The online racing simulator
Expect Forum Disruptions
(74 posts, started )
Today (wednesday 16 aug) there is some more downtime planned. Probably in the morning / midday (CET).
There will be a final software inspection, to see if there's something (quite) misconfigured. If not (which i think will be the case) we're going to replace the motherboard. Especially since i discovered lately that the server was running on just 1 cpu all this time, instead of 2.
So this server simply has some serious issues and replacement sounds like a plan to me (it's warranty anyway).

Just updating you all again, so you won't be surprised if we're unavailable at some point(s).
Quote from Victor :Today (wednesday 16 aug) there is some more downtime planned. Probably in the morning / midday (CET).
There will be a final software inspection, to see if there's something (quite) misconfigured. If not (which i think will be the case) we're going to replace the motherboard. Especially since i discovered lately that the server was running on just 1 cpu all this time, instead of 2.
So this server simply has some serious issues and replacement sounds like a plan to me (it's warranty anyway).

Just updating you all again, so you won't be surprised if we're unavailable at some point(s).

JUst for curiosiy sake, can you tell us the brand/name of the server you are using, I wouldn't want to buy or use one if it has that type of problem
IIRC they made them themselves.
yes - it's an Intel board though, but that doesn't really indicate that intel is crap
Quote from Victor :yes - it's an Intel board though, but that doesn't really indicate that intel is crap

Don't get a big Intel vs AMD discussion started... Good luck with the server
Quote from Victor :yes - it's an Intel board though, but that doesn't really indicate that intel is crap

Does that mean we will soon see "2nd hand computer for sale" on the forum?

Seriously you have the money to afford the very best in hardware and experts to assemble / service it, so i'm sure we'll soon see all the problems resolved
i believe they're going to replace the whole thing, but as it's warranty, the old (and faulty too) hardware goes back to the shop

Anyway, yes the new server should fly. Remember in april, when things were slow here, it was because the forum ran on just 1 cpu (and a faulty nic, slowing things down even more)
I just thought vB ran a heavy load
/relate
Quote from TagForce :Don't get a big Intel vs AMD discussion started... Good luck with the server

lulz!
yes... i am an amd fanboy... intel and amd, as far as design goes, are incredibly designed... but after having studied comp arch (as a hobby, and at university) and having seen some internals of p4s and athlons, i chose AMD...

for server though, you can't beat dual slot1 p3s on a 440BX mobo!!!

(spam spam...)
Quote from Victor :Remember in april, when things were slow here, it was because the forum ran on just 1 cpu (and a faulty nic, slowing things down even more)
I just thought vB ran a heavy load

That is refreshing news
lol vic are you sure that wasn't just the massive F5 mashing that caused that problem in april?
Quote from george_tsiros :
for server though, you can't beat dual slot1 p3s on a 440BX mobo!!!

(spam spam...)

Blatant spam:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/prod ... bl/p-class/45p/index.html
(we use those ourselves for multiple purposes, and they work great, if somewhat noisy)

On topic:

They're going to replace the entire server?
Nice going considering it's a clone (selfbuilt) machine. Will they be transferring the harddisks or are they going to be transferring the hardware data?
If it's the latter, then I'd expect some major downtime (like a couple of hours), or major slowness of the forum.

EDIT: By the way, I love the more 'friendly' no longer welcome userstate
well, they stuck in a new nic for the meantime, so the network speed should be quite ok now.

new server is ordered - with a bit of luck, it can replace the current one by the end of next week, or otherwise the week after that.
Cool

wow, it's a bit fast :o
#65 - Mc21
Cheers for the update Vic
Victor,
Its wonderfull....I got 700+ KB/sec speed download from this server against the previous 40-50KB/sec.Thats really massive improvement.
ITs like going from Trabant to F1 Sauber

I like very much the edited screenshots thread and it was frustrating waitng for any file to show up on my screen.

The forum run definately smooth as well.Great job and thanks.
Yeah works much better now :thumbs up:

Maybe this time you guys wont need to shut down avatars when next update is announced
#68 - joen
good news, thanks for your efforts
#69 - axus
Nice, Victor

Faster still... RSC has a long way to go
RSC will never get there either. The longer it travels the further the distance remaining. The easy one - just pretend it doesn't exist. Your sim racing life will be much improved too
okay, it took a while, but the new server is hooked up and I'm preparing it to takeover this current server.
The changeover will be on wednesday or thursday this week and when it happens the forum will be unavailable for at least an hour - I'm thinking more towards 2 hours though.

Again just letting you know in advance that there will be forum disruptions soon, but it's all for the better
#72 - axus
Awww, poor Jakg then. Can't imagine what he'll do without the LFS forum for 2 hours.

Again, thanks for the heads up Victor and great work
Quote from axus :Awww, poor Jakg then. Can't imagine what he'll do without the LFS forum for 2 hours.

atempted mass suicide with all those high up on the sadness rating i guess

if only every forum was admined that good ... to be fair most admins cant make a living off it
Well, he has the Yetisports link now... lol
so he can play that instead

Expect Forum Disruptions
(74 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG