The online racing simulator
December Progress Report: South City
(194 posts, closed, started )
LFS is based on times when analog modems where still active (mentioning of 56k modem in host settings). I still have one in a box somewhere but I don't think its being used anymore around the world, maybe something for a museum to put on display but it's more a target for the garbage belt I'm afraid.

It all can use some upgrading to modern times and this costs time. It's fine, no need to ask every month how its going.
Quote from RC-Maus :47 cars online uses less the 1 mbit/s

Don't mix up Mbit with MB - the latter one is 8 times bigger and is the actual needed server upload bandwidth for 40 cars/47 server guests. But yes - it's really easy on CPU.
Since we're in modern times with more bandwidth available,maybe it's time to raise the 6 packets per second cap? To 10 maybe? Wouldn't make that much difference for servers/users,but would increase smoothness. Option of 12pps is already available for local network server.
@eclipsed u right MB/s
I can't find the january progress report Uhmm
Quote from cargame.nl :LFS is based on times when analog modems where still active (mentioning of 56k modem in host settings). I still have one in a box somewhere but I don't think its being used anymore around the world, maybe something for a museum to put on display but it's more a target for the garbage belt I'm afraid.

It all can use some upgrading to modern times and this costs time. It's fine, no need to ask every month how its going.

Would love to hear that sound again…
Damn thinking back at my Phone bills Smile
Quote from RC-Maus :@gu3st Think not many guys want to rent a game. And about ACC I like it but have hardly hours in it so maybe don't like it that much.

Atm I play mostly Wreckfest and I hope LFS will get that netcode Wink But I must say it's hard on server and with 24 players on server the server uses arround 20% cpu (4th gen i5 at 3.6ghz) and 12mbit/s.

When I whatch LFS server when it's busy it's 3 a 5% cpu usage and cpu is often at 800hz. 47 cars online uses less the 1 mbit/s
But cars also bit jumpy in lfs.

edit: mbit/s must be MB/s

ACC is probably the best package of "features in a sim" but I still have never managed to join an online race in ACC, and racing against AI doesn't really enthrall me.

Meanwhile I drove 250 races in 2019 in iRacing.
Quote from gu3st :ACC is probably the best package of "features in a sim" but I still have never managed to join an online race in ACC, and racing against AI doesn't really enthrall me.

Meanwhile I drove 250 races in 2019 in iRacing.

Nah since minorating quit AC assetto doomed before online safety could be controlled by minorating (something like airio) Now for me no fun at all. I just like it singleplayer Wink
According to progress reports we had, Eric would have spent something like at least 5 months on South City ... Let's not expect Fern Bay to be as up to date within a lesser timeframe !!!

ACC is quite beautiful (some things are disturbing me graphically : when you do great, everything has to be in the same level I suppose Big grin ), the feeling is quite good (except at 0-20 km/h when you touch the gas pedal) ... but I am not able to love it ... because of the single type of cars maybe ... Shrug
Anyway, Mount Panorama-Bathurst Heart ! Great addition, wonderful track !
Well knowing how different Fern Bay is compared to other tracks, it means 90% of the assets would be made from scratch, I guess 6 - 8 months of work are needed.

Hopefully we'll see some progress on the graphics and physics by then.
Quote from RC-Maus :@gu3st Think not many guys want to rent a game.

Well apparently a lot of people these days rent it Shrug
-
(Evolution_R) DELETED by Scawen : pointlessly exaggerated comparison and subsequent replies
-
(Bose321) DELETED by Scawen : pointlessly exaggerated comparison and subsequent replies
-
(Evolution_R) DELETED by Scawen : pointlessly exaggerated comparison and subsequent replies
-
(gu3st) DELETED by Scawen : pointlessly exaggerated comparison and subsequent replies
-
(False hope) DELETED by Scawen : pointlessly exaggerated comparison and subsequent replies
DELETED by Scawen : pointlessly exaggerated comparison and subsequent replies

Yeah. That's what she said.......
Think on the next update we could go back to having tinted windows? Limo tint is soooooo cool. Cause with clear windows? Yeah. They're just econoboxes. May as well put a fish sticker on the back.
I'm wondering if everything is okay with the development... a small progress report would be nice. Tongue
Everything is fine, but my work takes so long to make apparently tiny steps, I don't want to write about it every month.
I dunno... you should make stuff up on your progress reports and have these progress reports be about anything BUT LFS.
Like Going to the store to get something and they didn't have it so you went to another store...... Taking up goat yoga.... Having to bail a family member out of jail..... Complaining about one of the other devs joining a doomsday cult.... You know. Stuff like that to pass the time.
I think that would be more interesting than "added a new text string to the code that makes the car door sound" or whatever anyways.
Quote from Scawen :Everything is fine, but my work takes so long to make apparently tiny steps, I don't want to write about it every month.

Heya, how's Eric's work coming along? You wouldn't have to write much, just a few pictures would be grand!
Hard to write few sentences/month Big grin
Or a year, in your case.

Maybe it's the best to close this topic, nothing useful is being discussed anymore. The usual whining has taken over.
I thought we did quite a big progress report in December so I'm surprised people are getting a little impatient again. It doesn't seem very long ago.

We are working hard and don't have anything to say at the moment. I'm trying to get the graphics code finished and Eric is working on South City. But I don't think that is really new information.

I will close the thread now. Thank you all for the feedback and I'm pleased you like what you see, so far.
This thread is closed

December Progress Report: South City
(194 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG