The online racing simulator
Swearing = Autokick
On a few servers, I have noticed that the server automatically kicks people for swearing. Could anyone tell me how to set my server up to do the same? Also, is there a way I can set up word censoring, so that certain words are blocked out before the messages appear?
A filter isn't possible.

The kicking thing can be done with LFS Lapper.
Quote from duke_toaster :A filter isn't possible.

The kicking thing can be done with LFS Lapper.

Is that a patch?
I think that's a bad idea. Let people say what they want to say. Come on, we're not in China for christ's sake!
Quote from SkyNet :I think that's a bad idea. Let people say what they want to say. Come on, we're not in China for christ's sake!

But we may be in the presence of smaller members of our families. And since when did obsenity become such an irreplaceable part of human vocabulary anyway? Sure if I stub my toe, lose control of my car, or forget to do something really important I'll let a 'colorful metaphor' slip, but otherwise I try to maintain a degree of politeness at all times.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from SkyNet :I think that's a bad idea.

I think that´s a good idea.

ffs!

Crazy Harry has left the server...
I'll swear in front of people once I comfortable in the knowledge that I won't offend them, and that it's not too much. But until then, in both game chat, voice chat and real life I keep swearing to a minimum.

A filter would be a good thing, especially if it's an option.
I try not to swear, because I think it really sounds silly sometimes. But, if you crash, then what is wrong with going "OH SHIT?"
-
Swearing, in general, is a show of lack in vocabulary. Sure, i might slip away some "not-allowed-for-television" rants, once in a while.
I feel, however, that from the point of saying "-Oh Sh*t, i crashed!" to actually pressing T, typing it and pushing enter.. well.. i feel it better to just have a key designated with "Ooops!" "Ouch!" or "That´ll leave a mark in the morning" is more appropriate.

And in the same way it kind of makes the situation easier to handle than your regular "S@€€$$½½ nooob-crasher!" Which just might be recognized as offensive for some people...

I´m happy to say that SDRA is a Zero-Foul-mouth-tolerance Team.

OT: People look funny at me, when i tell them my brother is a christian..
"-But you curse and rant from time to time?"
"-Yes i do.. In the proper surroundings. Like this S**tb*x Computer of mine...
yeah i think swearing is okay in moderation. just like salt or cinnamon.

^^ is your avatar of a navel orange? i'd like to use it on other forums lol.
Stubbing your toe or something of that matter, is one thing to blurt out an explicive. During typing chat on a keyboard, is it really neccessary? To hit "t" and type it out on a keyboard for chat in an online game takes thought in what you are typing. Therefore it really isn't the same as stubbing your toe, BAM, Ah.. F.... And yes, you'd be surprised how well my 5 yr old daughter can drive a car in LFS. She may be driving online against some of you. But being 5 years old, she may have a tendency to wack into you in a corner or something. It is not neccessary to exclaim "Ah...F..." when that is usually a quick surprise response to stubbing your toe, not a thought out response to type out on a keyboard to a 5 year old.

Ok, my 5 yr old doesn't race online. She does play with LFS though. But what about that father who says, "go ahead and try it out. I'll check it out with you" when that 12 year old goes online with the LFS demo for the first time to try to talk dad into buying a license for him. Then that father sees a bunch of morons swearing and acting like idiots in the game and bans his son from joining this passion of sim racing we (mostly adults) have.
its good...
when some1 calls anybody motherf.... or stuff like that thats a kick...
for shit or staff like that nothing.. the "light" words r ok but yea there alot of stuff that makes me wanting that option.
I don't use TS much, but I did when I was in vMax. Kirves used to connect to, but he is a very quiet guy.

Most of the race we'd just hear his FFB motor complaining as he twirled the wheel, and occasionally he'd just say (quite loudly) 'Aahhh SHIT', then offer a brief explanation like 'I spun' or 'Sorry'.

Not actually that funny I know, but at the time the contrast between silence and swearing was quite comedic.
-
Quote from thisnameistaken :I always thought it looked more like a burn victim's puckered butthole but maybe that's just the way my imagination works. Yes it is an orange, found in my mother's fruitbowl one day, long since eaten. Use it if you like.

You ate it? That explains a lot!
#16 - Jakg
it's alright, however i have had an experience with one on a demo server a few days ago, and after being completely taken out i said "what are you playing at you idiot?" and got kicked - which seems a little bit heavy-handed!
#17 - Gunn
I kick people if they don't swear by T4.
Quote from Wuzzie :Swearing, in general, is a show of lack in vocabulary

You don't know as many swearwords as I do
#19 - SamH
When the UKCT lot race together, we use TS. We all know each other, and we tend to swear at each other a lot. Our bud Steve decided to make a compilation of soundbites from one of our race nights. DO NOT CLICK HERE unless you're prepared for some profanity
I think a profanity filter is a much better idea than an auto-kick. The way it's implemented in several online games that I've played is that by default any word that matches the filter just shows up as gibberish, as if the person had typed, "You kaodwim goat-kissing son of a laothesjkclr!" whereas if you prefer, you can turn the censorship off and see the beautiful blasphemy in all its glory.

Quote from Wuzzie :Swearing, in general, is a show of lack in vocabulary.

Quote from Theafro :You don't know as many swearwords as I do

Quote from Gunn :I kick people if they don't swear by T4.

lol I'd be in for a perm ban racing with you then.

~*~*~*~tinyk~*~*~*~
Filter or autokick, it won't work. From what I learnt about Artificial Intelligence in university, I'm confident that a computer program is no match for human creativity when it comes to swearing.
it wont be perfect of course instead of gay u say g@y or ghey or whatever.
but...since u r used to write them "right" it will reduce it.
i like that option from enemy territory where u get automuted for a certain time (config setting how long it will be usually 1 min) and that mostly works and they stop swearing after that
#24 - shim
IRL i swear heaps.. online its bout half as much, but its insane with how much i do swear.. im surrounded all the time with it from work, mates and other ppl.. so before i start playin im usually kicked from a LFS lapper server.. :P
Swearing = Autokick / Word Censoring
I think there should be a feature which allows certain words to be blocked out from messages, or for messages containing them to be blocked.
-

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG