The online racing simulator
Editor Test Patch 0.7D40
(188 posts, closed, started )
Quote from versiu :...or to have different wheelrim options with each body config.
This update opens whole new world for customizing vehicles.

Yeah I'm working on that right now, but It appears to be finicky. The car looks and acts correctly in LFSE but the wheels are off center not moving in game for me. I need to build more solid single object wheels in Blender for this purpose now, a lot of my wheels are built in LFSE as SRE. I know a way to extract them but I may just start over with some of them.
Attached images
lfswheels.jpg
EDIT: About the colours (hub object customisable colours appearing in list of body colours)

I haven't looked in detail yet but maybe it will be possible for objects set as "hub object" to refer directly to the list of wheel colours instead of the list of body colours.

Now that I type that, it sounds absurdly obvious. But of course there is different code that refers the main model to the list of body colours list, while rim and spoke are referred to the list of wheel colours. I hope that it may be simple enough to make an exception for this special type of subobject, to refer to the list of wheel colours instead.

I would like to go further before checking with you but I can't really look into it in detail today, so I'm posting early in case you spot a flaw with this solution.
Quote from Slashpca :Yeah I'm working on that right now, but It appears to be finicky. The car looks and acts correctly in LFSE but the wheels are off center not moving in game for me. I need to build more solid single object wheels in Blender for this purpose now, a lot of my wheels are built in LFSE as SRE. I know a way to extract them but I may just start over with some of them.

Exact placement of the subobject is not that important in the modeller, what is most important is that the object's origin is in the exact centre point of the hub object.

To be clear - no matter where you position that object, it will be drawn at the position and angle of the nearest wheel.
Quote from Scawen :Exact placement of the subobject is not that important in the modeller, what is most important is that the object's origin is in the exact centre point of the hub object.

To be clear - no matter where you position that object, it will be drawn at the position and angle of the nearest wheel.

I've got it to where the editor snaps the Hub OB to the correct location, moves and acts like a wheel as intended but when I test the mod in LFS proper it's acting as if they were standard subobs. They lose the Hub Ob function. They do not spin, turn and they move with the body as if they were subobs.

Edit: Oh you HAVE to have the latest test patch in LFS, I see. I thought you just meant you needed the latest LFSE test patch to make the hubs. I guess I'll make the mod private until that feature is forced onto all players in game. Id rather not tank the rating on the mod over it.
Quote from Scawen :I haven't looked in detail yet but maybe it will be possible for objects set as "hub object" to refer directly to the list of wheel colours instead of the list of body colours.

That would be great! I hope that's possible.
I did the colours this morning, it was fine.

I've also added a function to export a wheel object from the spoke editor. It multiplies the spoke object by number of spokes and saves it as an SRE in that state (see attached image).

That should be helpful for people who want to convert an SPK style wheel into a hub style wheel.
Attached images
whl_export.jpg
That was quick :o
Many thanks! Omg omg omg
This is a great update, hub object is a great feature to do different rims in configurations.
But unfortunately the default non-removable edge-points (in edit rim) make the variability of rims much smaller, and rims need to be shrunk because of that. It would be great to be able to remove these edges if its possible.
Attached images
MbZNAa60Lb0.jpg
Wf22pufp1R0.jpg
5YGZQvn-5iM.jpg
@Aleksandr_124rus I literally thought of these edges yesterday, but then I thought Scawen is too busy, so I didn't posted.
But that would be great.
I couldn't load fully my MZG 63S rim, I had to cut some parts, because of that inner edge, which is connected to the suspension - I can hide it by lowering the width of the rim and pushing my rim out, but it changes the handling too, so it's not an ideal solution.
Attached images
2023-07-10 17_37_21-Greenshot.jpg
I think you should use the rim editor to model the cross-section of the rim excluding the spokes, then use the spoke editor to only model the spokes excluding the outer rim.
Yes, this is what I did, but I lose some detail of my rim and there are some limitations.
It would be much more intuitive to just load/model your own rim and that's it.
Just an option to hide the rim editor produced inner rim.
Attached images
2.JPG
6.JPG
Quote from Flame CZE :I think you should use the rim editor to model the cross-section of the rim excluding the spokes, then use the spoke editor to only model the spokes excluding the outer rim.

This is not the best solution. This is a oversimplification when it comes to real rims. I don't know how it is seen in the west, but we have a saying that rims are 50% of car beauty (some even saying 80%).
When I was modeling my mods, I studied the theory of rims engineering. In rim design, there is a rim profile. This is an important constructive visualization of the rim that helps when modeling it. And besides that, it was just fun to study (as exampe 1,2). So the rim profile has elements like flange\bead, hump, drop center. And flange\bead cannot be accomplished in rim editor.

You can see that on many rims the flange\bead part (part that adheres to the rubber on the inside) has a curvature of a certain slope and thickness from the tire that forms the visible edge, all this affects the appearance of the rim. This can only be achieved by creating the rim yourself. And when I modeled the rim that I liked based on the parameters of the rim profile I noticed that the bead part starts to go through it, even though the bead is on the rubber in the right place. So it just does not fit the wheel in LFS because of this default non-removable edge. Even though the rim is modeled to the correct specs of rim profile. It was not very pleasant to reduce the diameter of the entire rim because of this, and lose some of its beauty.
Attached images
wheel-rim-profiles-tsc.jpg
wheel_alloy_parts (1).jpg
I understand there is a conflict at the boundary between LFS generated tyre/rim and the user created objects. It's something I need to consider. I can't jump to quick fixes. This is because the tyre generation and profile will change a bit in future and existing mods cannot be broken at that point. Maybe LFS needs some defined profile styles for physically plausible rims, including a proper 3D edge between the rim and the tyre, and/or some way to interface cleanly with user defined rims. The current tyre shape is a compromise, designed a long time ago, so I need to examine how the visual tyre and rim width are produced from the "Rim width" setting in the vehicle editor. I realise there is a resolution issue - some mod creators want to use a lot of triangles around the edge to create a perfectly round appearance, but that is not compatible with the tyre resolution as the LFS tyres can move and they are CPU-expensive to send to the graphics card each frame, even in the new LFS system. No doubt there is a better way to do that too, with a special shader.

I do see the issues as I can see the high quality rims that people want to make, so I have to think about this a while. At this point I think the changes are not in the immediate future, as you know I'm trying to do this full release to get back to the tyre physics, so things will be easier when I only have to work on one version of LFS, and we all get the benefit of the new graphics.

Anyway, for today there is a new update, D40. Smile

Vehicle editor:

Hub object custom colours now appear in the list of wheel colours

Modeller:

Reflect object function is now available for individual subobjects
Combined clean object buttons into a single button with a dialog
Spoke mode "export SRE" saves combined spokes as a modeller object
Spoke mode "import SRE" function to load modeller object as a spoke

Download: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/102626
Quote from Scawen :I understand there is a conflict at the boundary between LFS generated tyre/rim and the user created objects.

Maybe as temporary solution you can make something like "Hide rim depth/Draw rim depth" function, which simply just disable draw of LFS rim till we wait for new physics?
I was trying to explain how quick fixes on this could turn out to be a bad idea, because of the problems they might cause further down the line. But as I haven't thought everything through, I can't be exactly specific about what type of issues will arise. It's not something I can do without thinking through and examining carefully.
I just got an idea (probably a silly one Tongue):
Can we have our custom gauges shown in the follow view too: Uhmm Big grin

Edit: But that will require another (transparent) version of it... which means an another texture...
Attached images
2023-07-13 00_23_17-Greenshot.jpg
2023-07-13 00_23_17-Greenshot13.png
Quote from Evolution_R :I just got an idea (probably a silly one Tongue):
Can we have our custom gauges shown in the follow view too: Uhmm Big grin

Edit: But that will require another (transparent) version of it... which means different texture...

I think it is like that on the new version (judging from the Editor since it is using partly the new graphics.)
I mean the gauges drawn in the corners of the screen. Big grin
Something I noticed that changed since D36 (or D37):
In the EDIT textures screen, when you pressed CTRL, the texture preview would get bigger, but it no longer does.
Attached images
2023-07-15 23_19_00-Greenshot.jpg
2023-07-15 23_19_04-Greenshot.jpg
@Scawen License plate is not shown if its behind a glass or windscreen. It can look good on some drift cars and such.

https://imgur.com/1TGZD5V
As you can see, its showing on edit mode but,

https://imgur.com/EO3XN3r
not showing when you hit esc. Tried to move the cutout in the list both up and down but when i hit esc it comes back to last of the list again.
Quote from AR92 :@Scawen License plate is not shown if its behind a glass or windscreen. It can look good on some drift cars and such.

https://imgur.com/1TGZD5V
As you can see, its showing on edit mode but,

https://imgur.com/EO3XN3r
not showing when you hit esc. Tried to move the cutout in the list both up and down but when i hit esc it comes back to last of the list again.

Have you tried changing s_plate_alp to Alpha test?
Quote from superlame :Have you tried changing s_plate_alp to Alpha test?

Yeah, even it reverts it back to regular alpha when i hit ESC.
how i can get new version of that?
Quote from kenork :how i can get new version of that?

The download link is at the bottom of the first post.
anybody can help me?
i cant go lfs editor because its say could not load humans what i do?
This thread is closed

Editor Test Patch 0.7D40
(188 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG