The online racing simulator
December Progress Report: South City
(194 posts, closed, started )
Quote from taipalsaari :In my opinion, the real question now is: Do we have to buy S3 for this update or..?

It's a graphics engine update, Licenses system is only for contents.
Quote from taipalsaari :Do we have to buy S3 for this update or..?

S3 is content level,which currently gives you access to Rockingham. Physics and graphics are shared through all licence levels,however I suspect demo might be limited in terms daytime settings - who would like to give out such options for free.
Then again - I'm just assuming here,maybe devs will grant full daytime cycle only in S3 exclusive servers. Shrug
Thanks for the progress report! Thumbs up

South City looks really nice, so does LFS in HDR mode. Cars looks stunning too with the new HDR reflections Smile
I'm really happy that you decided to add the bloom now, I think it really starts to give the rendering a softer looks.

I hope to see headlights shadows to remove headlights going through the interio of the car in front like here:
Spoiler - click to reveal

Quote from taipalsaari :In my opinion, the real question now is: Do we have to buy S3 for this update or..?

no, i think

you just need buy s3 to acess all new content
it means cars and tracks / some features
That night racing looks awesome!
Quote from MacedoSTI :no, i think

you just need buy s3 to acess all new content
it means cars and tracks / some features

In my opinion the new content should be s4 and we all pay for it. I think the Devs need a little more to live than fresh english air.
Thank you for the progress report - it looks stunning! ^^
Spoiler - click to revealI've been wondering why we never saw the Scirocco in any of the progress reports so far... as far as I know the Scirocco is linked with the new physics system and will be released with it... or not? Shrug
Quote from Evolution_R :Thank you for the progress report - it looks stunning! ^^
Spoiler - click to revealI've been wondering why we never saw the Scirocco in any of the progress reports so far... as far as I know the Scirocco is linked with the new physics system and will be released with it... or not? Shrug

IIRC, the physics will be worked on *after* this track/lighting update has been released.
Quote from Degats :IIRC, the physics will be worked on *after* this track/lighting update has been released.

Do not spread missinformation. That has never been said and is relatively unlikely. The last message of Scawen I read pointed out that he would need to split his development version. And releasing those two major archivements in separated releases also is no good way in my opinion. Such cool new optics and features with the old physics and no new cars lowers the positive feeling so much.
Quote from CLRS530 :Do not spread missinformation.

I did preface with "IIRC" and evidently my mid-cold fuzzy head didn't quite RC.

I've had a dig and this is at least correct: "the physics will be worked on *after* this lighting update has been finished."

Quote from Scawen :I do hope the new tyre physics can be released with the new graphics, otherwise I'll have to move a copy of the old physics into the new version. We are long past the point where the new graphical changes could be merged into the old version. Too much has changed.

Copying old physics into the new version is possible but it's not what I want to do.

At the moment I am trying to get the lighting to a reasonable state where it can be left for a while so i can sort out the tyre physics.

This 60 FPS Videos are not 100% smooth. Yes i changed my monitor refresh rate to 60 FPS before watching.

Now i bought a ryzen 7 + Vega56 and LFS will be not completely smooth at 50 fps Vsync. When have unlimited fps it will have sometimes 200 - 1000 fps, but it is anyway not complete smooth. Some Parts of the track are smooth and in some edges, also edges where 1000 fps possible are unsmooth. Also when the fps rate is compatible with the 100 FPS Physics rate, lilke the 50 fps. 100/2=50 and not 60.
It's still work in progress - It will be fixed so it can run smooth @60 fps with vsync on and even without.
Quote from Evolution_R :It's still work in progress - It will be fixed so it can run smooth @60 fps with vsync on and even without.

When i buy such a VR-Item like Oculus Rift, this items have always 90 fps. Maybe 45 per eye or 90 per eye, i dont know. Then it should be 100% smooth and when i buy a 100 Hz Monitor, the same. Maybe the Physics rate and frame rate need to be synchronized.
Shame there's no proper shadows on the interiors of the cars yet, I wonder if that means the models will need redoing. Apart from that, it looks amazing, great job! I doubt it's coming soon, but I really hope it is Smile
Looks cool! Are the interiors looking really weird (like always lit up), or is it me? Especially the shadows the high buildings now generate are really cool so you get a lot of dark/shady parts in the city.

I'm sure the cruisers out here will enjoy parking in the new parking garages. Smile
Love those ripple strips, among other things.
Great work, keep it up.
If I was the one working on south city... I would have hidden secret under ground tunnel roads.

That one scenery car, seems to have an interior... but its not very race car looking, so doubt it will be drivable Wink
Congratulations, excelent comparisons!
Quote from Bose321 :Looks cool! Are the interiors looking really weird (like always lit up), or is it me?

They are not always lit up - only when there is a other car headlights behind. Maybe it is a little brighter than it should. Shrug
Quote from Bose321 :Looks cool! Are the interiors looking really weird (like always lit up), or is it me? Especially the shadows the high buildings now generate are really cool so you get a lot of dark/shady parts in the city.

I'm sure the cruisers out here will enjoy parking in the new parking garages. Smile

There is shadows casted on the car interior if you look well, most of the screenshots were taken in the sunset where the sun doesn't emit strong light.

Plus the cars interiors are probably still using the old shader system (diffuse/reflection) which doesn't take full advantage of the updated illumination system (no specularity from sun light and other light sources which make them look "shaderless"), for that he need to implement some sort of PBR shaders (Metalicness/specular/roughness/normal map....) and a complete rebuild of the car int/ext models to make them more detailed and diverse in term of geometry and textures, I guess Scawen is considering PBR materials when they begin the cars updates.
Very impressive lighting / shadow effects Thumbs up

South City also looks very impressive ... and with the many details you can see Eric's hard work too (but I didn't doubt it!). Thumbs up

If the windows of the cars were transparent, the models could run smoothly as new vehicles. Uhmm
Attached images
lfs-cars.jpg
Hm... the driver of this van cant drive/park... He crash into the pole Big grin
And he isn't between his lines, just like in real life Big grin

Quote from Evolution_R :They are not always lit up - only when there is a other car headlights behind. Maybe it is a little brighter than it should. Shrug

It's because of what I told earlier, car headlights do not cast shadows, so the lights of the car behind are leaking into the interior

Quote from nacim :I hope to see headlights shadows to remove headlights going through the interio of the car in front like here:
Spoiler - click to reveal

Oh, yes, I forgot about "the expensive night shadows" (from GTA IV) - I used to call them like that because they were hard on my old GPU. Big grin
This thread is closed

December Progress Report: South City
(194 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG