The online racing simulator
June Progress Report
(76 posts, closed, started )
Yo that looks amazing. You guys need to allow the modding scene to help out and make it streamlined after these updates. Nothing catches the feel of drive as LFS, it's that good, thanks guys.
Looking really good. Awesome work devs, keep it up. I just would like to see how cruise servers, like TC will look on police chases on night Tongue

Spoiler - click to reveal
Hope it looks like how ClasK_03 rendered:

Quote from borja_s13 :Looking really good. Awesome work devs, keep it up. I just would like to see how cruise servers, like TC will look on police chases on night Tongue

That's actually impressive.
For a render that's pretty bad tbh. But something like that in-game would be cool for pace cars for sure.
I meant the lighting really. Light bars on pace cars has been suggested somewhere before I'm sure. Pretty sure that was a Degats special.
Quote from borja_s13 :Looking really good. Awesome work devs, keep it up. I just would like to see how cruise servers, like TC will look on police chases on night Tongue

Looks perfect Omg omg omg

Will the developers do this feature? Police chase would be really fun.
How do you know?

First this whole piracy shit needs to be addressed before getting into these kind of gimmicks if you'd ask me.

As far as I know it's priority, which is good otherwise LFS has zero future.
The video was very satisfing to watch, thanks for sharing the update Scawen.
Quote from cargame.nl : First this whole piracy shit needs to be addressed before getting into these kind of gimmicks if you'd ask me.

As far as I know it's priority, which is good otherwise LFS has zero future.

Couldn't agree more with the piracy. LFS is in a niche market and is standing on it's own without the dependency of a 3rd party launcher unlike 99% of the games today so most gamers wouldn't mind to pirate a game that isn't on the Steam store. My point being LFS can be more tempted to hack than a Steam game so it's even more important to have a solid protection as every sales are important when you develop a long term project like this.

It's none of our business as they'll do as they please but I hope for them that the future update is gonna be less prone to hacking as the piracy is going to get through the roof with such a major update.. especially if they can still play a pirated version online. No incentive to buy beside supporting the developers, which most people today with next to no moral thoughts would even stop to think about.

When you think about it, Steam didn't get mainstream because it was less expensive than browsing on a torrent website; it became the norm because it was convenient. If LFS could somehow make the online experience more appealing (with a legit copy) such as closer integration with LFS world inside the game or similar features, the cracked version would pale in comparison (which it isn't right now) and people would be more tempted to get the full experience. Just a thought.

Anyway, thanks for the report Scawen and I hope you guys still enjoy making LFS. I feel spoiled that the best racing game I ever owned is still being developed today. Good continuation!
Its worse. Cracked versions create their own worlds and it are worlds on their own. Which means there is no interaction anymore between different modes (race/league/cruise/drift/demo etcetc). I am by the way not saying that piracy made the official online environment dead but it certainly is not helping.

I got triggered a bit by a reply from a demo account with the most expensive computer nonsense put in profile and some favorite car track which cannot even be logically explained with a demo account and then talking about some FZ5 render.

About Steam.. A lot of those games can also be run without the launcher and being used in .. lets say it mildly.. An unofficial way. Steam is the Ebay or the Amazon of the gaming industry. It makes a product much more accessible for a bigger public but those companies are in theory not needed. These companies exist because people nowadays apparently dont want to deal with individual shops and their paying systems anymore.

But I am pretty sure LFS still can be without Steam and rely on its own promotion. Scawen makes one wrong assumption though by saying; 'sign up to the email newsletter come back and play LFS when you feel up for it'. It's not happening like that, most of LFS was/is community driven. Communities are not being build in a day or removed in a day. It's a process, this process got heavily interrupted by a lack of trust.. Trust of future updates. This trust is not restored with just one (big) single update.
Quote from cargame.nl :Its worse. Cracked versions create their own worlds and it are worlds on their own. Which means there is no interaction anymore between different modes (race/league/cruise/drift/demo etcetc). I am by the way not saying that piracy made the official online environment dead but it certainly is not helping.

I got triggered a bit by a reply from a demo account with the most expensive computer nonsense put in profile and some favorite car track which cannot even be logically explained with a demo account and then talking about some FZ5 render.

About Steam.. A lot of those games can also be run without the launcher and being used in .. lets say it mildly.. An unofficial way. Steam is the Ebay or the Amazon of the gaming industry. It makes a product much more accessible for a bigger public but those companies are in theory not needed. These companies exist because people nowadays apparently dont want to deal with individual shops and their paying systems anymore.

But I am pretty sure LFS still can be without Steam and rely on its own promotion. Scawen makes one wrong assumption though by saying; 'sign up to the email newsletter come back and play LFS when you feel up for it'. It's not happening like that, most of LFS was/is community driven. Communities are not being build in a day or removed in a day. It's a process, this process got heavily interrupted by a lack of trust.. Trust of future updates. This trust is not restored with just one (big) single update.

Exactly.
It's so quiet.
was expecting a another progress report after 2 months, with more pics about south city or fern bay. Or some technical stuff.
I would not expect Fern Bay shots before 3 months after Eric has begun to hardly work on it. In this progress report Scawen is saying he has not yet finished what he wants to do on South City Ya right ... so September / October at the earliest I would guess !
Night / Moonlight / tire physics is another subject Uhmm
LFS
But any news would do Wink
Personally I would like to see progress in the sky clouds etc.
Seems so.
Live For Speed: The Neverending Project.
If Scawen still need to work on the tyre physics.

Maybe a release next year.
Heard it few years ago
"Be Patient, Good Things Take Time."
Quote from Evolution_R :"Be Patient, Good Things Take Time."

Yeah sounds like Rony to me, being patient for more than 10 years. It's like trying to convince your grandma that those old cups should be thrown out but she insists on keeping them because who knows maybe they will be useful one day.

:DDD
Not sure why I'm mentioned here,but I'm not sitting here and waiting patiently for something - I use what's already there instead of making myself false hopes like some around here do. We have racing,even if it does not fulfill high expectations of some elitists moaning around here in forums,but there's a fair share of racers still having fun in various leagues,some are even gathering up full grids with decent racers failing to qualify.

Having said that - no,I'm not completely happy with LFS as is,I would also like more cars,more tracks,the day/night cycle,better physics,but I'm not giving up a hobby because everything what I would like is not ready yet - remember,that the current version is still the best version ever been out there. Enjoy it or leave it.
Would you really admit that having to play more or less the same game for such a long time is enjoyable, or do you have to take breaks to find it re-playable?
Quote from False hope :Would you really admit that having to play more or less the same game for such a long time is enjoyable, or do you have to take breaks to find it re-playable?

Aren't all race games the same? I mean I play almost only race games.
ATM mostly Wreckfest but also most race games for me all the same (some better then others) but we go rounds. Think LFS is one of the best games in many ways and we racers don't mind going rounds after rounds Wink
That is the difference between a game and racing simulator - there is no "re-playing" in a sim. In some random game you finish a story line or accomplish achievements and then you need a break before you get interest to re-play it if at all,which is not relevant to LFS.
I still keep racing in various events,still keep improving PBs which I though were my limits. When organizing events I try to search for new combos (I have to admit that I haven't offered something new and unique for a while due personal life),even if some are not that well received. Even in same combo - there are no 2 same races,no re-playing,every race is different,especially with a year or more between them - other drivers,other situations etc.
LFS is not just a game I play,it's a hobby.
Quote from False hope :Would you really admit that having to play more or less the same game for such a long time is enjoyable, or do you have to take breaks to find it re-playable?

Well, racing games in general are probably the most repetetive gaming genre out there. Going in circles over and over again, for tens or even hundreds of the same laps. Then go in different circles maybe with different car, but the idea stays the same. But unlike some story-based RPG games, the replayability is huge.
There's pretty much no joy in playing some Assassin's Creed title for the third time, you already know the story and the environment is already explored, so there's not much meaningful to do. Meanwhile in the racing sim you can jump in and try to beat your old PB or other racers who are just driving around. Even 2 races at same combo will turn out completely differently.

Racing sims naturally don't have any specific goal or other natural limit and you are free to do what you want to do, that's where the long replayability comes from. Guys who you speak to at this forum have circled the world multiple times while still being entertained and motivated to keep driving.
Having driven for hotlaps in this game and actually got really good years ago, I can understand the need to thrive and become better. For me, getting as close to the WR as possible was the ultimate goal and Marus was the inspiration. Now tho, having sold my main steering wheel years ago, I sort of find it hard to convince myself to get a new, proper wheel. I am intrigued to purchase one, but in some way scared that I might not enjoy the game as I used to. Other sims are an option but in reality, LFS has that sort of vibe to it that I personally cannot explain. Sure, other sims offer more and are great fun, but LFS does hold great value in terms of memories and the great time spent.

Looking at T300RS btw k
-
(11SuLLy11) DELETED by Scawen : conversation going the wrong way
-
(MicroSpecV) DELETED by Scawen : conversation going the wrong way
-
(Evolution_R) DELETED by Scawen : conversation going the wrong way
-
(cargame.nl) DELETED by Scawen : conversation going the wrong way
-
(BerdyGaming) DELETED by Scawen : conversation going the wrong way
-