The online racing simulator
#1 - FIZ
Why this car PLM1 by ELDemon is invisible for me but visible for others?

Honestly, I don't get it nor understand what is going on.

I tried as logged, unlogged, Chrome, Firefox, adblocks disabled, home and work computers and smartphone: nothing, I never saw this car.

My friend (who sent me that screenshot) instead can normally select the car in the game and drive it, as I have seen it going around on various servers. He sees it everywhere on the website, on any browser etc, but he must be logged in.

This PLM1 car's address page (http://www.lfs.net/files/vehicles/D1EBAD) redirects me to the vehicles home page.
It was published, updated, rated, downloaded, but nobody is talking about it in the forum, not even ELDemon that created specific forum threads for each mod he also created but this one.

Apart from understanding how ELDemon can work on so many mods at the same time, what is going on here really?
Attached images
D1EBAD.jpg
Because it's private / custom access - only specific users can use it, which are added by name by the author of the mod. Check the access status.
Attached images
1.JPG
2.JPG
k.JPG
Smile Glad to hear some interest in this car, still working on the mapping for skins and doing some texturing, not long before I consider public release.
#4 - FIZ
Case closed, this quickly?
Cmon guys, this mistery was fascinating.. I lost today 2 hours minimum banging my head around it.

Problem is that my friend was added by the author unknowingly, so he just thought the car was uploaded publicly.

There is not real indication on this website and on the game that the mod is in fact "private".
He was essentially unknowingly a beta-tester for this car.
I have never been more active on a forum ever, by mid-November I read so many threads, but I have surely missed the purpose of a private mod.. I thought the "approve" system by LFS staff, based on the car's rating, was enough.

I summon you, Scawen and Victor, to make more clear a mod is private possibly even while driving it around.
In Italy we need by law to add a very big "P" (for "Principiante") at the rear window of any car that is driven by a new driver.

On the website, at LEAST something in the mod homepage, otherwise how can I be aware this thing is private?
Attached images
photo_2022-01-26_15-43-12.jpg
neopatentati.jpg
#5 - FIZ
Quote from ELDemon :Smile Glad to hear some interest in this car, still working on the mapping for skins and doing some texturing, not long before I consider public release.

You are lucky there are already very good mods, so I cannot be bored anytime soon, otherwise I would heavily stalk you to have that car asap Big grin

Tnx ELDemon, your work is very appreciated.
@FIZ it must say Access - Public, this way you know it's public, if it says private or custom - it means it's private in both cases.

Custom - private for a group of people;
Private - private for the author of the mod;
#7 - FIZ
Quote from Evolution_R :Because it's private / custom access - only specific users can use it, which are added by name by the author of the mod. Check the access status.

I posted just after your post.. thank you very much.

SO, "access = custom" means "Private maybe with others".

Dang.

I propose the term "Reserved", cause "Custom" was not an alarming word for me.

Anyway, in the game is there any way to understand if a car I see can be seen by everybody else?
My friend just thought I was crazy or there was some LFS bug we were ready to report, cause it was the first time it happened to us and maybe the same misunderstanding could happen to others.
In LFS mods list, there is an info button saying "public", "custom" or "private" at each mod.
But if the mod is custom or private, and you don't have access (most often the case) then the mod doesn't appear in the LFS list at all. And on the website, you don't get any information about the mod either and just get redirected to the mods list.
Well yes, that's the point of a restricted access mod, that only a group of people can see it and use it. Or would it make sense to make them visible on the website ans on the mod list in LFS, just not drivable?
Teasing ! Flame Wink
Quote from Flame CZE :Well yes, that's the point of a restricted access mod, that only a group of people can see it and use it.

Of course, just pointing out that:
Quote from Flame CZE :In LFS mods list, there is an info button saying "public", "custom" or "private" at each mod.

is not really relevant because we don't see that.
Quote from PeterN :
is not really relevant because we don't see that.

It was an answer to this question, I should've quoted it, sorry Shy

Quote :Anyway, in the game is there any way to understand if a car I see can be seen by everybody else?

#14 - FIZ
I thank you all for the replies, but I have to explain better what happened, quickly:

- my friend told me about this amazing new mod.
- great! gonna use.. wait I cannot see it Frown
- the duck? how?!?
- I swear on my tires, nowhere for me!!!
* follow hours of testing things, changing computers, browsers, etcetera, then this forum thread. *

The point is: if you do NOT know that a mod was privately shared with you, this could happen again.

In my opinion, having only "access: custom" inside the mod page is too few and could be a lot more visible in thousand of easy ways (just a page background color change, for istance) and possibly also in the game.

This is the only thing I can slightly complain about the great new mod system, everything is better and better after each update.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG