The online racing simulator
Joystick button problems
(20 posts, started )
Joystick button problems
Hi all.

I have a racing wheel that has 3 buttons on a higher number then 32.
All the button presses are shown in the wheel softvare but not in LFS, I can´t use buttons
number 34, 35 and 36.

Why is this?

The wheel manufacturer says the software works fine with Assetto Corsa, Iracing etc,
but as it seems not with Live For Speed.

MP
Quote from Meseplayer :Hi all.

I have a racing wheel that has 3 buttons on a higher number then 32.
All the button presses are shown in the wheel softvare but not in LFS, I can´t use buttons
number 34, 35 and 36.

MP

Hi, I have a Logitech DFGT and it has buttons number 34, 35 and 36. I have no problems using those buttons in LFS. What is the model and brand of your Wheel?
Hi.
I have a Simucube wheel.
Do you have the latest LFS version?

Mp
Quote from Meseplayer :Hi.
I have a Simucube wheel.
Do you have the latest LFS version?

Mp

Yes, I have the latest LFS. And my wheel, Logitech DFGT is an old wheel, largely used in many versions of LFS...

Does your wheel has a software to create profiles for games? Maybe some configuration should work. I don't know.

Did you try the forum of GraniteDevices? It has some topics about LFS.

https://community.granitedevices.com/search?q=live%20for%20speed

Put your question in their forum.
Hi, and thanks for your answer. I have to look up this tomorrow, but I think there's different profiles for different games, but I wonder if that makes any difference, in any case LFS should be able to use the buttons beyond 32. I have contacted granite but they can't help.
Meseplayer
#6 - gu3st
Well, your buttons wouldn't be through the simucube, but through your wheel device. What wheel do you have equipped?
Hi. The buttons are for sure thrugh the simucube, the wheel has a bluetooth board that connects to the cube and it sends the buttons data to the computer thru USB. Have to give it another try, maybe this issue suddenly "goes away" but I kind of doubt that...
#8 - gu3st
Yeah seems unlikely. Wonder if it's just some weirdness between LFS and BT HID devices. I don't have any devices with > 32 buttons to test (button box is 32 max, and my T300 is fewer Frown.

EDIT: It's a **** awful idea, but I wonder if using something like vJoy could work as a workaround (assuming a vJoy device with >32 buttons gets registered by LFS).
well, time will tell..;-)
I have a Simucube with a wireless Asher button box, and no buttons are recognised in LFS, even the paddle that are on button 0 and 1.. ( the button box works perfectly in other sims of course )
The wheel is detected as I can assign the steering wheel, but the Simucube buttons are not, that's very annoying.
I can assign my other DSD button box ( plug on USB ), and other devices without issues.
Hi
Do ask Asher about his configuration of the BT device, maybe that can give you an idea of what´s wrong.

Meseplayer
Like I said in my post everything work correctly in ALL other sims ( iRacing , AMS2, rFactor2, AC, ACC ). So logically the problem comes from LFS not Asher , not Simucube.
Cheers.
Ok, maybe there is a problem in LFS, try asking Scawen here on the forum.

MP
Yeah, that's why I posted here Big grin hoping Scawen will see this
Thumbs up
LFS uses just a simple windows driver or Direct Input API for FFB, developed in 1999. If your buttons and axes are recognized here, they should also work in LFS. See a picture below. However, I never tested more than 32 buttons in LFS so not sure if there really is a limitation.
Attached images
Fig 1 - FFB device.jpg
Same issue here. The Fanatec Podium Button Module Endurance has 34 buttons, but the numbers the computer sees are spread out up to 62 (theoretically 64, I presume).

The ranges are:

1-4: Regular buttons
5-6: Shift paddles
7-12: Regular buttons
13-20: Gears (via attached shifter)
23-25: Seven-way switch twist left, twist right, and push in
26: Joystick press
31-34: Two separate two-way toggles
37-38: Rotary encoder
49-50: Another rotary encoder
61-61: Extra paddles

Curiously, the way LFS enumerates the button inputs, it counts 33-36 as the D-pad's inputs (which in other games aren't given numbers and are just directional inputs) perhaps just to have a number to apply them to despite only seeing 32 "normal" button inputs. As such, only two of the two-way toggle switch inputs are available, and what's worse is that these are split between the two toggles (one is 31 and 33, the other is 32 and 34, meaning that only the 'down' position is registered at all by LFS).

I'd be quite excited to see LFS expand its input range to allow these high input count devices to work properly!
You are absolutely right. I'm positive that devs will fix this, it is only a minor issue, that should be not too much time-consuming.
@scawen ( can't tag people in this forum ? trying to invoke the master Omg omg omg )
Bump :)any news about fixing this bug?
I still can't bind my buttons on the wheel Frown

Game dev here.. maybe LFS inplemented a old version of DirectInput using DIJOYSTATE

typedef struct DIJOYSTATE {
LONG lX;
LONG lY;
LONG lZ;
LONG lRx;
LONG lRy;
LONG lRz;
LONG rglSlider[2];
DWORD rgdwPOV[4];
BYTE rgbButtons[32];
} DIJOYSTATE, *LPDIJOYSTATE;

instead of DIJOYSTATE2

typedef struct DIJOYSTATE2 {
LONG lX;
LONG lY;
LONG lZ;
LONG lRx;
LONG lRy;
LONG lRz;
LONG rglSlider[2];
DWORD rgdwPOV[4];
BYTE rgbButtons[128];
LONG lVX;
LONG lVY;
LONG lVZ;
LONG lVRx;
LONG lVRy;
LONG lVRz;
LONG rglVSlider[2];
LONG lAX;
LONG lAY;
LONG lAZ;
LONG lARx;
LONG lARy;
LONG lARz;
LONG rglASlider[2];
LONG lFX;
LONG lFY;
LONG lFZ;
LONG lFRx;
LONG lFRy;
LONG lFRz;
LONG rglFSlider[2];
} DIJOYSTATE2, *LPDIJOYSTATE2;

migrating to the new one shouldn't be complicated
Thank you for this information. I've implemented this today so it will be in the next test patch, which I hope is in the next two or three weeks (though my time estimates are normally terrible).

Joystick button problems
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG