The online racing simulator
Poly Parvus
(13 posts, started )
Poly Parvus
This is the Poly Parvus, an aesthetic looking compact car. Powered by a 1300cc V4 engine. Yes, a V4 engine. It delivers 96 kW and 138 Nm to the rear wheels.

About development: My friend wanted to make a little car game with his group, but the group cancelled the game. So I used his model for this mod he made in blender (to make it clear, he gave permission to use his model). Now it needs tuning, texturing (when I find out how to do mirrors, headlights and tail lights and the speedometer) and steering wheel modelling (when I find out how to make a steering wheel).
Attached images
image_2021-12-19_002926.png
image_2021-12-19_003653.png
Due to low ratings of this mod, the development of the mod is cancelled and there is little to no chance of the development to continue.
I don't get why you're so offended - you uploaded a car,that consists practically from lego building blocks and doesn't feature even the simplest features needed for usable car. You should have kept it private and if you want to show developement process,post some updates here occasionally,ask for help if needed. And not upload an unfinished car and wait for high ratings.
Also - if the high ratings is the only reason why you made it,you should not even start it. People should build their cars because they want them to build and not to make yourself popular.
Quote from Eclipsed :I don't get why you're so offended - you uploaded a car,that consists practically from lego building blocks and doesn't feature even the simplest features needed for usable car. You should have kept it private and if you want to show developement process,post some updates here occasionally,ask for help if needed. And not upload an unfinished car and wait for high ratings.
Also - if the high ratings is the only reason why you made it,you should not even start it. People should build their cars because they want them to build and not to make yourself popular.

It's not that I'm offended, I have stuff in real life so I might not make mods for a long time. Also, I don't really care about high ratings, but I'm not going to lie the low rating demotivates a bit.
Then imagine you're an average LFS user in server,who finds your car in the list and makes a first drive,what would be your thoughts? If you say "It's a great car,I'm gonna use it very often",then I'll call you a liar! It has no textures,no mirrors and it consists of blocks,you cannot even change color of it. That's why the low rating - people just rate the car AS IS and not how it might in future be.
Good point, fair enough.
well, if a server is set to allow such unfinished cars then it is not really the creators fault.

Currently the car deserves its low rating for the reason Eclipsed explained.
However, this is a self-made model and most technical stuff is there. (all lights, steering, wheel, license plate, coloring, mirrors, cockpit gauges etc) As far I see, only skin support is missing.
So you get my respect for getting that far!

It is nice to see the progress of modders and how many people are experimenting with the mod system. Personally I find this car more interessting/impressive than yet another XRT with tweaked stats.

On one hand, I would not like the mods list to be cluttered with lots of low quality entries.
But I also think these cars should have their place in LFS. Not everyone had experience with modeling before LFS mod support came out. People need to be able to share their work. Maybe learning modders should just keep all their early work on their computer or delete it...but why not share it? What is the worst that could happen? This model's origin story is perfect example: It was made for another game, but that game was never finished. It collected virtual dust on some forgotten HDD for years and now it finally comes to life in LFS. So beautiful, much wow, very car!
----

On the car itself:
This is likely never to be a super pretty car, but the low-polygon-look has its own charme. It fits the aesthics of some layout tracks tracks, the ones with lots of blocky concrete elements. Like an old video game but in LFS.

Blocky cars for blocky roads! Interstate '76 feel.

I suggest to add some finishing touches, like bit better cockpit displays, but overall keep the style. Not sure if more textures would actually improve it. Add some fitting rims, maybe.

Some things:
-license plate is sometimes flickering from certain angles/distances
(Looks like Z-fighting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting , is it maybe be too far back into the chasis instead of on top?)
-more normal steering-wheel instead of..this plane-style yoke thing?
-engine is bit high RPM?
-chasis casts no shadows but the wheels do
Attached images
polycar.jpg
#8 - jujek
i like this but that time what i drove it feels like ffb is broken while drifting
I like this car as well, I’d like to see more of these poly lineup. My kid loves to play with these fun cars
it drives really good , i kinda like this , doesnt fit in very well with other lfs graphics but the driving is good
new steering wheel is better than the old airplane yoke, but too small.
Compare it with the hands, it is only 3 hands wide or so. Hands animation is actually good though.

The rear lights can disappear into the chasis when the rear is damaged:

Sometimes that actually gives a nice effect ("lights destroyed in crash") but sometimes it looks bit strange.

When viewed from above, the level of detail changes to a solid colored block.

red&orange are Poly Parvus. White is a FT28R mod car with same problem.
Other cars are a default XRT, RR07, UZM 1700 TURBO: They still show some rough details (front window etc) at that distance.
Attached images
Zwischenablage01.jpg
Zwischenablage01.jpg
This car needs a skin and mapping in low-LOD model to look fine, as Gutholz points out.

To me it reminded the aesthetics of Polybridge game. Low-poly, simple and cute.
After some time of inactivity, I decided to cancel the development of this mod as I don't have time for LFS in general not to mention mod making. Thank you for all the comments and feedback!

Going to keep the vehicle and the mod file download public.

Wish you all a great time on LFS!

Poly Parvus
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG