The online racing simulator
Couldn't all the 1024 skins in the database be forced to resize to 2048 and then make minimum requirement to uploading skins of 2048? Then all the skins in the server would be 2048 to begin with.

But sure continue with the things now that are more crucial than this.
Yeah, there's only so much I can deal with. At some point I have to stop taking things on when the light at the end of the tunnel seems to be getting further and further away!

OK, some more updates in U15. Still a compatible version.

F12 pit instructions:

Pressure change with new tyre no longer counts as SETUP CHANGES
A new 'cancel' option beside the 'setup changes requested' line
Settings that will be adjusted are now shown in light red colour
FIX: rear tyre pressure was limited by front tyre pressure limits
FIX: symmetric pressure/camber request remained after pit stop

Multiplayer:

More accurate transmission of fuel load from local to remote car
Remote car fuel load is now shown in F12 if /showfuel is enabled
Rolling resistance included in catch-up phase of prediction
FIX: Remote cars with worn tread could wrongly get a puncture

Misc:

Auto-repeat key function reinstated (disabled in previous test)
MPR / SPR are now prevented from being named temp_mpr / temp_spr
Free view mode minimum field of view reduced from 10 to 2 degrees
InSim NLP / MCI minimum time interval reduced to 10 ms (was 40 ms)
Mouse X and Y sensitivity (in Axes tab) lower limit reduced to 0.5
FIX: Message MPR_BLANK sometimes displayed when watching live MPR

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/93185
Quote from Scawen :NOTE: This is about a quick update of the existing version. Nothing to do with the major changes in the development version.

Drifters have asked for the maximum steering lock to be increased and to allow the full range of tyres, for the XRR and FZR cars. We received a request to allow up to 65 degrees steering angle but it seems a bit much to me. Those two cars have double wishbone suspension so that seems to put a limit on the amount a wheel could turn before part of the wheel hits part of a wishbone with disastrous results. I don't have any real world reference for what maximum lock is achievable by drifters in real life.

Do you have accepted decision about this? Or can it be only for the release of the patch? It's important for us as drift community thats is quite large in LFS, I show a examples of real suspension from Wisefab using by real drifters which steering lock stof more than 60 degrees. But I think in LFS 50 degrees steering angle is enough for XRR and FZR.

XRR and FZR are good in terms of power, tire wide and even body elements thats are comparative to real Pro competitions like Formula Drift, Drift Masters European Championship, or FIA Intercontinental Drifting Cup and becouse of that and without a tire selection, large steering lock there there cant be drifting on XRR and FZR and this is not comparable with real competitions as it happens in the LFS on XRT, FZ5, RAC, and LX6 now.
I largely support the GTR car changes.
Quote from Aleksandr_124rus :Do you have accepted decision about this?

I read through the whole thread a couple of days ago to check what people said. I've been working on the incompatible changes along with the compatible ones. So we aren't very far away now. I'm hoping that we can test incompatible changes next week.

On tyres and steering lock so far:

I've changed the tyre limits so that:

- Single seater racing cars can now use ROAD_SUPER tyres
- GTR cars can use ROAD_SUPER, ROAD_NORMAL, HYBRID and KNOBBLY tyres

I haven't tried the steering lock changes yet, so I can't say what will happen. I think I will first try increasing the limit to 60 degrees for the RWD cars, excluding single seaters, then look at each one to see if any problems come up. I don't plan to increase the steering lock for cars with driven front wheels as it's really impossible.

I wanted to start looking at this today before I replied, but something else I'm working on has taken longer than expected.
Why touch single seater cars lol
Hey! I would like to ask for one addition to the autocross auto editor. There are concrete blocks, you can add gravel texture to concrete block and make gravel physics. I love rallycross very much, but there are very few rallicross tracks. With this object, you can lay new sidewalks everywhere. And arrange a stage in the parking lot similar to the Global Rallycross.
Sorry for bad english (google translate)
Quote from Viperakecske :Why touch single seater cars lol

Because they look cool with road tyres on. Smile
Attached images
lfs_00000012.jpg
Aha,and how much faster/slower road super than r1?
Quote from Scawen :Because they look cool with road tyres on. Smile

Somehow that looks really satisfying for me Nod
road tires on fox look so nice, if only they would wear off with time as you drive, just seeing that timelapse would be soooo nice and satisfying
Quote from Scawen :They have less grip than the race tyres so no danger for the hotlap tables or any existing races.

It was suggested by Degats and I think it should do no harm so made the small change (one line of code).
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1961887#post1961887

Does it mean it's going to be possible to hotlap rally tracks with formula cars now?
No, we don't permit all cars on all tracks and of course we wouldn't support such a silly hotlap combination.

There are no plans to change anything about the hotlaps.
Fz5-Lx6 karting not silly ?
Quote from Viperakecske :Fz5-Lx6 karting not silly ?

A powerful catheram or a 996 GT3 on a karting track is just great 😁👌🏻
Very
Quote from Scawen :No, we don't permit all cars on all tracks and of course we wouldn't support such a silly hotlap combination.

There are no plans to change anything about the hotlaps.

I understand, the thing is that some of the rules regarding what car is available and which isn't are weird - for instance on WE Karting track XFG and LX6 are allowed, but XRG, XRT, FXO and RB4 aren't even though LX6 is much harder to drive on a track like this. I'm just saying maybe you could consider enabling these cars there if you can already drive LX6, I don't really understand why XRG is blocked in this case.

Of course I'm just saying that it would be great to see some more combos available (driving a FOX around some of the rally tracks with rally tyres would be a lot of fun, I think people would like that, if you enabled 'silly' tyres for formula cars then why not allow the 'silly' cars on rally tracks at the same time).

And again, everything above is just under assumption that it's very little work to enable these cars on these tracks (WE karting and rally). I'd just love if you could stop working on these relatively small things that distract the main development and focus on that instead.
Quote from pajkul :I'd just love if you could stop working on these relatively small things that distract the main development and focus on that instead.

Part of my job is to understand what is important and work on it. You haven't been following this thread or the test patch properly, or you wouldn't say that.

If I take 1 minute out of my several years of development, to enable road tyres on formula cars, it probably isn't going to be a really big deal. But to start enabling rallycross hotlap tables for formula cars would be kind of stupid. It's not up for discussion at all. Anyone else is welcome to create their own hotlap tables for formula cars doing rallycross on road tyres if they want to. Maybe it'll catch on, who knows? But LFS developers aren't going to do that.

If you actually look what has been going on, you would see that I've been working on a lot of important things to improve the online racing experience, that happens every day, right now. It's a few weeks of work, to make important improvements for everyone to use while they wait for the other graphical and physical updates. The drift lock and new tyre allowances are a couple of minutes each. Very little to do with what I have actually been working on.

What some people don't seem to realise is all these changes also go into the new development version. I spend almost no time at all working on things that don't improve all future versions of LFS.
Ye Scawen telling the truth.

So when new fern bay pictures?
Quote from THE WIZARD DK :i dont "need" a very strong pc for the use im using it for.
by posting those specs i just wanted to say i wouldnt consider it potato pc.

It's a 8+ year old CPU. I just upgraded from a 4770 which was feeling very weak for most sims. Games like GTA are nowhere near as CPU intensive, hence why they perform fine with potato CPU + decent GPU.

Quote from THE WIZARD DK :
dds files is not a mod... and also not effecting connection.
basically its just images. when track loads its loading those.
but yes. a clean install is always preferred.

A DDS file is a mod. If the base LFS texture is (for instance) a 256x256 pixel texture and you've gone and created a 1024x1024px DDS, you've increased the pixel count of that texture by 16 times, which occupies more memory. That could be the difference between "fits all the textures in GPU memory" and "GPU needs to swap textures from either disk (VERY VERY SLOW) or CPU Memory (SLOW)".

Essentially any changes to the base LFS install (outside of setups and translations) have the potential to impact performance.
How is the AI currently performing during the pit stop? Does the AI choose the last free slot for the pit stop and should a real driver make that too? Do we need take the last one too in order not to get conflicts with the AI? If the number of AIs per host is increased, it could lead to (more) accidents in the pit lane if someone does not know the behavior of the AI.

By the way: Why is there (still) no fixed assignment of a pit stop slot where you should / must make the pit stop? Is that planned (on one of your todo lists)? Perhaps with instruction by staff, too? Smile
Quote from Pasci :How is the AI currently performing during the pit stop? Does the AI choose the last free slot for the pit stop and should a real driver make that too? Do we need take the last one too in order not to get conflicts with the AI? If the number of AIs per host is increased, it could lead to (more) accidents in the pit lane if someone does not know the behavior of the AI.

I can answer that: AI driver goes to that pit box according to it's position when it started it's last sector before that AI driver decides to enter a pit lane. So if that AI is in 1st place when that AI starts last sector before it pits, it will go to the last pit box (aka the one closest to the pit exit).

About your thoughts about making conflicts with AI: since 0.6K they have become way too careful in the pit lane due to this:
Quote :Now avoid ramming other cars when in the pit lane or lap of honour

I understand that they don't want to crash to each other, but what this has resulted is that if one AI is doing a pit stop and other AI is trying to enter the pit box directly in front of it (or vice versa, which means that one AI is trying to leave that pit box after finishing it and one AI is directly in front of it), that AI actually gets too scared and gets stuck at the pitlane. It results that AI is unable to properly enter it's assigned pit box before that AI who first made that pit stop actually completes it.

I attached a screenshot about this what I mean.
Attached images
AIPitStopBug.jpg
I'm planning to release one more compatible update with a few fixes before the incompatible one.

Quote from Degats :2. Is there a reason why InSim can't set the FOV for custom onboard cameras? The value is there, but the documentation says it can't be set. I currently have to do a hacky workaround with the /fov command, but it prevents smooth transitions and can cause a noticeable flicker.

I've now done this. It will work fine but there is no smoothing on the FOV value. If FOV in the IS_CPP is zero then current FOV is left unchanged.

Quote from Degats :3. Would it be possible to have an option for custom onboard views be relative to the "centre view" position (from options > view) rather than relative to whatever the client's saved custom view is? This would make InSim controlled views much more consistent for the general public (and less error prone for streams).

I've been looking at this but have slight difficulty as the ISS state flags are used in this packet and they are all in use. It's a bit of a crazy design but we're stuck with it for now.

I've thought of two possible approaches to achieve what you want.

1) Not include an option at all - Make the offset relative to the "Centre view" always with "custom" view but relative to the driver's eye position in "in car" view. So that means if the view is overridden from InSim then the user setting offsets are ignored.

2) Make it an option by re-using the ISS_SHIFTU_FOLLOW flag. Renamed to ISS_VIEW_RELATIVE so that it could refer to FOLLOW view (in free view mode) or offsets relative to user position in custom view mode.

I prefer the look of option (1) because it looks simpler and less confusing, both on my side and in the specification. Neither option is guaranteed not to break existing code. But I think option (1) does not break existing code if the user has not set any offsets.

But you did suggest it as an option. Is there a reason why it should be an option, or would it be better to always be relative to the central position?
Quote from Scawen :... But to start enabling rallycross hotlap tables for formula cars would be kind of stupid. It's not up for discussion at all. Anyone else is welcome to create their own hotlap tables for formula cars doing rallycross on road tyres if they want to. Maybe it'll catch on, who knows? But LFS developers aren't going to do that.

the door remains open for GTR cars... Heart
This thread is closed

Possible changes for a semi-compatible update
(159 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG