The online racing simulator
Model sources - which are OK to use and which are not accepted
Hello,

many of you might be waiting for this, as there has been some confusion about what model sources are reliable for publishing in LFS and which are not.

After some weeks of research, we've established some sites, which should be generally safe to use. There is no way to ensure that your model will be 100% accepted, even with these sources, although they give fair chance and are using terms of service favourable for LFS modding.
Still, you are responsible for checking the license and model origin thoroughly, as even these sites are full of models ripped from other games and uploading such model does to LFS not grant its publishing or stay among the mods, if it's found illegal retrospectively.

Each site has their terms of use, which under their conditions allows the use of on-site materials externally.
Creative Commons are usually listed on sketchfab and blendswap. You have to find the right license on the model site and apply it in the mod submission wizard, when creating a submission in LFS.
Royalty free license basically means you cannot request any payment for others to access your model. CGTrader, 3dlancer and 3dcadbrowser allow this use of models.
No derivatives allowed means that you cannot make any changes to the model and noone else can make any changes to the model you have submitted to LFS - applies only for CGTrader, 3dlancer, free3d and 3dcadbrowser websites with their Royalty free license.

There are exceptions to non-derivatives. Those are Creative Commons licenses BY-ND and BY-NC-ND. These are not allowed within LFS mods (see attachment - selecting this license in dropdown menu will not let you proceed).

Editorial license is not usable. This license lets you use the materials only for educational purposes or newsworthy occasions.

You have to choose the correct item from the dropdown menu in the mod submission wizard. Some sources have license specific to their website; that should be clear when you see the license dropdown menu (see attachment).

Also, as we have seen few times over the first few months, some tried to circumvent the review system by uploading the model to the OK website and then immediately sending it for review. This is observed as well and we reserve any right to not publish a mod, if there is a doubt about its origin.

Now without further delay:

Acceptable sources for LFS mods:
Quote :Automation game - CC BY-NC-SA

Sites where SOME models are OK for LFS mods:
[many car models on these sites are ripped from other games and cannot be used in LFS]
Quote :Sketchfab - Creative Commons licenses, except BY-ND and BY-NC-ND
CGTrader - Royalty free license, no derivatives allowed
3dlancer.net - with Royalty free license, no derivatives allowed
blendswap.com - Creative Commons licenses, except BY-ND and BY-NC-ND
free3d.com - Royalty free license, no derivatives allowed
3dcadbrowser.com - Royalty free license, no derivatives allowed

The list is by no means final and this post will be edited. Some might get added later, some might even be removed, if we find out the sites changed their terms or anything else that might be problematic for model use in LFS modding.
Please refer to the point 8. Vehicle Mod retention / lifetime in the Vehicle submission guidelines.

There are sites we have so far identified as not good sources for models in LFS because they do not provide a proper license.

Incomplete list of sites which are NOT acceptable sources for LFS mods:
Quote :open3dmodel.com
downloadfree3d.com
cadnav.com
lfsturkey.net
gamemodels.ru
rigmodels.com
lucas-mods.com
perendinator.blogspot.com
grabcad.com
cults3d.com
3dwarehouse.sketchup.com
b2b.partcommunity.com
modslfs.com
mark-jdmods.blogspot.com
hum3d.com
Roblox

Also, generally, websites with content, which look like blogspot sites or a file depositories are usually not accepted as well, unless the website provides proper terms of use.

We hope you will find this helpful.

Have fun modding! Smile
Attached images
licence.png
Wow great work!

I wonder when they included the 3D Cad Browser option on the license wizard. So glad it is there now, I had a model awaiting for this opportunity Wink

Thanks for the post, will definitely help people heaps!!
Poly.pizza cc atribution but ultra low poly model’s
-
(fastranker1) DELETED by fastranker1
Quote from fastranker1 :Now i know its weird a demo user asking about an s3 feature but if i just straigt copy pasted a model will it be banned?

Depends on its license. (the model's license)
Quote from fastranker1 :Now i know its weird a demo user asking about an s3 feature but if i just straigt copy pasted a model will it be banned?

Depence of from where comes this model if this model is made by hand and its open for pepole to take then no... but if it was taken (Ripped) from game then no
thanks to put my blog on blacklist
now i can let it die in peace
Quote from MacedoSTI :thanks to put my blog on blacklist
now i can let it die in peace

You just noticed it there? It is there since 2022, when people tried to upload your mods.
Quote from Draggo :You just noticed it there? It is there since 2022, when people tried to upload your mods.

I dont see anything about lfs since release of the editor
-
(curtismooney571) DELETED by Eric : Spam
Quote from Kid222 :No derivatives allowed means that you cannot make any changes to the model and noone else can make any changes to the model you have submitted to LFS - applies only for CGTrader, 3dlancer, free3d and 3dcadbrowser websites with their Royalty free license.

I'm not sure what this part is based on. I couldn't find a mention of this in the CGTrader's General Terms and Conditions.

Should this be rewritten so people who download or buy models under Royalty Free license from CGTrader would be allowed to modify the models?
I believe it should be.
Usually for anything not written in a copyright license, normal copyright applies.
Granted rights must be explicitely written in the license, wich is usually not the case for derivatives in royalty free licenses.
CGTrader is no exception, I could not find anything on derivatives in that license, so I would nt allow derivatives and keep like it is now.
I think this is what it was originally based on:

21A.3. If you use any Product in software products (such as video games, simulations, or VR-worlds) you must take all commercially reasonable measures to prevent the end user from gaining access to the Product.

So in my opinion nothing changes. The way this is phrased makes it sound like end user should be unable to acquire the model from LFS. Even though it is technically possible now, the No Deriv license gives us the possibility to use CGTrader models in LFS this way. It is a lawyer language though and it makes my head spin Ya right, so i can't say i'm 100% sure, but better safe than sorry.
But does that also imply that the person who downloads the model from CGTrader can't make any modifications to the model?
Quote from Flame CZE :But does that also imply that the person who downloads the model from CGTrader can't make any modifications to the model?

I honestly don't see the implication, so can't tell.
Maybe it's time to put statement about AI generated 3D models before people try to use it to make LFS cars?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG