The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :
If the server InSim has been coded correctly, that should only come up when the updating is finished, not every frame.

Yes, thats right, it come ony sometimes and for ca three frames. I catched it with a video camera.

Quote from Scawen :I don't think anything has changed since version T so you would still get that message.

I never got that massage before U. I reinstalled T and get no such messages on the same server same track anymore. If the Message come have also the sound a short error.
Sorry, i got the "Generating" Message also in Version T. Maybe this was only chance that i got very much more generating messages in U5.
Are the InSim devs community going to get a chance to make feature request? I'd really love to see a packet for when a tyre touches different surfaces. For example, when a tyre goes from Asphalt to Paint, or Paint to Crub, or Crub to Grass. This would allow us to make our own rules very easily about the confines of the track. Within the engine it seems that it's possible to at least know when we go from Asphalt to Grass and back again.
Holy crap dygear is still here
#56 - robt
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :Holy crap dygear is still here

I just had the forum up in the background, saw the username on the last post and said exactly the same! Big grin...actually, given the era we are talking about, less Big grin and more Na-naNa-naNa-na

(sorry for the off topic!)
@Scawen
Would it be possible to add a shadow to the displayed text for "pit lane speed limit" and the arrow? Depending which surfaces/objects are behind this text, you can't read that info and/or the direction (arrow) or simply to late (when the car moves and the background is then darker). See the attached screenshot from the garage on Rockingham and the "shadow" of the "system messages". Perhaps that explain my suggestion better.

In addition, it might be helpful if we could adjust the fade time of this information.
Attached images
pitlane-speed-display.jpg
pitlane-speed-shadow-example.jpg
Maybe should be a separate thread, but it would be great if you could assign a button to recentre the headset tracking.

Pressing F8, then using space is not good for your racing. One button push on the wheel would be ideal.
Quote from jamesd256 :Maybe should be a separate thread, but it would be great if you could assign a button to recentre the headset tracking.

Pressing F8, then using space is not good for your racing. One button push on the wheel would be ideal.

Not sure but i think right button on mouse can do that.
Quote from Pasci :Would it be possible to add a shadow to the displayed text for "pit lane speed limit" and the arrow?

Options - Display - Drop shadows : [yes]

Quote from jamesd256 :Maybe should be a separate thread, but it would be great if you could assign a button to recentre the headset tracking.

I think this command does that: /vr reset_headset

You can assign text commands to keys and wheel buttons in Options - Controls - CTRL+ / ALT+
Quote from Scawen :Options - Display - Drop shadows : [yes]

Ups - I probably accidentally disabled this option sometime. - I'm sorry for the stupide question/request.
Quote from Scawen :Options - Display - Drop shadows : [yes]

BTW, is there a reason why this is still an option ? Uhmm
Yes, it's an option because some people don't like drop shadows.
@Scawen: This test patch exist since over 1 month. When do you plan to release this changes? Or do you plan to implement other things in this test patch?

I hope we will get a new progress report this month... so the release of this test patch can wait some days, too! :-)
I'm really busy working on the lighting so I've left the test patch for a while. There are a couple of small things on my list to add for this test patch but I'm trying to get other things done at the moment.
Thanks for your fast reply

Good luck with your lightning tasks.
Well, VR updates going next two months because is coming next new VR "Valve Index"...
Test Patch U6:

Changes from 0.6U5 to 0.6U6:

Gearshift debounce setting now applies to all controller buttons
Reduced maximum value of gearshift debounce to 100 ms (default 20)
FIX: Memory leak related to threads (most often for skin download)
More translations updated - thank you translators!

Download:

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/93185
@Scawen:

Because of little (but very helpful) changes of the AI behavior in the last patch/version, I have following question:

Why the AI can't drive with wind at level 2? At level 1 it is possible since some years. What's the reason that they are not able/allowed to drive with level 2? What's the difference?
Quote from Scawen :Test Patch U6:
Reduced maximum value of gearshift debounce to 100 ms (default 20)

I'm using it set to 200ms currently. 100ms is fine usually, but in a frantic situation such as banger racing it still catches me out quite a bit.
Quote from Pasci :Why the AI can't drive with wind at level 2? At level 1 it is possible since some years. What's the reason that they are not able/allowed to drive with level 2? What's the difference?

That is because there is no code to deal with wind strength. They don't adjust their style to deal with wind. For example if there was a strong tailwind down a straight, they might not brake in time for the corner.

Quote from Racon :I'm using it set to 200ms currently. 100ms is fine usually, but in a frantic situation such as banger racing it still catches me out quite a bit.

I'm not sure what you mean. The code is really intended to solve the problem of real switches oscillating a bit as they turn on or off. But it sounds like you want to have high settings to prevent yourself doing multiple gearchanges by mistake?
I have a flakey microswitch on my downshift, it fires on and off constantly when held down. Despite much effort at training myself, it takes me a conscious effort to do a 'fast click' (click and release in under 100ms) rather than a 'lazy click' (however long I take when I'm not thinking about it, somewhere between 150 and 200ms). As soon as the racing gets frantic, I slip back to lazy click.

I used 100ms when you first changed the debounce code and that worked perfectly in testing, but as soon as the next banger meet came up I'd double-downshifted by mistake once or twice in each of the first three races. I upped it to 150ms and for the rest of the night I only did it again a few times in ten or so more races. I upped the limit again to 200ms after that and now it's rare for it to happen at all, even when the racing's frantic.

If it was upshift I wouldn't mind, but double-downshift by mistake in a banger oval and your engine is damaged, even if you manage to avoid ending up backwards or getting tagged by the car behind.

I appreciate it's not exactly what the debounce is for, but one unintended repeat signal is as good as any other, no?
Thanks, now I understand your problem is different as the switch oscillation is not only at the start and end. So I'll revert to 200ms for the maximum in the next test patch.
Much appreciated, thank you Thumbs up
This thread is closed

Test Patch U16: Updates and fixes
(392 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG