The online racing simulator
March Progress Report - LFS in Direct3D 11
(117 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Scawen :It's good to hear that D3D11 still can work on Linux, because I don't want to restrict users to Windows. But I'm not so pleased to hear that D3D11 support requires a DX12/Vulkan GPU.

I don't have any plans to set up a Linux computer with a super graphics card to test DXVK - we don't have those kind of resources! As in space, time, money, etc. But hearing all those other games run fine, I would be surprised if LFS didn't.

I’d be willing to do that test if you’re ok with sending me a test build. I’m running Pop_OS! 19.10, soon to be 20.04, and have a Radeon VII card. I’ve done a lot of experiments in DXVK with other games as I only game on Linux now.
Quote from Scawen :It's good to hear that D3D11 still can work on Linux, because I don't want to restrict users to Windows. But I'm not so pleased to hear that D3D11 support requires a DX12/Vulkan GPU.

I don't have any plans to set up a Linux computer with a super graphics card to test DXVK - we don't have those kind of resources! As in space, time, money, etc. But hearing all those other games run fine, I would be surprised if LFS didn't.

FWIW, DirectX 12 (albeit in a lower feature set mode) works from nVidia Fermi (600 series, 2010) and AMD GCN 1.0 (HD 7000 2012).

Vulkan supposedly works on cards supporting OpenGL 4.x and up, which means Radeon HD 5000 (2009), though still Fermi.

Not entirely sure how all that applies to DXVK, but since it seems DXVK claims to only need a Vulkan capable GPU (and driver) it may well work on some more older cards.

I think I have an old HD 5000 series knocking around somewhere that I could use to test (though I've never tried using DXVK before). I do have a 4000 series, but that supposedly won't work (OpenGL 3.3).
Quote from Dygear : I only game on Linux now.

with VR? Because its still the main goal behind this. I question the level of support for this specialized hardware on Linux and if so, what the performance will be. Too much hassle to figure out, costs way too much time. Linux needs to adapt, not the other way around.
LFS is still my favourite sim! Hope we can get some good news soon! Wink
Quote from RicardoB :LFS is still my favourite sim! Hope we can get some good news soon! Wink

mine too, this is good and great news for LFSPortugal will help us a lot to improve and bring incredible events again
Quote from lfsrm :Well if someone is fully ready to pay for LFS and at the same time being reluctant to invest into some cheap 40/50$ used GTX 660 or HD 7850 to play the game, I find that a little bit ironic...

Scawen is here to take advantage of the new features and enhancement to make his life easier, and at the same times delivering those features faster, but you guys are dragging him down with stone age hardware just because why not...

Simracing games are probably one of the most expensive genra to play properly, you need to understand that at least.

don't get me wrong, i'm so pleased with the progress. i just made a note, about the gaming opportunities for Linux gamers.

Quote from Bose321 :That's what you get when you want to play games on Unix. Just go for the DX11 implementation and save yourself the trouble of maintaining it for the DX10 level. Like lfsrm said, you can buy a super cheap second hand GPU that supports DX11.

If you're still using hardware or an OS that doesn't support DX10 of DX11 in 2020 it's time for an upgrade Smile

you've got lost in my short story Smile Linux gamers will need a DX12/Vulkan capable GPU which should be at least an AMD GCN graphics processor with open-source AMDGPU driver

Quote from Scawen :I don't have any plans to set up a Linux computer with a super graphics card to test DXVK - we don't have those kind of resources! As in space, time, money, etc. But hearing all those other games run fine, I would be surprised if LFS didn't.

you can count on us, i'm thinking about to set up topic here for racers you want to play on Linux.

Quote from Degats :Vulkan supposedly works on cards supporting OpenGL 4.x and up, which means Radeon HD 5000 (2009), though still Fermi.

the first GCN (HD7730+) cards has the driver to run on Vulkan, maybe older architectures could be able to, but we don't have any closed/open driver for them. (sorry, i can talk about only the AMD part)
Quote from limac92 :Keep going Smile As a motivation, I will provide a comment that once caught my attention because it is very accurate. Jimmy Broadbent, known youtuber, once released a video in which he tested LFS. He received the following comment below the film https://youtu.be/gvXvzvOsqOk:

"If the devs weren't so lazy LFS would be the best sim of all time. It was so far ahead of its time and does things with its physics that other sims still can't replicate."

I don't think that you are lazy because as software developer i know how hard that job is, but the market is ruthless, people want more and more, and to be on top they must be receive what thay want.

Please think about entering the steam distribution platform - this will definitely help to reach more players, about new tracks - I like the available layouts, but experienced players want something new, pro racers would like to have real tracks like e.g. nordschleife, maybe new cars, and open (officialy supported) platform for moders with workshop - people can create amazing things, .

In my opinion just a big, top quality update can re-interest players and help you get new ones. New visuals, although I am very happy, are not enough.

Best regards and good luck in your work on still the best online simulator!

Totally agree, i love LFS even the interface is unique and straightforward. Few developers is no longer an argument. You deliver or not, there are many sims in 2020, many choice available, they are all good. And if you say "we do what we want" so good luck. I see so many ironic statement all around the web about LFS "will never ship anything new". In my opinion the studio should work in some way to get more money and hire more team member. It's a vicious circle. No update means no interest from players means no money.LFS need to make a step forward to show that it's still in da game. Many time myself and many friend wanted to upgrade the game but there is an "abandonware" feeling in the air.It's hard to define where we are with this game. I know that the sim is still updated but too slow in my opinion. We see the update progress news so frequently but no release at all.

This game should have a beta program to allow players to try the new updates like dx11. With or without steam it's not an issue. Thus workshop items would be very useful...Many studio have released half baked game versions nowadays but it's not an issue for the user as long as the game has something in its core. It's better to deliver something incomplete vs being perfectionist and release nothing or take too long.
There is no studio working on LFS. It's a project of Scawen (as coder)and Eric (graphics designer) and that's it. They don't use any known software to build this game, as Scawen has build all on its own. Money isn't what drives them, perfection is and they do a fine job with that. LFS has come a long way since I first discovered it and I am sure it will go a long way as well. All that's going on behind the scenes now, will be huge step forward while quality is still remained. Either people like this slow progress and value the game for what it is already (a masterpiece) or they don't like it and move along.
@manrun

We have a Test Patch Forum here!
And yes we, (some of us) test every single Patch before they release it.

But you want a "Test/Test Patch Forum" with Daily or Weekly Updates??

I bet that would result in another delay for the official release.
-
(Yusufdelil1) DELETED by Yusufdelil1
I love to see progress on track designs, south city looks amazing.
However, is it possible that we could see update on car interiors?
I know that i can download some dds files, and make it look better, but it would be nice, if cars originally would have nice and beautiful interiors.
Quote from Pfortnoks :I love to see progress on track designs, south city looks amazing.
However, is it possible that we could see update on car interiors?
I know that i can download some dds files, and make it look better, but it would be nice, if cars originally would have nice and beautiful interiors.

There is one (Eric) [gfx/models] artist working on LFS, and he's working on the tracks now.

The new version of LFS can't be released until all track models are upgraded and fixed (as current tracks are "broken" with new light/shadow rendering).

The old car interiors *do* work with new renderer, so new version does not need to wait another year (two, three?) for cars interiors upgraded...

Both Eric and Scawen are well aware that car interiors could use an upgrade, or more like really *need* update, and they will address it ASAP - but that's not planned for the next version, only the tracks and new rendering system is priority.
Quote from Ped7g :There is one (Eric) [gfx/models] artist working on LFS, and he's working on the tracks now.

The new version of LFS can't be released until all track models are upgraded and fixed (as current tracks are "broken" with new light/shadow rendering).

The old car interiors *do* work with new renderer, so new version does not need to wait another year (two, three?) for cars interiors upgraded...

Both Eric and Scawen are well aware that car interiors could use an upgrade, or more like really *need* update, and they will address it ASAP - but that's not planned for the next version, only the tracks and new rendering system is priority.

It will take a long time to redesign the car interiors. I hope they will handle them in the next update,

We will wait at least 2 more years for the new version if they are included in this update
Please don't drop the support of Direct3D 9: there's a lot of people in the world who have old computers, but still want to play some games.
Quote from BestRex :Please don't drop the support of Direct3D 9: there's a lot of people in the world who have old computers, but still want to play some games.

Sorry but this is a ludicrous request in 2020.
^ I agree.
Quote from BestRex :Please don't drop the support of Direct3D 9: there's a lot of people in the world who have old computers, but still want to play some games.

You have lfs for 14 years and did not consider buying the game... ?
Nor upgrading your computer ? Big grin
Quote from nacim :Nor upgrading your computer ? Big grin

nostalgia powa ^^ . Not so credible I think Big grin
Quote from Flotch :You have lfs for 14 years and did not consider buying the game... ?

Will buying a game help to keep the Direct3D 9 support in it? NO. Than why you even asking about buying? It's absolutely unrelated to graphics.

Quote from nacim :Nor upgrading your computer ? Big grin

Upgrading computer to keep playing very old videogame that I've been playing for ~15 years now? That sounds ridiculous! Old games should work with old hardware - that's the thing.

And I don't see why it's the problem for the LFS developers to keep two renders in the game: old one and the new one. For example, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky had not just two, but 3 renders in it: DX 8.1, DX 9, and DX 10. So every players could choose wich one fits their PCs. And that's the way it should be. And, by the way, do I asking to add something new and/or complex to the game? NO. I'm just asking developers to not cut out what this game already has for ~15 years already - which is Direct3D 9 support. Just don't cut out things - how hard can it be???
Quote from BestRex :Upgrading computer to keep playing very old videogame that I've been playing for ~15 years now? That sounds ridiculous! Old games should work with old hardware - that's the thing.

Wait ... you tag LFS "a very old game" because you have been playing it for a long time and that's it? The fact that it has been around for a very long time (fortunately), doesn't mean it did not evolve with each update - that's the point (be it a hotfix-like small update or a huge graphical update)!
Quote from BestRex :And, by the way, do I asking to add something new and/or complex to the game? NO. I'm just asking developers to not cut out what this game already has for ~15 years already - which is Direct3D 9 support. Just don't cut out things - how hard can it be???

I'm no programmer myself but have been interested in and following the process, so in my honest opinion, yes, you do ask a quite complex and time-consuming work - there would be two versions and both of them would need to be maintained and tested thoroughly with each update.
Quote from BestRex :Just don't cut out things - how hard can it be???

It can be hard and Scawen has explained why.
Quote from Scawen :... At the moment LFS can still be compiled to use D3D9, but it will be hard to maintain the two versions, specially when we start to use the possibilities that D3D11 offers.

Anyway If LFS was developed by a big team - it wouldn't be that hard, which is not the case.
> Just don't cut out things - how hard can it be???

Are you serious? Big grin ... if yes, then you have no idea how these things works. Initially it would be like extra 30-80% of work, until it would become completely impossible to keep the versions compatible, then you would be left almost alone in the multiplayer.

Just keep running the older versions (the old game) offline, if you can't upgrade your HW.

The patched LFS is not old, but new game.

About how would buying help. Let's be real, there's no chance to keep DX9 working, not if only one customers wish for it, but generally buying the license makes difference. People without license are basically just noise.

I'm surprised you did got even some replies from users, we are probably really bored.
Quote from BestRex :Upgrading computer to keep playing very old videogame that I've been playing for ~15 years now? That sounds ridiculous! Old games should work with old hardware - that's the thing.

Guess what, it works!

Oh you want the -new- version to work on museum candidate equipment. Nah.

It simply doesnt work like that, the roads are also not designed anymore for mail coaches.

Anyway, nice trolling, you had your attention Wink
-
(Yusufdelil1) DELETED by Yusufdelil1

Nobody is cutting away the option to stay with older version. Since you're not very active online,then you don't even need a newer version. Shrug Feel free to keep playing the older version of the old game! Thumbs up
Quote from manran :Totally agree, i love LFS even the interface is unique and straightforward. Few developers is no longer an argument. You deliver or not, there are many sims in 2020, many choice available, they are all good. And if you say "we do what we want" so good luck. I see so many ironic statement all around the web about LFS "will never ship anything new". In my opinion the studio should work in some way to get more money and hire more team member. It's a vicious circle. No update means no interest from players means no money.LFS need to make a step forward to show that it's still in da game. Many time myself and many friend wanted to upgrade the game but there is an "abandonware" feeling in the air.It's hard to define where we are with this game. I know that the sim is still updated but too slow in my opinion. We see the update progress news so frequently but no release at all.

This game should have a beta program to allow players to try the new updates like dx11. With or without steam it's not an issue. Thus workshop items would be very useful...Many studio have released half baked game versions nowadays but it's not an issue for the user as long as the game has something in its core. It's better to deliver something incomplete vs being perfectionist and release nothing or take too long.

Needs to be remembered that whom are new to LFS and are potential license buyers are happy with current product as it's all new to them. Obviously people will be even more happier once the updates are released and while for us that use VR we can say that LFS had some major updates which started to bring LFS forward, everyone might not use VR but it certainly has brought more people to liveforspeed and for those that had already been here for a while it brought more joy to racing here.
This thread is closed

March Progress Report - LFS in Direct3D 11
(117 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG