The online racing simulator
Is there a plumber in the house?
(11 posts, started )
The overflow pipe that comes from the header tank is occasionally dripping, but I havent got a clue what might be causing it. I'm fairly confident that its not condensation as it doesn't just happen in the mornings any more. I have been told that it maybe caused by the tank not filling properly; which I had assumed meant that it was overfilling, but apparently this is not what was meant. It's allegedly "underfilling", if its behaving like this. Which I don't quite follow, for obvious reasons.

I'm yet to take a look at it though.

Unfortunately this is one part of the plumbing system I've never had to poke at before Any suggestions?
Ask Scawen
I had thought about it.... I guess our other resident plumbers aren't online then
#5 - ebola
Angry,

I am not a plumber but I have fixed a similar problem at my house. At a guess, in your loft will be something called a header tank - this is a buffer between your hot water tank and your water supply (I think to prevent air getting into your hot water system). The header tank has a ball cock in it (similar to the toilet) and when the water level falls the ball lowers which opens up a tap that then refills your header tank. As the water level rises this moves the ball up which then closes the tap off.

After time the seals go and the water keeps on dripping when the ball is raised - eventually the tank fills and the water escapes via the overflow. Sometimes you can get away with bending the ball cock arm down so it raises higher, if this fails you have to replace the unit. I actually did this myself and is really easy and I'm sure any reputable diy shop will give you some assisstance in changing the ball cock.

The best thing to do is going into your loft and have a look and I'm sure a man of your calibre will be able to work things out.
Quote from ebola :After time the seals go and the water keeps on dripping when the ball is raised - eventually the tank fills and the water escapes via the overflow. Sometimes you can get away with bending the ball cock arm down so it raises higher, if this fails you have to replace the unit.

This is exactly what I thought it would be; which is a shame as I've been told otherwise (see my comment in the original post ). I'll have the chance to poke at it properly tomorrow night hopefully, and see whats what I'm glad someone has come to the same conclusion as me though

Quote from ebola :I'm sure a man of your calibre will be able to work things out

I'm paranoid you've got camera's in my room now, or you've been talking to my gf. Then again it is only natural that people talk about my "calibre" given its attributes.. (sorry for the vague, rambling, manhood-size pun )

Thanks for the advice ebola
#7 - ebola
lol I was referring to your many insightful posts

Sorry bout that, read your original post, clicked reply, went away for an hour or so and then typed my reply - during that time forgot what I originally read
*Sharp intack of breath* Is gunna cost you.

Lol.

Yea, just sounds like the ball valve is going. . . The valve won't shut off is the only reason for the overflow dripping, or running, or gushing.

S'not a huge deal to replace it (well, actually, it can be) , just turn off the water at the stopcock first, otherwise your gunna get wet. Very wet . . .
Quote from ebola :lol I was referring to your many insightful posts

Why thank you :o I'm not always sure they're insightful, but thank you....

Quote from ebola :Sorry bout that, read your original post, clicked reply, went away for an hour or so and then typed my reply - during that time forgot what I originally read

Heh, that may have been because I edited it to clarify myself Sorry :s

Quote from Funnybear :Yea, just sounds like the ball valve is going. . . The valve won't shut off is the only reason for the overflow dripping, or running, or gushing.

Fantastic - thats what I was hoping a couple of people were gonna say Funnybear, ebola; you are "teh men" Cookies for you two next time I see ya
White chocolate chip please. And we can't be held responsible . . .For anything. At all. Never.
I know what you did last summer....

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG