The online racing simulator
schneefee:

Quote :Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkunk
if the first goal is to finish the race and the second goal to win it then there won't be so many useless and brainless now-or-never maneuvers and increasingly fair driving which definitely the majority of drivers will enjoy more.

just look at league races. if that works during 1-3 hour races why should it be different during a 5-10 lap race?

i was refering to this post from you.
I cannot agree, bcos: something that works in a 2 hours Race, must not work in a sprint race. Sprintracing is much more aggresive, and thats why it requires sometimes socalled "brainless now or never maneuvers". It depends in the skill of the drivers then if those maneuvers work out well. Unfortunatly most racers are doing such actions above their own skill level which leads to such topics.

i understand what you are saying but personally i disagree. to me a race is a race. driving more or less aggressively has not much to do with clean and fair driving per se. i want to finish the race, i want to take home the points. if someone races without any consideration for other drivers simply because there are only a few laps to go i call that unsportive and reckless behaviour as well as outside race rules. brainless driving is never required or acceptable no matter the skill level or race length.

being able to accurately evaluate ones own ability to execute demanding maneuvers succesfully is obviously a tricky thing :-)

regards
Quote from Gentlefoot :I'm 100% with you on this one. Saw a guy the other day competing in a 60 lap race. A back marker pulled out of the pits and instead of lifting this guy tried to make the pass mid corner at full speed with out so much as a lift. They both crashed and he blamed the back marker. I personally would have lifted - lost the half second - so what, and passed SAFELY. I felt the fast guy was 100% repsonsible for this accident.

/Me hides

I completely agree in the curcumstance of a real race, like this 60 lapper that if someone is just slower or whatever but still racing others that they shouldn't drasticly move out of the way, but in this race alot of people had accidents and at the exit of the pits most laps I was passing people waiting to enter the track as they were in no hurry, but this guy just pulled right out and me expecting him to realise someone was coming I just carried on as I had no problems like this earlier on. I never watched the replay again as I never got it but I should have let off but at the time I didn't see the need, as at the time I was catching all of those infront and actually in the race, where as he was just there to drive around.

However if your in a 5 laps race (Say Bl Gti) and someone joins mid race, I do think it is nessisary for them not to hold up the leaders at all and get off the racing line as they are not exactly racing anyone and in most cases just learning the track and car before they get in the next "real" race. It's a mistake you see often, someone starting a combo for the 1st time, you overtake them on a straight and they just dive down the inside and take you or someone else out because they don't know the braking points.
It really doens't bother me at all with people spamming hte blue flag since I ca'nt hear the message sounds anyway.

It does get under my skin a little bit when people use the blueflag spam during qualifying.

Gimme a break, if I'm on my outlap and you're on your hotlap, I'll be a monkey's uncle before I move over for you. That's part of the beauty of time-restricted qualifying, you find a gap that gives you clear air, and you go balls to the wall. Keyword there being FINDING, not having people giving you clear air.
Quote from Borbor :It really doens't bother me at all with people spamming hte blue flag since I ca'nt hear the message sounds anyway.

It does get under my skin a little bit when people use the blueflag spam during qualifying.

Gimme a break, if I'm on my outlap and you're on your hotlap, I'll be a monkey's uncle before I move over for you. That's part of the beauty of time-restricted qualifying, you find a gap that gives you clear air, and you go balls to the wall. Keyword there being FINDING, not having people giving you clear air.

good point, +1
#80 - Goop
I'll give them clean air; I try to be a gentleman racer
Quote from Borbor : Gimme a break, if I'm on my outlap and you're on your hotlap, I'll be a monkey's uncle before I move over for you. That's part of the beauty of time-restricted qualifying, you find a gap that gives you clear air, and you go balls to the wall. Keyword there being FINDING, not having people giving you clear air.

More sporting behaviour from you, I see Borbor.

On this one actually I can see your argument, but it seems I just don't regard the atmosphere of competition in LFS as being as high-stakes as you do. On an in-lap or out-lap (or an already-screwed-up hotlap ) I would certainly move over for a clearly faster driver during a qualifying session.
#82 - Jakg
Quote from Borbor :Gimme a break, if I'm on my outlap and you're on your hotlap, I'll be a monkey's uncle before I move over for you. That's part of the beauty of time-restricted qualifying, you find a gap that gives you clear air, and you go balls to the wall. Keyword there being FINDING, not having people giving you clear air.

what a nice person you are, if the limit is THAT important, then why did you pit (you said outlap), i find that kind of tactic unfair and underhanded, seeing as someone holding me up for just one corner could be the difference between 1st and 5th
Quote from Borbor :Gimme a break, if I'm on my outlap and you're on your hotlap, I'll be a monkey's uncle before I move over for you. That's part of the beauty of time-restricted qualifying, you find a gap that gives you clear air, and you go balls to the wall. Keyword there being FINDING, not having people giving you clear air.

Those could have been Schumi's thoughts when he parked his car on-track during the Monaco qualy...
#84 - Gunn
Quote from Borbor :That's part of the beauty of time-restricted qualifying, you find a gap that gives you clear air, and you go balls to the wall. Keyword there being FINDING, not having people giving you clear air.

While your tyres are cold and you have no chance of posting a decent time anyway, you would hold up a person who is on their hot lap? You are deliberately ruining another person's hotlap and their chance at a pole position or good grid position. You are deliberately spoiling his chance at a good qualifying time by blocking his progress on your potentially slowest lap. In real life this can attract a severe penalty and is often a contentious issue between drivers.
I agree with Gunn, qualifying rules as I understand them require you to let faster cars pass unless you are on your hotlap yourself, so you have to yield on outlap, inlap and any lap where you are not at full speed.
But I want to point out that this also means that a slower driver on his hotlap does NOT have to give way to faster people. Thats where it is up to the faster drivers to find a clear lap.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG