The online racing simulator
LFS Weather?
(83 posts, started )

Poll : Wet Weather?

Yes
No
That was not in eau rouge - that was out of a hairpin. And it was caused by a wayward Scot who didn't (apparently) lift until he'd hit the first wall. Not really a fair example. There have been plenty of wet races at Spa, and most are a touch less accident filled than that one

P.S. I was at Spa for that race, and I got a bit soggy waiting for the restart, but afterwards got a rather large bag full of Ferrari and McLaren debris from the track and grass
#52 - Jakg
Quote from tristancliffe :P.S. I was at Spa for that race, and I got a bit soggy waiting for the restart, but afterwards got a rather large bag full of Ferrari and McLaren debris from the track and grass

what did you get? all can say is eBay it!

When the bloke who owned Gizmondo crashed his Enzo (that incident!), people nabbed wreckage and eBayed it and made some nice cash!
Quote from Becky Rose :I need wet weather to be competetive! lol, I drive all racing (real and sim) with way more understeer than most people because I find it more comfortable, and my arms tire if I drive with oversteer. So of course when the wet weather arrives suddenly I go setting fastest laps ... I can't wait!

sorta like alonso? sorta goes against that old saying "a loose car is a fast car"
Quote :sorta like alonso? sorta goes against that old saying "a loose car is a fast car"

In terms of driving style yes, but there's a catch. Alonso is good at it
#56 - SamH
I have a wet road mod for LFS.. it's called Patch Q If you have got the old Q install, it's really rather fun.. and an awful lot like a wet road in comparison with the new fizzies. It just needs black asphalt and some reflections on the road to complete the illusion. Well, in some part, anyway.
I would like wet weather but as said dynamic weather so not dry, damp, wet, raining etc as a long race progresses it might got from wet to dry or dry to wet. Which would leave people deciding when to change to wet or dry tyres which would make racing alot more interesting. Saying that though would be good to have a server side option to leave it at one tye of weather all the time (personally id leave it at dynamic more fun)
As someone said above about LFS weather, i think thats a bad idea. Look at this idea - If you wan to race gtr's on bl1 for example but bl1 has wet weather then theres no server you could race on (unless admin sets to dry 24/7) I dont know how hard it owuld be but i think would be great to have dynamic weather where the coding randomises the weather for each server eg - taking bl1 again could go on one bl1 server and bright sunny where other one is the middle of storm.
All of this i would hope to get at sometime but i would prefer rubber on track, marbles etc.
Quote from nikimere :Wet weather would be great, as i've said on similar topics many times!
But first like someone said above we need to have a dynamic racing line.
So when driving on a wet track the normal "dry line" would be the most slippy part of the track because there is more rubber on it.
Also we need to have a drying track so where ever on the track most of the cars are driving will dry faster than "off line".

I think wet weather would work better if there was a server option so a server admin could set his server to follow "LFS World weather / wet wether / dry weather"
  • LFS World Weather would be a wether forcast given out by LFS World and any server running this setting will have the same weather (also depending where in the world the track is, i.e. BL = England, FE=Jamaica)
  • Wet would just be a plain wet race
  • Dry just a plain dry race.
Now that would be cool! imho

Exactly what I've been thinking Only other thing I thought about was to have LFS World Weather be wrong at times and not being able to predict the weather with 100% accuracy in a week in advance etc

Keiran
Then Scawen should make a little virtual globe, with a little virtual weather system on it (nothing advanced, just cloud and rain cover based slightly on real life), so we can look at the globe and make weather forecasts.

How awesome would that be!
Quote from tristancliffe :But they are still allowed to race in the wet at Indy in F1 on the banking at 180mph? Or through Eau Rouge at 150? Or through Grande Curve at 190? Or round Monaco at 100? If it rains on an oval I think they should still race - they don't HAVE to press the throttle all the way down you know.

/me apologizes to Tristan

Yea, when I think of racing, I never think of open wheelers as I really do not like any of that kind of racing. I think in terms of Nascar or circuit racing like we have in LFS with the tintops .
Quote from tristancliffe :But they are still allowed to race in the wet at Indy in F1 on the banking at 180mph? Or through Eau Rouge at 150? Or through Grande Curve at 190? Or round Monaco at 100? If it rains on an oval I think they should still race - they don't HAVE to press the throttle all the way down you know.

First of all... 180mph != 240mph... And a 1400lbs F1 car != 3400lbs NASCAR.

They DO need to have rain tires, which simply are not supplied to teams when racing an oval...

Even with dry tires sometimes cars are not allowed to race at a track for safety reasons... Remember Indy?

The F1 track at Indy is clockwise because it was deemed too unsafe for them to be driving T1 of the oval in the correct direction...

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=10825 <- non-oval race was postponed due to rain, and numerous F1 races have been postponed because of rain (although they were started later the same day).

As soon as LFS gets some more ovals and a late model stockcar I'll challenge all of you ovalhaters to a 250 lap race on a shorttrack... I promise you, you'll love it, even if you don't believe so now.
Quote :The F1 track at Indy is clockwise because it was deemed too unsafe for them to be driving T1 of the oval in the correct direction...

Most F1 tracks are clockwise, because most race tracks are clockwise. Like all but 1 British tracks begin with a right hander.

There is no reason for this at all, not even a traditional one, infact the worlds first purpose built race track, Brooklands, was an anti-clockwise oval track, in the UK, with a sharp left hand turn as T1.

There have been F1 races which where postponed or even stopped because of rain, Monaco 1984 was mentioned earlier in this thread, Brazil is the last one to be stopped that I recall - mostly because a big accident blocked the track but if it wasn't for the rain that would have been cleared and re-started i'm sure.

Whilst this is true, it's also true that American series seem to have a very low threshold for rain. In a way this is sad because wet races provide some of the best spectator entertainment of all racing, but given the nature of oval racing it is perhaps understandable, if a little perplexing.

What is actually effected in the wet after all? Braking; and cornering. Neither of which are particular issues in oval racing in dry conditions, but in the wet it would become necessary to do both - can you imagine trying to get 40 oval racers to learn how to brake and steer and not drive inches apart? I think that is more the problem rather than just plain safety.

Train any group of people to do a particular thing, make them do it week in and week out, then throw in a wildcard like a wet race is to a predominantly oval series of races, do this in America, and then wait for the litigation to begin.
I would also imagine the spray behind the cars would be an issue in oval racing. If you watch F1 and look at how much water they put into the air the drivers following are almost racing blind if it wasnt for the red light at the back of the cars. Now imagine 40 cars in the wet and the amount of spray they would throw up, it would be impossible for the other drivers to see mid to the back of the field, then add the closeness of the racing and speed and you have a serious accident waiting to happen.
Quote from TagForce :First of all... 180mph != 240mph... And a 1400lbs F1 car != 3400lbs NASCAR. Makes no difference - less power, more tyre load = better in the wet.

They DO need to have rain tires, which simply are not supplied to teams when racing an oval... Well, they just start supplying them when the weather is wet. Simple. On the dog and bone to Mr Goodyear "Can I have some wets please? Thanks!"

Even with dry tires sometimes cars are not allowed to race at a track for safety reasons... Remember Indy? That was a one off, and as such is not useable in this argument

The F1 track at Indy is clockwise because it was deemed too unsafe for them to be driving T1 of the oval in the correct direction... And where is your source of this info? F1 cars are not designed to run ovals, where IRL cars are. F1 could work on ovals if they wanted to engineer for them.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=10825 <- non-oval race was postponed due to rain, and numerous F1 races have been postponed because of rain (although they were started later the same day). In exceptional circumstances yes. But if you get even a few drops inmn oval racing they stop/postpone/cancel the event. In very heavy rain maybe, but they should just stick some wets on and go for it. Corner speeds would be less, so accidents would actually be SAFER (though perhaps more of them would be more expensive )

As soon as LFS gets some more ovals and a late model stockcar I'll challenge all of you ovalhaters to a 250 lap race on a shorttrack... I promise you, you'll love it, even if you don't believe so now. If it's a half mile oval, with lots of grunt and no downforce I can well imagine it's fun (as long as the server doesn't run stupid only pass on the left and spam the screen with "FM just ate Breakfast messages" But downforce and ovals have never mixed in my opinion. NASCAR would be good if they used technology newer than 50 years old. Even American road cars are now using 70's technology, so there is plenty of scope for modernisation.

Sorry, couldn't bo bothered to do separate quotes, as I'm clock watching, and I want to go home and play with the Reynard.
Would they have wet weather for Demo, S1, S2?
#66 - Jakg
Quote from dmwright :Would they have wet weather for Demo, S1, S2?

how are we supposed to know?

Probably, but i hope not
I hope they have it on demo but i have s2 on different pc and demo racers will enjoy wet weather and buy s2/s3
i think wet weather should be locked for the demo. the more we give them in the demo, the les reason for them to buy s2. (if you get wat i mean, even tho theres plenty reason to get s2)
the devs have already made the decision to give away a top notch demo - dunno why anyone would realistically think it's any of their business what is included in the demo myself.
Quote :i think wet weather should be locked for the demo.

I dont give a damn what they put in the demo, frankly, I dont use it.
Quote from dmwright :I hope they have it on demo but i have s2 on different pc and demo racers will enjoy wet weather and buy s2/s3

DM why not use your S2 account for posts here then

If dynamic weather is made a possabillity in the future I think demo users should just get a wet / dry option (maybe) and the dynamic stuff just available to paid account holders .

SD.
It would definately be cool to have wet racing in LFS, but as someone else said there needs to be dynamic track modelling first, otherwise it would seem a bit pointless.

Without a dynamic track it'd just be a less grippy track overall, with no new techniques or strategies involved. It would kinda just be like LFS used to be (less grippy), just a bit more extreme.
Quote from Becky Rose :I dont give a damn what they put in the demo, frankly, I dont use it.

ahh but we do get the benefit from the money that comes from demo players getting s2, as it helps improve the game that we use, so although we dont use it, technically, it still affects us.
Wet weather would certainly make T1 interesting Quite a few races struggle in the dry there and wet would just make the problem worse.

As for the demo having rain, do not agree, some parts of lfs should remain locked and weather should be one of them. If they want wet weather, get them to invest £24 or £36 if its in s3 to unlock it and support all of the hard work that has gone behind coding it + any other features

I think the s2 demo is generous enough and as a certain application showed last month there are too many demo racers....
I like wet simulating too, but if that was not bad for LFS graphic.now it has very clear and smooth graphic and i like it.

LFS Weather?
(83 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG