The online racing simulator
Creating an alternative path for AI ?
It's just an idea. I don't know if it's possible to do.

Smile The AI has been significantly improved by patch D48, and it's great Thumbs up

However, the path of AI are not always perfect. The speed of the AI is still not adapted to the player's level. Custom tracks do not have AI.

Also, I was wondering if it wasn't possible to create an alternate path for the AI with a replay of the player, like a ghost? The game would record the player's trajectory on a track with a specific car. Then random iterations would be calculated on this trajectory, like with mods.

I'm not talking about changing the way this currently works, but implementing an alternative player-created AI path recording mod, if the player wants, and enable on demand. This alternative mod could also work for custom tracks, and be exchange between players.

If this is too difficult or time-consuming, perhaps a way to modify the AI's paths to correct trajectories and manually change braking, acceleration, and speed per zone would be sufficient. I'm still talking about an alternative mod here and not a replacement for the current system.
It is wayyy too hard to implement like that, as there is required to code of how AI uses data from player use. Also, player can think, AI can not.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :It is wayyy too hard to implement like that, as there is required to code of how AI uses data from player use. Also, player can think, AI can not.

Smile I hope I understand what you're saying, even though I've never practiced programming to this level. In any case, thank you for taking the time to decipher my gibberish Big grin.

The idea here is not to teach the AI to drive like the player. But just that the AI integrates the player's trajectory in the form of data, like the AI currently integrates the layout of the track to define its own trajectory (if that's how it works in LFS?).

The AI would then drive according to its own parameters, as is currently the case. But if possible, with other references of limits. For example for subsequent braking points, reals limits of loss of grip, re-acceleration point etc. This based on a trajectory “more aligned” with that of the player.

I don't know how it would be possible to code it (even explain it in English Big grin), but if it worked, it would be a way to give some resemblance between the AI and the player without the AI needing to learn to think.

---------
Edit:

If anyone is interested in this topic, let me clarify that I don't think LFS's AI is bad. From what I understand, it is a generic AI capable of piloting all types of vehicles. It can be said that a multiplayer game does not need better AI.

The idea I'm talking about here aims to give to LFS AI a kind of extra soul when it drives a specific vehicle, on a specific track: a combo.

For example, since patch D48, the AI is generally more efficient and pleasant to play. Even if the AI is less realistic than before the patch in certain aspects, such as caution. Indeed, before the last patches, the AI refused contact with the player. The AI braked so as not to go off the track if it was stuck against the edge of the track. This attitude was more realistic than today. But the current AI is more pleasant to play, because it is more combative. The problem here is not realism and AI performance. The AI could be hyperrealistic and credible without being adapted to the behaviour of virtual racers. The challenge here is to satisfy the player.

Likewise, a generic AI will not perform equally well on all combos. It would be a waste of time to code it for a multiplayer game like LFS. And with the mod system, it will be crazy.

However, even online racers may want AI more suited to their driving style and performance. For example, to populate servers.

I don't know what it is possible to do in terms of programming with this idea of "framing the AI with a player replay". The idea just seems interesting to me.
Yes, as a person who enjoys racing the AIs, this would be a great addition, however only creating a racing line for custom tracks wouldnt be enough. Things such as track borders would have to be defined for the AI to randomly not hit it. Smile
Quote from subUwU :Yes, as a person who enjoys racing the AIs, this would be a great addition, however only creating a racing line for custom tracks wouldnt be enough. Things such as track borders would have to be defined for the AI to randomly not hit it. Smile

Smile Many racers enjoy racing against AI, for different reasons. Others would like to have a ghost mod to practice with. This solution based on player replay, if it were technically possible to implement, would satisfy many players.
This would also create a dynamic between players on the AI, in particular to make it more competitive on each combo. This would expand the use of custom tracks to solo players. Furthermore, the question of AI will arise if a track editor is developed for LFS, which would be an important addition.
You're right. For custom tracks, demarcation of boundaries and obstacles would be necessary.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG