The online racing simulator
New life into LFS?
(128 posts, started )
Quote from bdog922 :If i saw updates like the beamNG group put out i

And.. Is it any good?
As a matter of fact - yes, it is. Tongue
I'm considering buying it too.
Hmmnah.. Its more a vehicle crash simulation sim for 12 year olds.

Quantity does not equal quality.
Quote from cargame.nl :Hmmnah.. Its more a vehicle crash simulation sim for 12 year olds.

Sorry, but you've got it wrong - that's totally not true. (:

Quote from cargame.nl :Quantity does not equal quality..

True, but it doesn't apply to BeamNG. It's exactly the opposite. BeamNG doesn't get updated so often... 7 years and it's still alpha 0.20.
BeamNG is a great game and you can compare it to LFS in many things.

- small indie team
- great physics
- for excited niche players
- loooong alpha status
- all about driving Smile

I only wait for VR but I guess this will take much longer.
The game performance is not ready for VR.

But it will be a blast! Imagine the crashes or falling from a cliff Big grin

Oh and you can race in BeamNG but it´s more a sandbox now.
Thanks, I know, sometimes I can be very convincing. Tongue
Quote from cargame.nl :Hmmnah.. Its more a vehicle crash simulation sim for 12 year olds.

That's about as smart as saying LFS is a cruising game for 12 year olds.
#84 - 5tag
That's surprisingly accurate TBH.

With this logic literally anything is "just <insert a simplified explaination> for <X years>". Right ?
And this forum... its more a typing simulator for 63 year olds waiting for new updates. Tongue Big grin
Quote from KevinRacer : Right ?

Neh, I checked out the Youtubes.. Says enough. If you do the same for LFS you end up with a different conclusion.

But whatever.. Go BeamNG the next racing simulator sim which going to set a new standard. Bye.
Sure it's not a racing sim, but if the sim has decent physics to drive in it's better to race/hotlap in. Vice versa with racing sims, they definitely need the driving aspect to be a good racing simulation.

The only thing I've noticed BeamNG does almost flawlessly is the off-roading. I've liked running around in the modded Hopper climbing cliffs and stuff and it feels very close to what it should be imo. Driving around in any harder surface than gravel and it becomes horrible. The cars bend around like tin cans on wheels and only with a rollcage they become what you would expect from a road-legal car, but the tires might just be worse. It's as if the tires aren't round, they hop around and at worst, it starts vibrating through the whole car like in the pickup and warp the body up. I think these nodes are what the tyre physics are calculated from:

It's a bit funny though, in LFS the visual tire model is a bit dated and polygonal but they feel normal, in BeamNG it's the opposite, they look normal but feel like driving on a polygonal surface Big grin The FFB isn't great, either. It starts clipping at ridiculously low values and it might be down to the tyres having the edges that give a force spike depending on speed/turn angle. Even with a post-processing .lut graph i never managed to make it feel anywhere close to what i would deem realistic, as any type of force that felt ok on some speeds caused clipping on higher speeds. In fact i've a reason to think this game was part of the reason why my FFB motors broke on my old 27. But that's another story.

Other than the driving aspect, it doesn't really have much going for it than crashing. Paired with Automation it gets some more replay value and it's really fun to make dragsters, road cars, etc. but i don't know, the tires of those cars sometimes are really wonky, even worse than BeamNG, but that might be down to how you set the car up in Automation.

In conclusion, I have to agree with cargame. Maybe with BeamMP it might be more fun to drive around, but it still has those flaws.
Attached images
nodes.jpg
Quote from cargame.nl :Neh, I checked out the Youtubes.. Says enough. If you do the same for LFS you end up with a different conclusion.

But whatever.. Go BeamNG the next racing simulator sim which going to set a new standard. Bye

Basically you said "I hate everything but not LFS, it's perfect, flawless, never seen a bug, high quality, beamng sucks, bye". Don't be like that!
Quote from cargame.nl :Neh, I checked out the Youtubes.. Says enough.

He uses YouTube to conceive his opinions.
I think that says enough.
New life into LFS you may ask? Uhh, hard to judge. Not to bash here but even the online racing competition scene is pretty much meh. Less than 10 drivers are actually fast, the rest are mediocre at best, but at least they race fair and square. Other then that, the overall level of skill has dropped a lot.
Correct, most have left the scene to either Rfactor, PCars or -the biggest group- Iracing. These will never return. LFS has to do it with a fresh group of enthusiasts if it ever gets back into gaining traction. Which I highly doubt at this point.

Don't rule out beamNG by the way, nobody knows it yet but going to be so hot.
Quote from cargame.nl :Don't rule out beamNG by the way, nobody knows it yet but going to be so hot.

Still attempting to frame an offline, open world soft-body vehicle simulator as an online car racing simulator?
I'll give you points for persistence.
The framing was being done earlier in this topic by comparing updates from a completely different sim to LFS. Kudos also to Microsoft with their Flight Simulator 2020 update. So many new planes, buttons, textures and airports. Amazing, lets organize a race there.

---
But to stay a bit serious.. Assetto Corsa has proven that a massive amount of content output doesn't necessarily mean it leads to multiplayer quality.

More tracks and cars are also not the answer for the problem LFS is facing.
Quote from cargame.nl :The framing was being done earlier in this topic

The framing was all done by you.
BeamNG was introduced to the thread in the context of software development cycles and rate of updates.
Nobody made any claim about it being a racing simulator competing with LFS.
That fallacy is 100% yours. Go back and read it.
Quote from False hope :New life into LFS you may ask? Uhh, hard to judge. Not to bash here but even the online racing competition scene is pretty much meh. Less than 10 drivers are actually fast, the rest are mediocre at best, but at least they race fair and square. Other then that, the overall level of skill has dropped a lot.

I take you have licenced account too?
Quote from gemini 95 :I take you have licenced account too?

Yes,but the Mouseboy is too shy to post loud comments from his actual account. Or is banned from forum,who knows... Shrug
Yeah my main account is banned but I'm not even concerned about that Big grin
Even though drivers like Botsi and Litmanen are pretty darn quick, those guys are really still up there, everyone else is more like ''meh'' about the entire racing scene. There is litereally NO pressure for anyone to become better and that's sad. Yes, you may say that it's just a game, but this game has seen way better days and it's a shame that it has gone into history like this.

Back in 2009 when most laughed about iRental being a true game, with barely any player base. Now look how tables have turned
Quote from farcar :Go back and read it.

Read back what? There is nothing to read thats the whole joke. Something gets updated more frequently, oh wow thats some argument. It's not even multiplayer, what the hell is the discussion.

Like I said, vehicle crash simulator for 12 year olds. Okay.. Its not 100% correct. -offline- vehicle crash simulator for 12 year olds. Enjoy.

Having a multiplayer simulator is a whole different ballpark. I noticed somebody mentioned Assetto Corsa, good argument!

New life into LFS?
(128 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG