The online racing simulator
Guide - Keyboard Drifting
(19 posts, started )
Hi,

To the demand of some peoples, I'm going to use my experience in dirfting, mainly with keyboard, to hlep some of the newcomers that wishes to try it. First of all, keyboard is not the ideal device to drift and race with. Since the whole thing is analogic (instant response), it's can be difficult to hold good slides with it. I will try to summarise everything you need to know about that right here.

The Controls

First of all, you need to set your keyboard correctly in order that you have all the essential keys as close as possible. Arrows are okay for the gas/brake and left/right. The rest is up to you but try to use the keys that are as far as possible from those in order not to be squeezed in a small place with two hands. Here are the controls I'd suggest, they may varry a bit depending on what kind of keyboard you have:

Up = Gas
Down = Brake
Left = Turn Left
Right = Turn Right
Space = E-Brake
Q = Clutch
W = Shift Up
S = Shift Dowm

With those controls you should be able to use the whole funtions of the car in no time. Now you have to go to the keyboard settings. Try to adjust them to your liking, but the following controls have proven to be the best ones for drifting:

Keyboard steer : [keyboard - stabilised]
Auto gear shift : [no]
Steer rate 1.00
Return rate 1.00
Fast steer multiplier 2.91
Slow steer multiplier 0.50
Limit multiplier 0.72
Button control rate 6.00

The Technique

I won't go through the zillion of drift techniques around, but all you have to know is; don't stay too long on a key. As the keyboard is analogic, each time you press something is like you go full throttle or full lock. You have to multiple press the controls to avoid a spin. I included a replay to simplify my explanations.
The Setup:

Front Toe: -0.9. Nothing else. With keyboard it is the best way to get a stable setup. Don't ask me why, it's just like that.

Rear Camber: stick to around -0.50 (Live Camber) so that the tires last more than a lap. Also, you should use between 40 and 50 psi for the rear tires, it will make them last longer and you won't feel much difference with your previous setup.

Link to my Drift Setups Thread

I hope it will help someone. I will update the thread with more coerent sentences and a better writing when I have nothing to do.

What excatly are you tying to get across??
i don't understand what he is trying to tell us already. should the tip for drifting kb is to practice and have a feel for it.
Here is another tip if you're a keyboard anything. (Racer/Drifter/Cruiser)

At least use a mouse.
Quote from ans7812 :Here is another tip if you're a keyboard anything. (Racer/Drifter/Cruiser)

At least use a mouse.

i cant control sh!t on mouse so i use kb waiting for dfp but i use all settings maxed out not like 2.95 or something
Funny thing is, I cant drift with a wheel, but I'm a pro at mouse. Take it from me: learn with a mouse, stick with a mouse
i play lfs on my laptop which my school provided me with, so i drift keyboard and not wheel so there is no suspition of me play games ^w^
Side note: When talking about controllers, keyboard is a _digital_, not analog device, since the keys only have 2 possible values, 1 or 0.
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :Funny thing is, I cant drift with a wheel, but I'm a pro at mouse. Take it from me: learn with a mouse, stick with a mouse

I would love to see you able to work the gas pedal smoothly...
I dont think this will help due to people's driving skills and techniques, If they want to learn the ART of drifting then they should start out with a vicious LSD and practice on the Car Park tracks. This will help with response and knowing how to correct the car when it's needed. I dont think you can tell someone in steps on how to drift, this is the way you like it, this does not mean the next person will like it. They have to find what they like and stick to it.
I assume there are other ways of learning the thing, but this is the way I started and I never had problem with it. It's up to you to make the final decision of wether using it or not...
hey. keyboard is digital, not analogic.

edit: sry, someone said it before :doh:
just take the lx6 out on any track, 2nd gear turn in pin the throttle and get the slag to slide, ull get the hang of it eventually, readin guides and watchin vids dont really do much, readin up on setups i would recommend but other than that, lx6, race_s make 2nd gear a little longer and go slide round corners at high speed, once ur any good go find some drift servers and copy their lines, ull learn entry speed angle etc untill then just pin the throttle and light those rear tyres up, sayin that aswell ive been havin great fun in the fxo lately, its a bit unrealistic but sure is good fun tryin to get decent drifts out of it
i'd say LX6 is the car you drive AFTER you mastered XRT...
I'm not trying to troll or anything, but using a mouse is 1000x better.

Set the "Steer centre reduction" thingy to 0, then set your windows sensitivity very low. I have mine set so it take me about 12" of mouse movement from lock to lock. Also turn off mouse acceleration in windows.
Sif 100 steer, 100 return yes, but steer 100 thats just to responsive.
70 all the way :P cant belive i even got involved here.

Nuff said about this thread ey
the xrt is to sloppy and it takes a fair amount of control to get it to drift nice, its easy enough to get it to slide but the lx6 u can get it to slide and correct as much as u need to mid corner whereas the xrt runs out of puff, setups play a big part but if its someone new to this they wont kno how to set cars up, i dont yet and i find the lx6 a lot easier to control
holy hell i just broke my wheel last week and needed tips on this!

it went from a 180 degree wheel to a unlimited degree wheel
Quote from frokki :Side note: When talking about controllers, keyboard is a _digital_, not analog device, since the keys only have 2 possible values, 1 or 0.

vitu nörtti

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG