The online racing simulator
Extra wide monitor.
(30 posts, started )
Extra wide monitor.
Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone has got experience from the Samsung 49" Super UltraWide Monitor (C49HG90)that was released some time ago. How does this monitor work with Live For Speed?

Meseplayer.
I'm pretty sure it will work straight out of box - maybe you'll need to adjust some settings for your preferences. No doubts about incar view,as LFS supports multiple monitor setups,so this one should work too,while TV view might be just centered classic 16:9 format.
I have to admit my experience ends with little testing of 2 monitors (never used as they're laptop+standalone monitor in different sizes),but I would never doubt to aquire such setup for LFS.
#3 - nacim
I have it, it works nicely. By default LFS thinks it's a 2 screen setup, but once you go in the settings and set it to 1 screen it works nicely in race. The menus are a bit squished though
Hi

Thanks for the answers. I have the BENQ EX3200R myself and that works great too. I have seen the Samsung in action on TV but newer tried it myself. It looked to me it wouldnt be so ...playable...it would be harder to find the apex and the curbes when it so extremely wide, is that really the case? If it squishes the menus and maybe also the wiew..that´s ofcourse not a good thing when you´r aiming for the most realism...

MP
Quote from Meseplayer :If it squishes the menus and maybe also the wiew..that´s ofcourse not a good thing when you´r aiming for the most realism...

Menu's are getting "squished" because they're not designed for such wide screen. They're just centered in the middle (practically in the middle "screen" of multiscreen setup) in the same 16:9 format as the TV view. Maybe at some point devs could add some flexibility for menus,but obviously currently they have other priorities.
Hi again.

Could You possibly attach a couple of prtscreens of menus and incar?

MP
I have to correct myself - the menus are indeed squished a bit,wonder why... Uhmm FOV90 at this specific screenshot,no idea what FOV is better,I normally use follow view (flamesuit:ON).
Attached images
Menu.jpg
incar.jpg
Quote from Eclipsed :I have to correct myself - the menus are indeed squished a bit,wonder why...

Could it be the X/Y scaling of the interface?
Attached images
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg
Quote from MandulAA :Could it be the X/Y scaling of the interface?

Nope - they're already have the maximum possible value of 1 (possible is 0.5-1).
This thread came at a good time. I'm also considering getting a 49" monitor because I would like the option to use a monitor setup from time to time, rather than having to use VR, even for casual racing sessions. I do not get on well with traditional multi-monotor setups, so I'm interested in trying an extra-wide. It's a big expense so I'm interested to get opinions from people who have used them. Rony, nacim, how do you get on with yours?
Quote from mbutcher :Rony, how do you get on with yours?

No no,I don't have one,I'm just trying to help by posting how it would look like - I have a laptop and an additional monitor,both in same resolution,so I can "simulate" ultrawide screen. Currently it's enough for me driving LFS with 24" FullHD 144Hz screen (limited to 100Hz for obvious reasons).
Ok, I understand, but...the left mirror...it can´t be like that ??
Is the height of the monitor (without the stand) really only 37 cm?

MP
Quote from Meseplayer :Ok, I understand, but...the left mirror...it can´t be like that ??

That's because of FOV - if you increase it,you can see more. It's also a matter of preference,everyone has to find his own.
Quote from Eclipsed :I have to correct myself - the menus are indeed squished a bit,wonder why... Uhmm

What are the settings in Options - View?

The way the menus are confined to the central third looks as if you have "multiple screen layout" set to 3 screens (1 left and 1 right).
Never tried these options - it was actually set to just 1 center screen. Setting to 2 screens (center and either left or right) puts the menu on the center screen unsquished,but menu's and other overlays are not centered,as the defined center screen is either left or right.
Maybe with some options fiddling it's possible to fix that,but - it's not really a problem for me,as I don't use both screens. Maybe Nacim can try more settings and share his experience,as he has an actual double wide screen.
Thanks. I've found the answer and can reproduce it with a stretched window.

If the width is 3x the height (or more) it assumes you are using a three screen setup (EDIT: and in that case confines the interface to the centre screen).

I think that is now outdated but I think it might work if it was changed to 4x instead of 3x.

Then it would still detect 3 screen setup if you connected 3 monitors with a 4:3 aspect ratio (12:3 overall -> assume 3 screens). But in the case of your setup it would not assume 3 screens and would display a 16:9 interface.
Yes, let's hope Nacim see this and tries different settings.
Quote from Scawen :Thanks. I've found the answer and can reproduce it with a stretched window.

If the width is 3x the height (or more) it assumes you are using a three screen setup (EDIT: and in that case confines the interface to the centre screen).

I think that is now outdated but I think it might work if it was changed to 4x instead of 3x.

Then it would still detect 3 screen setup if you connected 3 monitors with a 4:3 aspect ratio (12:3 overall -> assume 3 screens). But in the case of your setup it would not assume 3 screens and would display a 16:9 interface.

Hello Scawen,
Thanks for the insight. If you could add this to a test patch I would gladly try it.

I'll try some setups in a few hours and edit this post. Wink
Quote from Eclipsed :I have to correct myself - the menus are indeed squished a bit,wonder why... Uhmm FOV90 at this specific screenshot,no idea what FOV is better,I normally use follow view (flamesuit:ON).

if FOV 90 is the maximum you can set, then it is too low. I tried playing on two screens and I have the same view, can't set it higher than 90, don't know why. For some reason, you can set FOV up to 160 on 1080 screen
Hello,

I finally had some time to do some testing, and here are the results:

Default:

1 screen left and one center:

1 screen, unequal splits (1280-2560-1280):
Attached images
IMG_20200204_130411.jpg
IMG_20200204_130209.jpg
IMG_20200204_130222.jpg
Hi Nacim,

You seem to have a nice driving setup, for sure not the cheapest;-)
The third screen is the best in my mind, but it also would have been nice to see a screen (or even a video) from inside a car, both standard and open wheeler, maybe when entering a curve, how You see the apex and curbes?

I also found another interesting site/article;
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_c49rg90.htm

thanks,

Meseplayer
Quote from nacim :Hello,

I finally had some time to do some testing, and here are the results:

Thanks for the test. It's interesting that the 'unequal screen widths' can be used to adjust the interface, even when you set the number of left and right side screens to zero.

I think that can be used as a temporary solution but I should try changing the 3-screen detection to 4:1 instead of 3:1 in a test patch, as discussed.
@nacim: Which seat do you use? Looks interesting. Homemade or a purchased solution? :-)
Quote from Meseplayer :Hi Nacim,

You seem to have a nice driving setup, for sure not the cheapest;-)
The third screen is the best in my mind, but it also would have been nice to see a screen (or even a video) from inside a car, both standard and open wheeler, maybe when entering a curve, how You see the apex and curbes?

Thanks, sadly it's not my personal setup but a simrig I built at work (racing game studio, we must have a simrig Big grin). Still, I can go play whenever I wish outside work hours. Smile

Well, apexes are sure way easier to see than with a 16:9 or my 21:9, but can still be blocked by the A pillar on some rare occasions. On LFS it's not really a problem, I see this more often on Dirt Rally 2.0.
I attached a quick photo I got from my mate trying to survive with a Group B Lancia Delta S4 Big grin I'll try to make some shots with LFS when I can Wink

If you really need the maximum visibility in corners, a VR headseat is perfect. Still, we mostly use the screen as LFS act weirdly with our HTC Vive, head movement have ghosting that Assetto Corsa doesn't have. @Scawen do you have any idea on how I can fix this btw ? Smile

Quote from Pasci :@nacim: Which seat do you use? Looks interesting. Homemade or a purchased solution? :-)

It's the Fanatec RennSport Cockpit V2 with the Sparco Pro 2000 seat so no, not a homemade solution Wink
Attached images
fanatec.png

Extra wide monitor.
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG