The online racing simulator
Small bug to report, when doing a replay the menu is fine but looks like the fix hasn't affected the actual replay itself and still needs PP activated to view so you get a strange sort of double image over a perfect menu.
Good one, I think I know what that is.

In replay mode you are supposed to be looking at a simulation of a 3D TV screen in front of you. The edges of that 3D TV probably look correct but I'm guessing the left and right eye images on the TV pictures have been rotated but they shouldn't be. They should be drawn "old style" because they aren't actually related to the headset. I'm probably not explaining very well but I'll check it out tomorrow along with the few other bugs.
Yes, that does sound like it, let me know when its done and I will make time to test it (Pimax is now in the F1 car so its not as easy to test as before)

Quote from Gavin Kay :I haven't had any issues with fps on anything yet but I haven't tried anything really demanding - NoLimits2 demo is probably the most taxing but using brainwarp it runs very smoothly.

I have tested with default settings on a 770GTX, kept getting total crashes/freezes/green screen. After swapping to a 3GB 1060 yesterday it ran perfectly on default settings for a good 40 minutes with very little noticeable frame rate drop.
Hi Gavin,

We hope to release the full version tomorrow so if you have any time to check T6 this evening, to confirm if the TV cameras view works correctly now, that would be quite reassuring.

Thanks to you and emiljensen2 for the bug reports and testing.

I like the way OpenVR allows us to support more headsets as time goes on.
Hi,

All confirmed working fine now.
Thanks
It seems on the autocross track there's trees, these rotate with head motion and look different in each eye when parallel projection is disabled.
Quote from emiljensen2 :It seems on the autocross track there's trees, these rotate with head motion and look different in each eye when parallel projection is disabled.

I have gave this a try and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I did note they seem to be blowing in the wind and twisting slightly but nothing excessive, they all looked OK to me from a distance (I didn't have the lighthouse enabled at the time on this test)
Quote from Gavin Kay :I have gave this a try and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I did note they seem to be blowing in the wind and twisting slightly but nothing excessive, they all looked OK to me from a distance (I didn't have the lighthouse enabled at the time on this test)

That's how they look when I have PP enabled.
My bad, I had PP turned on already. Yes, the trees to the left are as you said, the ones on the right are fine.`
Quote from Gavin Kay :My bad, I had PP turned on already. Yes, the trees to the left are as you said, the ones on the right are fine.`

I'd expect the trees to work in the same manner engine wise, yeah it seems the row of trees looks very different in each eye. The single corner tree might only be a little different, it certainly moves with head motion though.

Man LFS really is astonishing, everything is so crystal clear and you can tell even more the difference between vive and pimax when interacting with the menus and so on.
I'm not sure why LFS still seems to be the only dev to implement showing current IPD ingame, and rendering resolution. Showing the render resolution really shows you just how much higher the resolution is with PP which explains the performance issues in other games.
I can't understand why that happens. If I use a modified DLL to send in the Pimax values and render the special rotated views, the trees just move around with the other objects as expected.

The trees do go through a different render system, because they are moving objects, but they are all rendered to the same render target and LFS is supposed to be in control of that. Some other objects go through that system: the driver body, the wind turbines, the marshals, the skid marks, tyres on cars, the visible frame on the MRT and the suspension parts on single seaters and LX cars, the racing line (when you press 4). Quite a lot in fact.

As I can't reproduce the problem, I need to ask you some questions:

1) I'd be interested to know if there is a problem with any of the other special objects listed above.

2) Can you post a screenshot of the problem? Please switch on the "double" option for "Monitor view" so you see both eye views on the LFS window. Then you can press CTRL+S at any time and you should find a screenshot in your data\shots folder.

I've only seen a similar thing before with some 3D glasses which were trying to hook into the D3D code to produce a 3D image from programs that weren't designed to produce 3D images. But they didn't really know what to do with anything that didn't go through the main pipeline, so all those objects I listed were not positioned correctly. But that shouldn't be happening here as LFS does the 3D views itself.
Quote from Scawen :I can't understand why that happens. If I use a modified DLL to send in the Pimax values and render the special rotated views, the trees just move around with the other objects as expected.

The trees do go through a different render system, because they are moving objects, but they are all rendered to the same render target and LFS is supposed to be in control of that. Some other objects go through that system: the driver body, the wind turbines, the marshals, the skid marks, tyres on cars, the visible frame on the MRT and the suspension parts on single seaters and LX cars, the racing line (when you press 4). Quite a lot in fact.

As I can't reproduce the problem, I need to ask you some questions:

1) I'd be interested to know if there is a problem with any of the other special objects listed above.

2) Can you post a screenshot of the problem? Please switch on the "double" option for "Monitor view" so you see both eye views on the LFS window. Then you can press CTRL+S at any time and you should find a screenshot in your data\shots folder.

I've only seen a similar thing before with some 3D glasses which were trying to hook into the D3D code to produce a 3D image from programs that weren't designed to produce 3D images. But they didn't really know what to do with anything that didn't go through the main pipeline, so all those objects I listed were not positioned correctly. But that shouldn't be happening here as LFS does the 3D views itself.

I'm not sure if I installed a dll from this thread, I used the ingame update to update my game.

1) No I haven't actually noticed it really with anything else, I can't unfocus on the trees when driving with others on autocross though. But giving the lx a go on the sprint circuit I didn't notice anything with those trees, until I saw the orange trees in the back of one of the corners.

2) I'm hoping you can see the difference on the images, didn't really expect them to be so far away on screenshot heh. You can see the one under the pit light is more dense in one side.
I also created a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWld-KW-HRM
Attached images
lfs_00000010.png
lfs_00000011.png
Thanks, I think I have some idea what it is now. Probably a more subtle effect than I was imagining from your first post on this issue. Now I see that the trees are at least in the right place but it's the individual branches and leaf objects that will have an unexpected rotation. And it would only affect the trees, not those other things I mentioned. It's related to a sort of trick with those trees. In fact we aren't using them in the new graphics system because they didn't work with the new shadows.

I'll try to think of a way to see this for myself without a Pimax.

The video doesn't work for me at the moment but I'll probably have a look tomorrow.
Quote from Scawen :Thanks, I think I have some idea what it is now. Probably a more subtle effect than I was imagining from your first post on this issue. Now I see that the trees are at least in the right place but it's the individual branches and leaf objects that will have an unexpected rotation. And it would only affect the trees, not those other things I mentioned. It's related to a sort of trick with those trees. In fact we aren't using them in the new graphics system because they didn't work with the new shadows.

I'll try to think of a way to see this for myself without a Pimax.

The video doesn't work for me at the moment but I'll probably have a look tomorrow.

Yeah I made a small whoopsie on the video, shadowplay doesn't really indicate upload status. I've re-uploaded it, should be up in about 10 mins on the link above.
Your description sounds pretty spot on. I do think I saw some black flicker in the distance at certain parts as well, probably not related, and at this point I can't remember if it happened with PP on or off.
Quote from Scawen :OK, it should be fixed in this test patch.
You can also select the "Resolution adjustment" aka PPD / Supersampling.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/93185

Trees working fine now. Pretty good.
Could this have affected overhead names in any way? It feels like they're different now weirdly, like wrong depth or something to that affect.

Actually nevermind I jumped back and forth a few times, and I finally noticed it on U. Is there a depth setting or something alike? My IPD is set to the one my prescription says.
Thanks for the feedback on the tree fix. Even though they aren't included in the new LFS, it was worth a quick fix.

As you say, the overhead names have not changed. Please could you test with PP and see if there is any problem with the names in that case. So I'll know if I need to have a look into the names drawn in rotated eye views.

EDIT: Had a quick look in the code and I'm pretty sure they are suffering from a similar thing to the tree issue you noticed. I can reproduce it in a special view mode here. For example they might look a bit odd if you tilt your head left and right. It's something to do with them turning to face the user and it's only getting that value as if the eyes were not rotated. It assumes both eye views have the same direction. So I don't really need another test result at this point. Thanks for the report.
Quote from Scawen :Thanks for the feedback on the tree fix. Even though they aren't included in the new LFS, it was worth a quick fix.

As you say, the overhead names have not changed. Please could you test with PP and see if there is any problem with the names in that case. So I'll know if I need to have a look into the names drawn in rotated eye views.

EDIT: Had a quick look in the code and I'm pretty sure they are suffering from a similar thing to the tree issue you noticed. I can reproduce it in a special view mode here. For example they might look a bit odd if you tilt your head left and right. It's something to do with them turning to face the user and it's only getting that value as if the eyes were not rotated. It assumes both eye views have the same direction. So I don't really need another test result at this point. Thanks for the report.

Yeah I started testing it with PP and it seems fine. (Also I didn't notice it when I played with PP prior to the patches, only now so that would seem to further confirm)
Such small things, yet play with your head hah.
Something always comes around I guess.
Is it my imagination, or could names possibly fade in a bit faster in one eye?
It's not your imagination!

Good find, thanks! Smile
Hello Pimax users,

A user reported a few days ago that he can't start LFS with the Pimax.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/95025

I found this post from 2019 where TRM.13 got a crash until he disabled Fixed Foveated Rendering.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1951489#post1951489

So I thought I should ask if other Pimax users have the same problem? Does it always crash if FFR is enabled? I'd like to know if this is a bug in the Pimax system (so they should fix it) or if LFS is doing something wrong or could somehow detect and avoid FFR.

Pimax VR IPD stuck and weird resolution [FIXED]
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG