The online racing simulator
No Force Feedback- CreateEffect Failed (1 axes); Could not setup FF steer device
Hi all!

I used to play LFS until a couple of months ago on my Thrustmaster F430 FFB (I know, I need to move to 2021) without issue.

Recently I decided to get back to it and suddenly my wheel does not have FFB anymore.
I tried several things but nothing helped - what I noticed is this:

If I install the wheel's driver, on startup and/or when I try to turn off and back on FFB in game I get the following errors:
CreateEffect Failed (1 axes)
Could not setup FF steer device

I get the following under Options -> Controls:
1 Controller Detected
F430 Force Feedback
Wheel

If I uninstall the wheel's driver, I don't get the errors mentioned, and under Options-> Controls I get the same thing but instead of "Wheel" there is "Joystick"

I am at a loss here, as in both cases I get no force feedback.
For sure on other games I get it(such as Assetto Corsa/Race Room etc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Most probably you do not have the correct FFB driver for a wheel. Would be worth looking into an older version which you used when it worked correctly.
Quote from rane_nbg :Most probably you do not have the correct FFB driver for a wheel. Would be worth looking into an older version which you used when it worked correctly.

Well the latest driver is from 2018 for this wheel, so for sure it was the same one I was using throughout 2020 :/
Oh ok, well that's a bummer. It does point that something is wrong with LFS Frown

Have you tried playing with the program WheelCheck?
Can you check with an older LFS version ? I remember that Scawen has implemented an evolution in the ffb released with the current one if I am not mistaken, and if you have not played since 3 years, it may be something not correctly handled (as your ffb is not working only in lfs)
As far as I am aware, all Scawen did about FFB is increase resolution and sampling rate. The way it is calculated is still the same.

The error he gets is usually when the game is not able to set up the force feedback on a particular axis. Other than the device not having FFB at all, it also happens if a device reports 2 FFB axis (like some gamepads or joysticks), LFS only uses one and is not able to set up the other one. Wheels have only 1 FFB axis, which is usually tied to X-axis (steering), as defined in firmware or PID part of HID descriptor.
Of course, but a board effect may always be considered especially when his wheel seems to work fine, and has worked previously with lfs.
This is from Scawen. Also related to Wizard's post about driving on ice.

Changes from 0.6U to 0.6V :
Multiplayer:

Maximum packets per second (/pps) has been increased to 12
Rolling resistance included in catch-up phase of prediction
Wear and temperature packet is more frequent and more accurate
Position packet now includes contact patch offset for each tyre
Reduced steering glitch each time a position packet is received
More accurate transmission of fuel load from local to remote car
Position packets are sent more frequently in response to steering
Quote from rane_nbg :Oh ok, well that's a bummer. It does point that something is wrong with LFS Frown

Have you tried playing with the program WheelCheck?

Nope, never heard of it to be honest, what is it about?
I doubt there is something wrong with the wheel itself as the game recognises the wheel - I can drive with it just no FFB, plus other games have no issues whatsoever with it
It's a small program made by devs of iRacing, which can read many things about device firmware regarding FFB. It can generate some FFB effects, which is very useful for testing the wheel and check if everything works correctly.

If you are able to generate forces with it, then obviously LFS has some issue with your wheel.
Attached files
WheelCheck.rar - 138.5 KB - 187 views
Quote from AcePilot27 :Hi all!

I used to play LFS until a couple of months ago on my Thrustmaster F430 FFB (I know, I need to move to 2021) without issue.

Recently I decided to get back to it and suddenly my wheel does not have FFB anymore.
I tried several things but nothing helped - what I noticed is this:

If I install the wheel's driver, on startup and/or when I try to turn off and back on FFB in game I get the following errors:
CreateEffect Failed (1 axes)
Could not setup FF steer device

I get the following under Options -> Controls:
1 Controller Detected
F430 Force Feedback
Wheel

If I uninstall the wheel's driver, I don't get the errors mentioned, and under Options-> Controls I get the same thing but instead of "Wheel" there is "Joystick"

I am at a loss here, as in both cases I get no force feedback.
For sure on other games I get it(such as Assetto Corsa/Race Room etc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This might be late, but u need an older driver, Imma link to my post where I fixed it, and added the driver https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1978748#post1978748

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG