in patch U. Since the patch, I have a weird problem with handling where the front understeers tremendously until the very exit of the corner where the rear end will snap. I can't get rid of this as I don't know what the problem is. I get low 1:01 setups from folks in the servers (AS Club) and still can't keep it from understeer-understeer-understeer-snap. Same with Blackwood and Fern Bay tracks in the FOX. Just don't like the feel of the FOX anymore since patch U.
This one in SO Long. It's really bumpy when you break, and the track turns just a little bit right before the hairpin. It's easy to go thorugh this safely, but going it fast, it's hard. Really hard.
Attached images
Hairpin.JPG
I agree about Westhill... ..the last corner... I never get it right.

...and SO long rev. ...the first couple of "turns".
...hold your breath while full throttle through it - still with the max
speed from the straight.

...and ofcourse the Blackwood rev first turn.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I always tend to get this corners wrong
Attached images
asclub.jpg

Toughest Corner in LFS
(62 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG