The online racing simulator
Test Patch A13 - Various updates
(57 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Scawen :Thanks, yes I am really looking forward to releasing the new physics and graphics.

One of the worst things for me is that any changes I do in the public version, I have to copy to the development version. So after any heavy session of coding, there is a lot of code merging as well. It feels like driving with the brakes on or swimming with a parachute. I am so slowed by this awful situation of maintaining two different but similar code bases.

I obviously did not know many years ago, when I separated it into two versions, that there would be MANY updates in the public version. It wasn't a situation I took lightly, it was becoming too hard to keep two versions of physics in the same code. But I had known the future, I would have taken a different decision.

So I'm looking forward to that chapter of my life to be over. It really makes it hard to add anything new and major, because there is so much code merging to be done.

I really hope that the process of development of physics will accelerate. To be honest, I don't understand anything in physics at all, but for me this is the best thing on the market. Few people can come close to your product in terms of the quality of physics. So the big question for me is what is wrong there? But you are the creator of your masterpiece, you see all the nuances. I hope that further development will not be long in coming and will not drag on for 2-10 years. I just want not much cosmetic quality in terms of visual graphics. Tire tracks on asphalt, grass and dirt. Live track, I understand that it is unrealistically difficult and will be hidden. Because there are many unfinished stages. I wish you success in all these stages. And find the best effective solutions to issues.!
Quote from Scawen :I don't have a plan for that as my main focus is to release what we have as an official version ASAP (early in the week). As always, there are a lot of things (maybe hundreds) that are important to different people but I can't do many of them, as each small thing takes a long time.

I really have to stop working on the mods, so I can sort out the tyre physics and then we can release the new graphics. So there has to be an end. And I still have a couple of important things on my list.

Anyway, is there an appropriate InSim packet that your requested data values could be squeezed into? It's always a lot easier to use some unused bytes, compared with adding a new packet or extending an existing one.

Understandable.

I see the OutGaugePack has a spare bit available. Seeing all the packets and spare bits, i couldn't find any better solution than the bits for the OutGaugePack. Unless anyone else has a better solution?
I see DL_OILWARN is there, I've done some testing with it but has found out that it does nothing (unless i am missing something?) Perhaps it was just reserved for later use? My proposal is to use oilwarn (if not used for anything) and the spare, for clutch slip and engine damage.

// DL_x - bits for OutGaugePack DashLights and ShowLights

enum
{
DL_SHIFT, // bit 0 - shift light
DL_FULLBEAM, // bit 1 - full beam
DL_HANDBRAKE, // bit 2 - handbrake
DL_PITSPEED, // bit 3 - pit speed limiter
DL_TC, // bit 4 - TC active or switched off
DL_SIGNAL_L, // bit 5 - left turn signal
DL_SIGNAL_R, // bit 6 - right turn signal
DL_SIGNAL_ANY, // bit 7 - shared turn signal
DL_OILWARN, // bit 8 - oil pressure warning
DL_BATTERY, // bit 9 - battery warning
DL_ABS, // bit 10 - ABS active or switched off
DL_SPARE, // bit 11
DL_NUM
};

Quote from Scawen :Thanks, yes I am really looking forward to releasing the new physics and graphics.

One of the worst things for me is that any changes I do in the public version, I have to copy to the development version. So after any heavy session of coding, there is a lot of code merging as well. It feels like driving with the brakes on or swimming with a parachute. I am so slowed by this awful situation of maintaining two different but similar code bases.

I obviously did not know many years ago, when I separated it into two versions, that there would be MANY updates in the public version. It wasn't a situation I took lightly, it was becoming too hard to keep two versions of physics in the same code. But I had known the future, I would have taken a different decision.

So I'm looking forward to that chapter of my life to be over. It really makes it hard to add anything new and major, because there is so much code merging to be done.

maybe I already forgot, but it seems, according to your words, you just have different physical folders with the code. and I have a suspicion that you either have no or very little experience with git. since this tool makes it very easy to work when merging code from different branches. it also allows you to quickly switch to different versions of the code, even when you put a tag on the release version of the game you can switch to this tag to catch errors submitted by users. sorry if it's wrong.

also, if you are already using git, it would be very informative to display commit messages in some branch for users who believe in you and hope that physics and graphics will be released in the next 10 years =) I still believe in the release of VW Scirocco
Git isn't magic though. If Scawen has completely rearchitected how physics works with everything, that merge is still hell.

It sounds like Scawen has _some_ method of archiving, as that's how he was able to rebuild the LX8 version of LFS and release it officially.
scawen, i have a quest, when we wanna have the night mode and the south city expantion?
Im one of the weirdos who uses force viewer in garage when making a setup, it used to be shortcut F but now its a shortcut for front view, can we get another shortcut? Thanks
Thank you all for the testing and feedback!

Version 0.7B is now available.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/97376

Quote from kristofferandersen :I see the OutGaugePack has a spare bit available. Seeing all the packets and spare bits, i couldn't find any better solution than the bits for the OutGaugePack. Unless anyone else has a better solution?

Quote from neonmateo :Im one of the weirdos who uses force viewer in garage when making a setup, it used to be shortcut F but now its a shortcut for front view, can we get another shortcut? Thanks

I made a note of these requests. It was important to get 0.7B out as soon as possible, for all the fixes and to support the new public review system. I still have quite a few things on paper here, both compatible and incompatible things. I'll be considering them to see if we need one more patch on the mods subject before I get stuck into the tyre physics.
This thread is closed

Test Patch A13 - Various updates
(57 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG