The online racing simulator
Problems with skins [SOLVED]
(14 posts, started )
#1 - Cr45h
Hi all... Yeasterday I bought S2 licence, unlocked it on my pc and started to play...

It works correctly, except for a problem with skins....

Normally, the skin of other players is downloaded automatically, but, when i'm connected to a server and the game try to download the skin of the other gamers, it says:"SKIN: Unknow file transfer error", and so i haven't the skins of other players...

How i can solve this problem?

Thank u... and sorry for english...
This is probably something to do with the way you are connected to the internet.

Are you on a network which shares an internet connection, or do you have your own connection?
What kind of firewall or router are you using, if any?

As much info as possible about your connection may help people here to identify the problem.
#3 - Cr45h
So... I have an ADSL connection... I'm behind a router, but it hasn't any kind of port blocking... I have a firewall software... Sygate.... Maybe some config of this can block it... it's possible... But, don't know how... And... I think it's all...

This is a screen of security options i have on it...

If it can help...
Attached images
security options firewall.jpg
This problem looks a lot like firewall issue. Maybe you could completely disable it and check if the skin downloading works. And you could aslo take screenie of a "general" tab in your FW settings.
#5 - t1ger
Hi Cr45h,

I have just downloaded and installed Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6 so I can talk with some knowledge now. It looks like you have the full licensed version to have all those options. With the free version I don't have the option of setting them all, however, you may want to do the following to troubleshoot this:

Right click the Sygate icon in the notify tray (bottom right next to the clock) and click Exit Firewall. This will close Sygate down altogether and take it out of the equation.

If this does not allow you to download skins, then it is something else (like maybe a firewall on your router).

If this does allow skins to download, then have a look at the attached options, as I know these work as this is how they are set on mine here and I have been able to download skins.

The General tab does not have any settings which could affect this either, it is just cosmetic app settings. From what I can tell, this app just blocks or allows at application level, so an application is either allowed or denied, so if you have enabled LFS.exe it should work. The only thing I can think is the Intrusion Prevention is blocking it - but I am not convinced.

Let us know how you get on with this.

Tim
Attached images
sygate options.JPG
#6 - Cr45h
Ok... I've tried to make my firewall on "Allow all" Mode, with right clickingo on icon, and, in effect... the skins are downloaded... So, this is the problem... It's the security options that has to be set correclty to work with LFS...

The problem is... What are the options that block LFS for download the skin?
OK... I don't know about Sygate but all I can say is that LFS uses the standard http download to get skins. But when it downloads the skins it claims to be "LFS" (not IE or Firefox or whatever).

So (and this is only a guess) maybe your internet security when switched on only allows particular browsers to use the http protocol. Maybe you can add "LFS" as a browser or something like that?
#8 - t1ger
As far as I can tell, Sygate has three options for LFS.EXE (and indeed any exe or dll trying to get through it). These are:

Allow (which is how I set it when I tested),
Block (which blocked it completely - even from listing the available servers) or
Ask (which asks the first time what it should do - ie allow or block) Note: what ever you answer here, stays for the duration of the session, until Sygate is closed and re-loaded.

You can not block LFS from accessing port 80 while allowing it access to another port - it is all or nothing.

Cr45h, you will have to try the security settings one by one. Turn Intrusion Prevention off ONLY and try it. If it does not work, turn it back on again and try turning the next option off. Repeat this until you find the answer. We know that it is this software causing it, and so we know it is one of these settings.

Good luck.

Tim
#9 - Krane
There are more options for a application, you can access these by click "applications..." in the right click menu of sygate icon in the systray. Or from the tools menu from the main application. You should try go there and remove the entry or entries for LFS. Then go online, remember to click SHIFT+F4 as the firewall should ask for permission.

I have Sygate Personal Firewall v5.6, but I don't see any option why it would not work. Other than you have blocked access to port 80 for LFS.

Other option is that you are in a school dorm, company lan or with a really crappy ISP that needs all www traffic to go through a proxy.

http://www.proxydetect.com/

See if that displays some other IP than your own or your router, or if the headers have attributes like "via" or "X-Forwarded-For" or "X-Bluecoat-Via"
Solved guys... After I set "allow all" I've started to play, it worked correctly, and after a half an hour the connection has been lost, and I can't do anything...

So i decided to make a scan of C: and founded 2 trojans... Cleaned it, now i've tried with Sygate on Normal and it downloaded skins normally...

Prob, one of 2 trojans blocked LFS... LOL... Like a noob... thinking about what kind of prob... A stupid trojan...

So, there isn't any particulary config to do on fw to works correctly, just checking that computer is clean of stupidities... (sorry for english)
Glad its fixed - and sorry for the mis-information . Thanks for correcting me Krane.

Tim
Sry only saw this now.
Just wanna say sygate was my firewall for about 3 and a half years of lfs.
Never had a single prob with it.
And i had quite an amount of advanced rules.
Its cpu usage is quite high though...
Hmmm.... Too early to say that's solved... Now i'm online as usual, but there's the error... always the same... don't know why... uff... damn....
Lol... Found the problem...

The option "Enable Stealth mode browsing" has to be UNchecked...

Now, it's really solved...

Thanks at all....

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG