The online racing simulator
Editor Test Patch D50 (now D64)
(96 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Scawen :Additional information about the updated headlights system:

This post needs to be updated to use "high" and "low" words including the new mapping names.
Quote from Rubbel_31 :Will there be language options for the editor ?

No, that would make development harder and slow it down too much.

Quote from Flame CZE :This post needs to be updated to use "high" and "low" words including the new mapping names.

Thanks, done that now.
Wow. Awesome that you considered and implemented my suggestion. Right on! Big grin People are gonna love this. Thanks!
Here's how it all works together in my upcoming mod:
Editor Test Patch D53:

Lights:

Lights now work on subobjects (e.g. bike handlebars)
New object type "Popup headlight"
- set axis, angle and time of rotation in modeller
- test using slider bar in vehicle editor Lights tab

Modeller:

Option to keep an empty (rotated) subobject after "merge into main"
- and break off main object into rotated subobject works as expected
- for example the following sequence of operations is now possible:
1) rotate a subobject to convenient orientation for modelling
2) merge into main but keep the empty rotated subobject
3) model and map the subobject in that position
4) break off into the rotated empty subobject

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/106004
#30 - AR92
Is there any chance increasing the max 4 default setup limit to 6 or 8 maybe? For new 8 config feature i mean.
Just a heads up, Windows security is blocking D53's LFS_EDITOR.exe so you have to explicitly allow it or else it gets removed.

Edit: Finally pop-up headlights in LFS, Thank you!
Found a bug. The light colour preview isn't getting updated for the newly supported subobjects (atleast my steering wheel subob here.) It works fine ingame, the color is updated ingame, but not in real time in editor for some reason. Here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E28GS1U3ps
Quote from Scawen :consider improved support for stretched tyres

are we gonna get it on D54? Or it's a nono already
Mate I have been working 12 to 14 hours a day, please.

It's a no if I remove it from the list.

EDIT: I've removed patch number from that list to avoid misunderstandings.
Quote from Flame CZE :Even though they were originally my suggestions, I find these shortcuts a bit awkward to use quickly. For instance, when switching between points and tris mode, to press the shortcuts using one hand, I have to move over from left to right side of the keyboard. I think what someone already suggested too was using SHIFT+1 to SHIFT+8 for the modes, then we could reach the keys with one hand and keep the other hand on the mouse.

Edit: Or it could be CTRL+TAB (next mode) / CTRL+SHIFT+TAB (previous mode), like it is in a browser.

I've gone for the keys '1' to '8' (and NUMPAD1 to NUMPAD8) without SHIFT.

I've removed the old quick keys for modeller (SHIFT+LETTER) which are then available for other functions in future.

Will that be fine for everyone or is there any possible conflict?
-
(durmazz) DELETED by Scawen : demo racer posting about licensed content
Wondered if these would be useful, now that they are available for use:

SHIFT+M - show main
SHIFT+S - show subobs
Quote from Scawen :Wondered if these would be useful, now that they are available for use:

SHIFT+M - show main
SHIFT+S - show subobs

Yes, why not. It will be useful.
Can we get rid off this annoying limit/restriction message?

I'm trying to add few triangles to LOD2 and it's not letting me, i'm not breaching 8192 tris limit afaik. That's with all LOD2 layers turned on, wouldn't be driving with all of them on anyway. It gives same message if you try to duplicate triangles as well, even though there would be space for them.

Same for LOD1, can't add it, even though it worked in previous patch. I know because i already added those triangles before into the mod and i've tried doing same with D53 and it won't let me.

So i don't know what is going on, it's giving me a headache Ya right
That message is not per LOD, it is a total limit of triangles for a single object, including all LODs. I don't think it can possibly have changed in a recent version. Maybe if some parts of your object's LOD1 could be placed in subobjects you would not hit that limit?
Quote from Scawen :That message is not per LOD, it is a total limit of triangles for a single object, including all LODs. I don't think it can possibly have changed in a recent version. Maybe if some parts of your object's LOD1 could be placed in subobjects you would not hit that limit?

I suppose i could relocate some parts into other objects it's just i was confused because D52 let me merge into main even though it didn't let me to duplicate though. So maybe it was a bug because i tested D52 how much i could merge into one object.

Unmirrored everything so only one side would be visible so limit should be 32768 i guess. On my Reaper when i unmirror everything and enable all layers, tris count is like this: LOD1-32201 LOD2-5198 LOD3-26 = 37425, way above 32768 because before it let me merge more than it should i guess. Also i tried merging as much as i could on D52 and it went to LOD1-60346 LOD2-5198 LOD3-26 = 65570, for single main object if i merge one more triangle, whole mesh disappears.

But in D53 it's fixed so i guess i'll have to figure something out. I was avoiding attachment objects because i thought they would disappear sooner than LOD2 kicks in but if that's not the case then it's good.
You are right there, was a bug fix in D53 related to merging.

In the old version, there was a check line with a bug.

It was like this pseudocode:
if (dest_object.numtris + num_selected > max_tris) ERROR

But should have been and is now:
if (dest_object.numtris + merging_object.numtris > max_tris) ERROR

The first line was simply wrong, as when merging objects it has nothing to do with the number of selected triangles. Basically it was a copy and paste error from the past.

It should be no problem to use subobjects, they are convenient to use. Attachment type objects are fully merged into LOD1 in the game model.
There's not much time left for testing so here are today's editor updates, which I am releasing to get them tested ASAP, although I know there are other things still to do. I hope you will find these updates useful.

Changes in Editor 0.7D54:

Lights tab in Vehicle Editor:

FIX: Subobject lights did not visibly update in editor when adjusted

Modeller:

Merge subobject dialog : use selected layer / keep existing layers
Improved layer selection (tooltips change when CTRL is pressed)
- in orange/yellow mode : CTRL+RMB sets the selected layer
- tri mode : CTRL+LMB - select all triangles in layer

Modeller hotkeys / shortcuts:

Keys to select modes changed to numbers 1 to 8 (without SHIFT)
SHIFT+M / SHIFT+S - show main / show subobs

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/106004
Thanks, everything seems to work fine now. The 1-8 shortcuts are much more convenient
Bug: If a popup light subobject contains an alpha texture, everything behind it is hidden. See the door windows in the attached picture, compared with a normal attachment.
Attached images
lfs_00000439.jpg
lfs_00000440.jpg
A bug which I can't reproduce in 0.7C but at least since 0.7D27:

- in Vehicle Editor, add passengers in one of the default setups
- enable "driver" in bottom right
- change to a different setup without passengers

The passenger models aren't updated in the car until I toggle "driver" off and on again.
Attached images
lfs_00000441.jpg
lfs_00000442.jpg
Quote from Scawen :Mate I have been working 12 to 14 hours a day, please.

It's a no if I remove it from the list.

EDIT: I've removed patch number from that list to avoid misunderstandings.

i apologize if this bothered you in any way it really wasn't my intention, i just wanted to ask if it was still on the "considering" level, sorry
Quote from Flame CZE :Bug: If a popup light subobject contains an alpha texture, everything behind it is hidden. See the door windows in the attached picture, compared with a normal attachment.

Well... I see what you mean, what you'd like to do there.

It's not really a bug, though:
Quote :- no alpha sorting: transparency should only be used for overlays

As stated, it's a restriction in the system. There has not been an attempt to perform alpha sorting with subobjects, and I couldn't see this as being a problem for any conceivable popup headlight.

EDIT: I see that note was for wheel objects, not subobjects. So it's not a stated restriction, although there has never been alpha sorting for movable subobjects. Though that is a funny looking headlight... [yeah, I know people want to use it for other things]

Quote from redekizde :i apologize if this bothered you in any way it really wasn't my intention, i just wanted to ask if it was still on the "considering" level, sorry

No problem, it's easy for me to get frustrated when I'm so tired and pressured, trying to get just enough sleep and keep a clear head.
Quote from Scawen :Well... I see what you mean, what you'd like to do there.

It's not really a bug, though:

As stated, it's a restriction in the system. There has not been an attempt to perform alpha sorting with subobjects, and I couldn't see this as being a problem for any conceivable popup headlight.

EDIT: I see that note was for wheel objects, not subobjects. So it's not a stated restriction, although there has never been alpha sorting for movable subobjects. Though that is a funny looking headlight... [yeah, I know people want to use it for other things]

Ah I understand. Fair enough, I know the system wasn’t intended to be (ab)used like that.

Edit: Popup headlights can have alpha textures if they have a glass light cover, but the issue is much less noticeable.

Main object:

Popup light:
I see, thanks for the example.

I will look to see if I can draw the alpha parts of subobjects just before the alpha of the main object, instead of immediately after each subobject as they have been done until now, which was fine for glass on steering wheels.
Sent a car from editor, but still this message appears. D54 editor version. Uploaded straight after. and file uploaded is a 7z so nothing edited there
Attached images
Skärmbild 2023-12-10 155722.png
This thread is closed

Editor Test Patch D50 (now D64)
(96 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG